Do successor chapters follow company layout from the DA?

Tiger9gamer

So, I was wondering about the Dark angel successors and the company layout. Since the 1st company is all terminator troops For the Dark Angels, would the successor chapters have enough terminator armor to do the same? I guess the 2nd founding chapters, but what about, say, the Knights of Caliban or the Guardians of the Covenant? 

Thanks for helping me understand the fluff better and to help design my DIY chapter. :)

The Codex notes that all Unforgiven chapters share the Dark Angels structure if not their names and color scheme. That be said, brothers have taken artistic license with their DIY armies saying they are of a newer founding and so they don't have enough equipment to put their 1st in Terminator armor completely. (Thus, allowing them to be fielded under the Space Marine Codex instead.) I have taken artistic license by saying the Rock houses an STC construct that allows for the construction of new suits of Terminator armor and getting around the limitations. Because of the tight lipped nature of the Dark Angels, the Techmarines do not learn of it until they return from Mars and establish themselves within the Dark Angels (Circles within circles).

Remember the vagaries are in place by design to allow the creativity of us the gamers and collectors. There does not have to be a definitive answer to your question. It was left open to interpretation to allow you to go either way with your force and be okay with it.

hmmm, that would be a cool idea for the deathwing, to have the STC. Thanks!

What if my chapter liked bikes more? say, they lost quite a bit of terminators and were unable to replace them in time, so they shrunk down the Deathwing in order to get more Ravenwing? maybe even combining the two companies together?

((and should have my DIY chapter be in the Dark angel section? ))

I would say leave them as two separate companies but the First is currently rebuilding and so the Second is fulfilling more of their roles. It is not unprecedented as the Ultramarines did it after the First was lost to Hive fleet Behemoth.

Just to point out one more thing: up until the last Codex, the Assault Reserve company could be fielded with bikes as in a normal codex chapter.

There's nothing to stop you reverting to that, and perhaps splitting the "normal" RW duties over the the two companies - perhaps the Assualt Co does the initial recon, and then the RW takes over (maybe your RW has a higher proportion of Black Knights within it to accomplish this task?). Sort of how the DW take over the 1st Co, and so the Battle Companies have Comapny Vets instead (many of whom may have taken their first steps on the path to the DW).

Do remember, though, that the Dark Angels only ostensibly follow the Codex structure. Yeah, the Deathwing is the First Company, the Ravenwing is the Second Company, there are three Battle Companies, four Reserve Companies, and a Scout Company. In actual practice, though, the Codex states that the Companies are fielded as composite strike forces that include elements of the Deathwing and the Ravenwing (and, I would assume Scouts as well).

What that basically means is that the organizational structure the Dark Angels pretend to have is secondary to the actual structure, which is the one that pursues the objectives of the Inner Circle. As long as that structure exists - the Deathwing and Ravenwing equivalents - and as long as the Successor doesn't reveal their purpose to outsiders, I imagine anything goes. The faux-Codex look is probably just there for the sake of projecting the appearance of conformity: "Nothing unusual to see here!" I honestly believe the only reason why the Ravenwing is the Second Company is because it would have been too much of a pain to have two different Companies (the Sixth and Seventh) under two different Masters carrying out ostensibly the same mission, at the same time, but with different vehicles.

Archived