New wip sm army

Well it's entirely down to you, have a look through various websites to learn more about the Aztecs and which bits you feel could translate into paintable miniatures.

I usually split my models into two classes - bright & vibrant or dark & gore-splattered. I'd recommend choosing a colour theme early on to help painting.

I agree with Brother God-Pockito about the gore. I would lean away from the blood splatters and gore myself, but only because if this were my project, my critical focus would be mincy little detailed iconography.

You ask for answers, you shall have them! If I were going to do an Aztec marine force, I'd first make one big decision: Aztec how we expect they may have looked in their prime, or Aztec as their ruins and current status looks now. You may say 'Duh, old Aztec' but stop and think about the implications! 

If you entirely base your Aztec scheme on artist's interpretations and deciphering the pigments on walls and codices, you may (in the process) fail to sell to the average onlooker 'Gosh, that's so Aztec' since lots of aztec stuff currently looks like this: 

http://www.crystalinks.com/aztecalendarstone.jpg

Here's an artist's rendering of the same piece with 'period looking' pigments. Can we really be sure Aztec inks were so muted in their prime?

http://fortheloveofchristi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/aztec_calendar.gif

You'll find this same calendar rendered in every color in the rainbow. Look at the intricacy, the heavy reliance on RED and TAN toward the outside, perhaps representing harsh lands and harsh lives? As you move toward the center of your icons, increase the green elements to express the lush verdant aspect of the capital lands.  Big colorful icons appear to be a must! 

As for the parts of your marines not loaded down with painted details and icons, I'd stick to muted stonework tones. This will help tie the project to the Aztec ruins folks will immediately think of when 'Aztec' comes to mind. 

http://clccharter.org/lilian1/Images/Aztecpyramid.gif

Finally, I'd experiment with head-dresses and ceremonial garb additions to the marines. Bands of circular gold armor plates, animal skins, feathers. I would make sure that the Marines you make carry the pride and surety that has also become synonymous with Aztec culture. Look at how proud this guy is. Outstanding! 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u514Gx6PMAQ/TMohRH_6_-I/AAAAAAAAAbA/OQtTBOaqPQc/s1600/Aztec_Indian_Window_Rock_New_Mexico-1024x768.jpg

P.S. No Numbers! Don't even dare, instead, use artistic bezier curved lines with 'knots' for tactical livery.

Just make sure you name at least one of them "Monty" as a tribute to one of the most epic mascots ever, SDSU's Monty Montezuma.

http://mascotology.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/monty-1996.jpg

Dude had a flaming spear which he threw at things, blew a conch shell, and got in real life brawls with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson until the political correct police decided that a buff, good-looking dude with a flaming spear was offensive to an extinct native American civilization that was beat off the planet by the Spaniards. 

On a more serious note, Lizardmen can provide cool bits and inspiration, as they're more or less Aztec themed out of the box. You might even be able to appropriate some of their bitz if you're dilligent on EBay or some of the still-existing bitz sites. There's a fairly good Rainbow Warriors idea for Aztec-themed Marines here: http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-06-01-reimage-rainbow-warriors.shtml   And this picture.

Those are pretty cool.

Chapter layout

The chapter master is Cuautehmoc

1st company=Itzcoatl

2nd company Moctezuma (also pronounced montezuma)

3rd company=Atlemoc

4th company=Quetacal

5th company=Ehecatl

6th company=Coaxcoch

7th company=Ilhicamina

8th company=Necalli

9th company=Quauhtli

10th company=Nopaltzin

High Chaplain (Quetzacoatl) is Yayauhqui

Chief librarian  (Atlcitlali) is Tonauac

THe Quetzacoatl is the equivalent of the high chaplain and the Atlcitlali is the equivalent of a chief librarian

One thing to consider, however, is over-doing it. You can end up like the Space Wolves where everything is wolfy wolf wolf vikings riding on wolves. In my opinion, it is best to make references to the cultural inspirations you want to use, but without just essentially making them "Aztecs Innnnn Spaaaaaace."

Especially with Aztec words and names which are ridiculously hard to pronounce for people unfamiliar with the language, lol

Just like people over-Latinizing names for Space Marines (there were zero GW chapters with Latinized names until the guys at FW decided to rename the Space Sharks), there's really no need to completely redo and rename everything. Plenty of official chapters exist that draw on cultural themes, but keep all the traditional names and organization. That's because 40,000 years in the future, the real Aztecs are long gone and forgotten by all but the mustiest and dustiest of record keepers and historians. But Space Marine organization and culture is entrenched in millennia of tradition.  

Basically, borrow from, don't replicate. 

One thing to consider, however, is over-doing it. You can end up like the Space Wolves where everything is wolfy wolf wolf vikings riding on wolves. In my opinion, it is best to make references to the cultural inspirations you want to use, but without just essentially making them "Aztecs Innnnn Spaaaaaace."

Especially with Aztec words and names which are ridiculously hard to pronounce for people unfamiliar with the language, lol

Just like people over-Latinizing names for Space Marines (there were zero GW chapters with Latinized names until the guys at FW decided to rename the Space Sharks), there's really no need to completely redo and rename everything. Plenty of official chapters exist that draw on cultural themes, but keep all the traditional names and organization. That's because 40,000 years in the future, the real Aztecs are long gone and forgotten by all but the mustiest and dustiest of record keepers and historians. But Space Marine organization and culture is entrenched in millennia of tradition.  

Basically, borrow from, don't replicate. 

These are exactly my thoughts too. Very sound advice indeed. You are absolutely spot on about the Space Wolves. A perfect example of a theme being hugely over-emphasized to the point of parody.

I used to have such a soft spot for them too, back when they were just grey marines with canines and the odd wolf tooth necklace.

New Idea, Units can be upgraded with paths of the eagle or jaguar for 15 points.Eagle means +1move and initiative and jaguar=+1 strenth and toughness. Sorry about lack of pictures I dont currently have any space marine models cos i usually play eldar. might do a mock up and of good an apothecary for a 5 man kill team.

My suggestion for your names would be to shorten them slightly. Choose one or two catchy syllables from each name that have a nice ring to them for example;

Atlemoc = Lemoc

Quetacal = Tacal

Moctezuma = Zuma

You get the picture. That way you give a subtle nod to your cultural reference without over doing it, and of course there is the added benefit that everyone can actually pronounce the names of your Space Marines. :P

Archived