Novice Painter, 3rd Model Ever

AshenKnight

Sup guys,

Thought I'd share my work in progress. I've got my hands on my first troops for my first army - Grey Knights. Previously I've painted an Ultramarine and a Blood Angel so this is my third miniature ever and I am really enjoying the hobby.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2j1v77d.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/20gfujp.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/rcjblu.jpg

Throw me some criticism so I can get back to work!

See you on the battlefield!

Criticism...it's a Grey Knight!

Seriously. Very nice. Crisp and clean. Maybe a little heavy on the scrolls shadows.

And if that's your 3rd ever mini, well, I quit.

Yea that's something I was thinking about afterwards. The parchment across the knee pad I really stuffed up and I felt like I couldn't go back over it or else it may come out worse - so I left it.

Are Grey Knights bad?

I really like these models but have no idea how to actually play the game and what their stats/strategies are.

I have a Grey Knight terminator set - what would you recommend I kit them out with for general play? I was told 1 physcanon, 2 haberd and 1 hammer? Sound about right?

I.. I quit, That's brilliant for your third model.. Please tell me you have some sort of artistic background...verymad.gifsweat.gif

I have faced GK forces twice and both have been close games, so i don't see a problem with them apart from Fluff.. Some of its a little out of handwallbash.gifverymad.gif

Keep it up mate teehee.gif

Ok everyone relax it was obviously just a typing error. He's been painting 3 models a day for the last 10 year's and what he meant to write was "This is my 3rd model today" :P

Seriously though great work bud. That would be an impressive model if it was the 100th you'd done never mind the 3rd. Colour me impressed. I'll be expecting great things from you. Happy hobbying and nice to meet you. :)

Third model? I don't believe you. Or maybe you are one of those god-painters whose skills are my lifelong envy :)

Seriously, this is a great-looking piece, looking forward to seeing it finished. Excellent shade of metal, everything is so neat and spot-on. Are you going to put script on the scroll and the seal?

Lol. Sorry. The Grey Knight comment was coming from someone who prefers Chaos ;)

With the parchment you could brush a thinned layer or two of the main colour over the whole thing. Glazing is what it's called. Google it before trying and don't have too much glaze on your brush. You can always add more layers which works better than one, uneven thick one.

Thanks guys it means a lot especially when you paint your own models cause they cost so much money you put everything into them!

I hope I can bring you guys bigger and better things! Geez I'm pretty stoked with some of these comments!

I've been watching a lot of online tutorials - mainly space marine ones. I noticed a lot of people use a blue wash with their Grey Knights but I didn't have one to I had to make do with this very metallic dark look. Surprisingly, I prefer it! Doesn't make them looking so daunting and over powered and magical :P

More to come and I'll post it here!

Don't forget that any acrylic paint can be turned into a wash with water or Lamian Medium (there are others but that's the GW one). But at the end of the day, they are your minis so colour is your choice too.

So I was already to do the "thin your paints, 3 thin layers beats 1 thick everytime etc" but you got all that so lets hit heavy and HARD

Bolter Barrels! good got that covered.

The parchment seems artificial, perfectly fine but I'm nitpicking here, add some script and you'll be fine. 

Man, I got nothing. These are darn fine examples of models, 3rd or not. I mean I didn't even try script for like a month! But I feel like you're ready to start doing those little details. Looks amazing dude. 

Thanks man, means a lot. I'm going to get these weapons fixed by the end of the week. I'll return to tranditional nemesis blade. I try to water my paints down as much as I can because I have a small process with my paints. Dark grey, wash, boltgun thinned and then a mithril highlight. Just try to stick to that process. Thanks for the mention on the bolter- it actually came out much better than I thought it would!

Once I'm done I'll show you guys some better pictures so you can critique more!

Scripts comin' right up!

Looks great overall. The bolter should be drilled for sure, and you may want to reconsider the superbright-red housing of it. The rest of the model is relatively subdued, and the bolter housing is kind of IN YOUR FACE RED, or maybe it's just camera flash shenanigans.

I don't at all mind the weapon, though you may want to add lightning effect to it. There are some excellent tutorials out there that explain how it can be done - even I was able to paint a passable power weapon at one point just by following the instructions, and I have no talent when it comes to painting. It'll probably be a cinch for you.

And do consider adding some script to scrolls and books, it doesn't have to actually "say" anything, but faint black squiggles do just fine.

Bolter's drilled and ready to rock.

Unforunately one is kind of lopsided heh, that's okay I got plenty to spare.

Thanks heaps for the recognition and the tips guys. I can really appreciated a hard-worked model now. It's so tedious and difficult!

My next update will be a fully painted squad.

See you guys in the next few weeks!

Just a bit of an update to this as I'm working on the new nemisis weapons.

It's not complete yet but I've just primed and based the whole lot of them and this was my outcome- please note that it's no finished but this is the idea anyway. I still need to clean it up and also do a hard, crisp white edge highlight. The handle and hilt is also untouched and will be painted soon. The blade looks pink in this but it's actually pruple and the tip of black, I think the flash made it look a little too pink than what it actually is!

Thanks!

http://i42.tinypic.com/sccm6r.jpg

Archived