The horror - I discovered our true dark secret!

GreenMoss

I was poking around and stumbled on 1st edition painting guide and lo, here was the horrible inescapable truth... We're not even the original Green Marines... It was the Salamanders all along! And I suspect there are those among you who had known about this and kept this terrible secret from your Brothers... Nor will I be surprised if this post and its author suddenly just disappear... http://www.lski.org/pictures/tabletopgaming/gw/Guides%20and%20Catalogs/Games%20Workshop%20-%20Space%20Marines%20-%20Painting%20Guide%20-%201st%20ed.pdf

Sigh...  Please proceed to Chamber 42, and sit in the BLACK chair...  (to equerry) Ready the neuralizer and see if Ezekial has time in his schedule...

It has always been thus brother.  We recolored our armor in the distant past as a tribute to verdent Caliban so long ago lost to us....

(or ya know...  the studio just thought we looked better in green than the sallies did)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dark_Angels#.Uo5Jd9K-pwY

(or ya know... the studio just thought we looked better in green than the sallies did)

There's 2 versions about that IIRC

-1 a painter simply messed up and thought he was asked to paint salamanders. Since it was too late to re-paint all the tactical he has already done it was decided to let it like that.

2- it was asked to paint an EPIC DA army. But due to the size of the models, PA units just looked under coated in black, or grey if they tried to put highlights.. So it was decided to paint them in another colour to make them look properly...

Don't know which is true... Probably both are wrong...

(or ya know... the studio just thought we looked better in green than the sallies did)

There's 2 versions about that IIRC

-1 a painter simply messed up and thought he was asked to paint salamanders. Since it was too late to re-paint all the tactical he has already done it was decided to let it like that.

2- it was asked to paint an EPIC DA army. But due to the size of the models, PA units just looked under coated in black, or grey if they tried to put highlights.. So it was decided to paint them in another colour to make them look properly...

Don't know which is true... Probably both are wrong...

There's a third version that I heard - they got the name on the pot of paint wrong (as in the paints were labelled with the wrong name), and GW went with it anyway.

Then there is a fourth theory...  

Black Armor under a yellow sky made some nice green highlights and the team looked at it and went, "Hey, this dark green almost black looks good... what color do we have that matches it?"

Cover of WD 117 and the box for Space Marine (Epic mk II)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/WD117.png

That's the story I remember hearing many years ago (no idea of the source). John Burns painted them with a hint of green and the idea stuck.

I tried to find the original painting recently but with no success. sad.png

There was a fifth theory too - that the Salamanders icon was too difficult to paint compared to the DA one, so the DA became the 'green army'. I do have an old White Dwarf somewhere with some cool looking black DA on the back. Not sure I have it any more, sadly.

But the picture quoted by Brother Dean is also an oft suggested theory. Sallies did use to be dark green - just look at the box art for Battle for Armaggedon.

Here's the 7th theory. All the traitor legions changed their heraldry colours. Food for thought brothers.

So you're saying that the Space Wolves are also traitors?

Dunno if it has been retconned yet, but pre-heresy they had a dark grey colour scheme as per IA: 13th Great Company article as well as per C:Eye of Terror.

Archived