DW Knights and Rad Grenades

L30n1d4s

As touched on in the Codex: Inquisition thread in this forum, fluff-wise DA would not be working with Inquisitors, but just for gameplay sake, I think there is a pretty potent combination (perhaps the Xenos inquisitor has a common alien enemy that is working with a member of the Fallen, hence the cooperation, on the surface at least, between the DA and the big I)

-DW Knights with Relic of the Unforgiven

-Ordos Xenos Inquisitor with PML1 (for Divination/Prescience), Rad Grenades, Plasma Syphon, Liber Hereticus, Scythian Venom Claw, and the Servo Skulls.

Now, what does this guy bring to the DW Knights?

1 - Cheap Divination + WS5 means that every turn (unless he fails Psychic test) they will be hitting most enemies on re-rollable 3+s, so making the most of their attacks.

2 - Liber Hereticus gives Scout turn 1 (so closer to enemy before game begins), Counterattack another turn, and Hatred another turn (if, for example, you failed the Test for Prescience)... all for 15 points is very cheap.

3 - Plasma Syphon (by the way, very fluffy for DA, with all their estoric relics/wargear compared to most SM) makes all Plasma weapons within 12" (i.e. rapid fire range/pistol range) shoot at BS1, so greatly improves their survivability against these types of weapons.

4 - Perfidious Relic + PML(1) means that they will be Denying the Witch on a 4+, so solid against Psychic attacks. Also, while DW Knights are Fearless, the Inquisitor Ld 10 stubborn is a back up if they lose Fearless to Terrify Psychic power, since they don't have ATSKNF as a back-up.

5 - Rad Grenades obviously lower enemy T by -1 in first round of combat. When using Smite, that means that the S10 AP2 maces are causing ID to T6 MCs/characters, since they are reduced to T5. In normal mode, Rad grenades reduce MEQs to T3, meaning that any S6 AP4 wounds that get through are ID and the Flail of the Unforgiven (S6 AP3) is also causing ID (and ignoring FNP, when that matters).

6 - Since Majority T4, Inquisitor gets buffed up to that (or even T5, when the DW Knights are bunched up)

7 - Venom Claw has no AP, but always wounds on a 2+, so good to help out when fighting high T enemy, like for example Wraith models or MCs (and the Inquisitor himself has a respectable 5 attacks on the charge).

8 - Psykout Grenades on the Inquisitor (baseline wargear) mean that, if the unit charges a pysker/psykers, all those psykers are reduced to Initiative 1 for that phase, which is great for fighting things like Psyker Daemon Princes, Mephiston, Tyranids MCs with Psychic powers, Grey Knights of all types, Space Wolve Rune Priests, Eldar Seer councils, etc. etc.

-not everybody can protect the inqui with the wall of shields

i have not touched the rulebook in long time, but that rule is only apliable to models with TDA and the inner circle rule (and inq do not have the later)

Correct, the Inquisitor can't get +1T from Wall of Shields (since he doesn't have Inner Circle rule), but if the majority of the unit is T5, then he will benefit from majority toughness rules when enemy are attempting to wound.

Well some are enhanced by the DA though

-not everybody has S6 base attacks.

-not everybody has a perfidious relic

-not everybody can protect the inqui with the wall of shields

...as I'm sure other codexes can offer some bennies that DA can't.  And C:]I[ can offer things to other codexes that are more valuable to them than to DA...like access to divination, which we already have.  "cheaper divination" is kind of a stretch, by the way.  Compare a naked L1 libby to a naked L1 inquisitor, and tell me if the librarian isn't worth ten points more.  I'm not trying to be a dick, but the purpose of the thread seems to be the idea that the inquisition codex is somehow more useful to DA than to anyone else, and that's just not the case.

10pts for a power armour, S4 and T4 is bargain.

I do recognize that a inqui camping behind with a deva does not always need T4 and 3+ save but it can be helpful though...

My answer was more turned to answer yourreflexion that seemed to say "everything you say an inqui enhances for DA, works also for other army."

No, like you've said in your last post, the inqui enhances other things for SM (like bringing divination).

So there are things that works specifically for DA and other that work specifically for SM or IG.

I think there's room in the Dark Angels forum for 'what can Inquisitors do for us?' topics, even if there is some (a lot?) of overlap with other space marine armies. I haven't bought the codex though so I can't offer any opinion on what those things might be.

leon as usual your fresh consideration of new tactics is quite welcome. while im not sure i agree with the entire combo, it certainly adds a wrinkle and a new way of thinking that is interesting to me. whenever you can combine untis in ways the opponent doesn't expect it is quite welcome. the plasma siphon especially seems good to me when i consider the prevalece of plasma that kills my terminators. turning the tables on plasma vet guard players is always a welcome development.

I think there's room in the Dark Angels forum for 'what can Inquisitors do for us?' topics

I agree, and I posted a few ideas in the one that already existed... This one isn't "what can inquisitors do for us," it's "why inquisitors do more for us than they do for anyone else," which is a false premise. 

I think there's room in the Dark Angels forum for 'what can Inquisitors do for us?' topics

I agree, and I posted a few ideas in the one that already existed... This one isn't "what can inquisitors do for us," it's "why inquisitors do more for us than they do for anyone else," which is a false premise.

Actually, I think this thread is "DW Knights and Inquisitors work well together, what do you think". I can't find any mention of the OP saying that the DA/Inquisitor mix is better than any other mix...

Edited by L30n1d4s, 22 November 2013 - 07:03 AM.

Will be sure to quote next time ermm.gif

And if it had come across as

DW Knights and Inquisitors work well together, what do you think

in the first place, my first post would have been far different...I don't like the idea of DWK playing nursemaid to a 25 point model!

Archived