Mephiston, how good is he still?

Barnie25

Grav weapons have an effective range of 30". He is utterly utterly useless against White Scar builds.

IF you play on boards with proper LoS blocking terrain then he has a use, but I am yet to find a board that does not leave him hanging out to dry for a turn between his turn one hop forward and his charge. Putting him behind vehicles? Unless they are AV13 or 14 platforms those vehicles wont be there turn 2.

Given most builds for BA, there will rarely be another threat comparable to Mephiston as the CC abilities of our units pale in comparison.

I usually obliterate those small bike squads with fragiosos in pods or sternguard. Once they are gone Mephiston comes out to play.

The ones with the Chapter Master laughing off the wounds? Or the other 5 squads?

Grav weapons have an effective range of 30". He is utterly utterly useless against White Scar builds.

IF you play on boards with proper LoS blocking terrain then he has a use, but I am yet to find a board that does not leave him hanging out to dry for a turn between his turn one hop forward and his charge. Putting him behind vehicles? Unless they are AV13 or 14 platforms those vehicles wont be there turn 2.

Given most builds for BA, there will rarely be another threat comparable to Mephiston as the CC abilities of our units pale in comparison.

I usually obliterate those small bike squads with fragiosos in pods or sternguard. Once they are gone Mephiston comes out to play.

The ones with the Chapter Master laughing off the wounds? Or the other 5 squads?

If you plan on using sarcasm in a civilized debate, you might as well not used a flawed argument to back it up. Otherwise, one might pass as a bitter fool. 

In white scars lists you'll see mass grav most of the time so not sure why a vehicle cannot screen meph for a turn or two. They'll get wrecked but rarely exploded. 

That said I think he's best delivered in a storm raven. Depending on how fast the rest of your list is you could then skip the codex powers and go for biomancy. He gets 3 BRB powers in the digital dex, right?

Mephiston is still our best HQ but the list of things that can take him down with relative ease grows longer for every new codex. 

BA codex is old and way behind on the power scale since it wasn't exactly a top dog to begin with, that's just the way it's going to be for another year or so until we get a new one. *shrug*

Stormraven delivery really is a desperate option for me, if I see that the other guy absolutely counters my list. It means that the earliest you can charge is turn 3, your raven has to enter hover mode, and you lose the area denial Mephiston's huge threat range grants you.

I believe he's almost always better on the table - even if he does nothing but hide behind some rocks, just by being there he creates a huge no-go area for your opponent.

I agree with the vehicles, against grav gun spam they are an excellent mean to provide cover. Also, grav guns on bikers don't get to reroll results if I'm not mistaken, so you still need quite a lot of shots to bring down a vehicle, especially if there is cover.

Against White Scars, their Scout move, Hit & Run and mobility means that hiding Mephiston behind vehicles isn't really that effective.

I was more referring to the Eldar and Tau when I was talking about the vehicles being shot off the table. Because they will put in enough shots into Mephiston to kill him if they get a turn at him.

Mephiston always relied on cover and his Toughness anyway to get through to combat, and this edition puts out more high strength ignores cover shots than ever. He's slipping faster and faster off the usefulness scale for me.

I was more referring to the Eldar and Tau when I was talking about the vehicles being shot off the table. Because they will put in enough shots into Mephiston to kill him if they get a turn at him.

That's true for any new dex in the game. We have 0 EW HQs worth taking and everything but mephiston is even more overpriced compared to what you get.  If you want to play BA it's simply something you have to deal with. 

Archived