Pandorax

pueriexdeus

So I'm reading Pandorax, and have come across a chapter where the ]I[ Dinalt is confronted by a Plague Marine. He (Dinalt) identifies "Corpulax as a member of the Conscrators. Now we know the DA are en-route to the planet (its in the preface), but how deep is the Fallen secret known to the ]I[?

Could Dinalt be one of many ]I[ seconded to the DA?

PxD,

Long time!  Um...wait till you read the part where Corpulax is captured.    And...inquisitors seconded to DA???  Never heard of any such thing. 

The more interesting thing is the GK founding father...there's a lot of innuendo that he was once a DA, or at least for some reason he has a secret (known to Draigo and Abaddon) involving the DA that convinces Draigo and Abaddon both that the DA, if they figure out who he is, will react about the same way as they would to him being Cypher.  My take on that is that he was DA before he was recruited as one of the first GK, and that the manner (presumably, he simply vanished) in which he left the legion marks him as a traitor in the eyes of the DA, although that would predate the fall.

So I'm reading Pandorax, and have come across a chapter where the ]I[ Dinalt is confronted by a Plague Marine. He (Dinalt) identifies "Corpulax as a member of the Conscrators. Now we know the DA are en-route to the planet (its in the preface), but how deep is the Fallen secret known to the ]I[?

I don´t think that it is known. Normally Inquisitors who learn about our secret didn´t live long enought to tell anyone.

But it´s not uncommon that a individual marine turned traitor. It happens to all chapters from time to time. And if this one was a member of the Conscrators it would not mean that our secret is compromised.

PxD,

Long time!  Um...wait till you read the part where Corpulax is captured.    And...inquisitors seconded to DA???  Never heard of any such thing. 

The more interesting thing is the GK founding father...there's a lot of innuendo that he was once a DA, or at least for some reason he has a secret (known to Draigo and Abaddon) involving the DA that convinces Draigo and Abaddon both that the DA, if they figure out who he is, will react about the same way as they would to him being Cypher.  My take on that is that he was DA before he was recruited as one of the first GK, and that the manner (presumably, he simply vanished) in which he left the legion marks him as a traitor in the eyes of the DA, although that would predate the fall.

Convoluted. I had to read that 3 times to make sense of it. I did though. Haha.

That's a different case here : corpulax is not a member of the legion who took part in the events of Caliban.

He's just a random chapter officer/sub officer who betrayed his chapter like it happens sometimes for any chapter.

I guess that the =][= is aware that such thing could happen and that they have already seen it for IF or UM.

The only critical point is if Corpulax was a former member of the inner circle... DA has to make sure it wouldn't reveal our secrets to the Inq or to GK if he has the opportunity to do so...

I just started reading Pandorax. I'm not really into it... it's not grabbing me like some of the other novels, but I am just getting through it to see some portrayals of Dark Angels and Black Legion.... The Catachans seem cool and the Inquisition is a little... disappointing but hopefully it gets better.

I was hoping that the junior interrogator would end up as a full inquisitor, and that she would take the pilot into her service, but what actually ends up happening is pretty good, I guess.  I agree that it's not as "inquisitorial" as some of the inquisition-focused novels (eisenhorn, frinstance), not as DA-y as the DA novels, IG-y as the IG novels, and so on...it can't really satisfy anyone because it covers too many factions under the same cover.  It's not bad, though.  I learned a bit about the origins of the GK, how they have strayed from those origins, and I'm intrigued by the connection between the GK founding member and the DA...

Augustus,

Thanks for the kind words.  :)

It's easily the most disappointing novel I've read in some time.

Why so?

I offered my opinion in this topic:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/282597-we-must-buy-a-lot-of-black-library-books/

I hate to say it, but after re-reading a lot of the parts of the novel that bothered me, it only gets worse with more analysis.  'Pandorax' suffers from a ton of contradictions, plot holes, logical fallacies, and tenuously tied-in concepts and themes.  I could bore you with an even bigger rant than the one I offered in the thread linked above, but I fear it would be overkill.

And that C.Z. Dunn would think I really had it out for him.  :(

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of a throwback to writting on the level of very, very old marine books. Sort of aimed at 12 year olds with terrible 'bad guys' and the Plague Marines...?

Tremendous Spoiler Alert:

Plague marines dying to single guardsman? How did you ever live long enough to get to toughness 5 dude? Come on man, a knife in the neck? Booby trapped bodies? Where did these noobs come from? These aren't plague marines, they are a throw back to 'zombie marines' that can barely fire a bolter and have no tactical acumen whatsoever.

The world's worst Inquisitor is duped because his background checks apparently don't go beyond a stint at McDonald's during Inquisitor school.

The theme is cool enough but I don't think it originates with this author.

It is a grind of a read...I'm still not done. I still can't get over Chaos (Abe) using drop pods! Silly author, doesn't he know Chaos doesn't have drop pods?!?! ;)

I'm still trying to chew on it like a piece of gristle in steak, hoping to get to the good meat. I keep waiting to see more Dark Angel's stuff or something actually cool.

It's baaad. I'm sorry you're reading it/read it, Prot.

Chaos doesn't use drop pods?

Yea after reading this thread I've had a hard time turning on the book again... but I did pay for the ebook so I might But I might just get back to the Horus books and start the next one.. Unremembered Empire.

BTW: Just re-read the short story the Lion (I think it's called?) with some pesky Night Lords. I really liked it.

Yeah, that's a good one. There's a plot element that's a bit contrived, and - reading it as I did right after 'Know No Fear' - I felt Corswain's retreat from the daemons was jarring and disappointing... but it's a solid read. Thank goodness for Aaron Dembski-Bowden getting that train started with 'Savage Weapons', though, and for Gav Thorpe and Dan Abnett sticking with its themes. :)

Archived