DA army tourney feedback.

Morticon

Heya guys, just wanted to report back on a local ranked tourney I played in this weekend.

It was an escalation themed event - 6 games all from the book (missions 1-6 in that order).

Game 1 was 1850, then 1000, then 1500, 1500 followed by 1850 and finally another 1850.

I decided to try something different as people are getting sick of my BA :p

I took a quirky, fast and hard hitting list:

1000point CORE 

HQ:

Librarian  (WL) – Bike, Auspex, Force Axe, Level 2 -                                                    

5x Raven Wing Command Squad –

Grenade Launcher, Apothecary, Champion              

TROOP:

5x Tactical Squad                                                                                                               

Razorback –

TLAC                                                                                                 

5x Tactical Squad                                                                                                                 

Razorback –

TLLC                                                                                                 

FAST:

4x Hyperios Launchers                                                                                                       

5x Black Knights – Grenade Launcher                                                                             

500point 

HQ:

Librarian  (WL) – Bike, Force Axe, Level 2, Melta Bomb                                             

5x Raven Wing Command Squad –

Grenade Launcher, Apothecary                       

TROOP:

5x Tactical Squad                                                                                                                

Razorback –

TLAC                                                                                                 

350point 

TROOP:

5x Tactical Squad – Melta Gun                                                                                         

Razorback –

TLAC                                                                                                 

FAST ATTACK

4x Raven Wing Bikers – 2x Melta

Guns, 1x Cmbi Melta                                              

+ 1x Attack Bike – MultiMelta                                                                                           

I played against DE, Orks, Chaos, Grey Knights, Sisters,Eldar - really nice spread.

I ended up with a 4-2-0 overall, and placed 4th.

I lost to DE - who had venom spam, got first turn, and took down about 8 knights off the bat ><;

I also lost to Sisters who had an incredible list and played it smartly!

The knights were just insane, theyre one of the coolest units in the game in my opinion -especially the command ones with FNP.  LVL2 libbies supporting and buffing them with div powers is also great.

Im thinking of including them in my core BA. 

The grenade/plasma talon combo is sooo nice for daemons and taking out hounds/screamers and other high wound units.  I came up against a Dual dreadknight list- nailed it, and also a triple Wraith Knight list!! Also took them down thanks to the libbies and Black Knights!

Sadly I didnt take pics, so wont do batreps! But just thought i'd share. 

Please feel free to ask any questions and i'll elaborate where i can :D

I'm sorta curious what the SoB List was. Been a while since I've seen a well executed SoB army (or any SoB army at all).

Also, how exactly did he manage to take out 8 knights that fast, was there a lack of terrain=

Anyway, GZ on a solid W:L ratio.

Ahoy! Thanks.

SoB was this:

Celestine
WhiteScar Blinged Lord -bike, eternal shield, hammer, arty armour.
Techmarine on bike
5x Bikers

3x5battle sisters- hvy flamer or melta and condemnor bolter in Immolators - TLMM
3x5 Dominions - 4x meltas in Immolators - TLMM
3x Excorcists

The DE player was rocking venom spam so the amount of saves I had to make was nuts - negating the bikes Toughness was also a thing.  He had 12" movement too, and I didnt have enough fully blocking LOS terrain to keep the bikers safe.  Also got a little unlucky with saves and FNP :( making none of the FNPs and failing 50% of the saves. Then, because I hadn't moved yet, the ravager shots also hurt a bit! ><;

Ah, well, that's tough luck I suppose. Maybe try pure Ravenwing next time? I heard they are doing fairly well. Personally, I am not a big friend of MSU units in RB.

Its my BA side coming through!  Heheheh- though, the lack of fast razors made a diff ><;

Pure RW are defs stronger- just didnt have the models - also wanted dual libby build- so all tough stuff. 

Mort first off I can't get over being stunned at you playing DA. Never thought it would happen.

Personally all I have played is Ravenwing. It took me a fair amount of games of getting my butt handed to me before I got the gist of it. And now I've won probably my last... 10 games or so. I find it must be VERY focused. VERY VERY focused.

Dakka Standard is crucial to make up for lost numbers imo.

The Knights are indeed incredible. Learning to use Rad Grenades is paramount as well.  For instance, someone was trying that B.S. Corbulo trick on me.... landed a pile of guys on me and put Corbulo in front... but I know this trick, so I hit the fart with a rad grenade and toasted him with a Plasma Talon.... you should have seen the look on the guy's face. He was getting ready to roll 40++ dice and it didn't go his way!

Now the regular people that play me target my Knights first. Some in fact hate the way I use them so much they will literally ignore almost all of my army until they are dead, or nearly dead. Get used to this!

Personally aside from Dakka Standard I am a huge fan of the Shroud with Skilled Rider/Jink etc.  Sure a Helldrake completely eats it for breakfast but you can't have it all.

Personally I have become bored of the pure Ravenwing though. Once you learn the army it feels very... autopilot to me, even with wins it gets old very fast. I'm moving more towards Deathwing which most seem to have trouble winning with.... we'll see. Congrats on 4th place! That's really great for your first time out.

Congrats on the 4th placing. Nice to see you having success with the DA.

Just out of interest - what did the GK player bring to the table?

Cheers

I

Thanks dude!

From memory the 1500 GK list was:

Corteaz,

Inq in term armour, skulls, psycannon, hammer.

2x 6 Man henchmen - 1xbanisher,1xMG?,4x crusaders in Psybolt Razors

1x 10man henchmen- crusaders, plasma gunners, 3plasmacannons. in Chimera

2x DreadKnights - swords, flamers, personal teleporters

1x Vindicare

1x Psyfleman dread

Im not sure what extra was in his 1850

Mort first off I can't get over being stunned at you playing DA. Never thought it would happen.

Hahahahah! Prot- small secret- ive been a long time fan of the DA.  Got the last (5th ed) codex too when it came out, and was bitterly disappointed when the SM dex was released after that essentially relegating it. Since the new DA book came out, ive been playing with DA allies quite often.  They work really nicely with the Blood Angels.

Ya, the rad grenades are increds - used them on various places to pop various guys- the Uber-tarch of the Eldar, the DreadKnights obviously, and everything else in between! 

I'll almost defs have the Libby+ BK command in any DA ally list I run.

Interesting. I am (sadly) still yet to play a game with the new book, but I have some Black Knights primed and ready to be painted. Given everything I've heard about them, I am looking forward to using them.

Sounds like they are a key component of a Ravenwing force.

Gilly,

they do a lot of heavy lifting. 

4 attacks on the charge with S5 rending hammers- ya! 

A command squad can get two characters in it meaning you can soak up loads of attacks.  With a libby in the mix there, you can give them a 4++ and then the FNP gives the 5+ and you have a really cool character for challenges. 

Interesting. I am (sadly) still yet to play a game with the new book, but I have some Black Knights primed and ready to be painted. Given everything I've heard about them, I am looking forward to using them.

Sounds like they are a key component of a Ravenwing force.

Oh they are. My regular opponents target them first now every time....kinda annoying.

To add to Mort's testimony, I would add Hit and Run keeps them a double threat.... plasma-ing their way back into CC if necessary.  They even do 'ok' as anti-air for me.

Archived