The Takeda WIP Thread

hallodx

Greeting everyone. I start my Takeda WIP thread here, and remind myself my promise to build a army follows the way how ancient Japanese samurai warriors fight their war.

Some facts about Takeda in history. 

1. The most famous leader of the Takeda is Takeda Shingen, known led his most powerful mounted army at that time, following quotes from "The Art of War", summarized into his well-known "Furinkazan" banner, means "Let your rapidity be that of the Wind, your compactness that of the Forest. In raiding and plundering be like the Fire, immobility be like the Mountain."

2. His army was known mostly dressed in red, called "the red army", but red dye was very expensive at that time, so instead of real red, they use other similar colors.

3. The Takeda Clan doesn't composed all by Takedas, but also other names. Those men from other family came and served their lord, proved themselves and finally promoted as generals or bodyguards of the lord himself.

4. Know yourself, know your enemy, but how? Takeda Shingen commanded his banner men and women train agents, male of female, spread across Japan to gather whatever information he want. And if necessary, they can also carry out assassinations.

So the following will be my painted minis. Hope you like it, and all C&C welcomed.

Takeda Shingen, Lord of Takeda, Protector of Kai Realm, 

BXzH4ywCIAACL7I.jpg

And his army so far

BZ4IK5ACIAAp3oR.jpg

BaItANZCMAAomuZ.jpg

BXzIiU8CcAAAJ-g.jpg

To be continued...

My plan to represent the army:

Samurais mounted: 

White Scar bikes for sure.

Samurais on foot:

Space Walves Grey Hunter

Agents:

Codex: Inquisition

DCA:

Dark Elves Witch Elves

Crusader(C:I):

Chaos Warriors

Servitors:

Chaos Marauders

Plan to include:

Takeda Shingen ,Bike IC --completed

Another bike IC -- still on shop shelf  

Home-made Rough Trader (Inquisitor) -- completed

3 5-men bike squad -- 1 completed, 1 to go, another on shop shelf

2 5-men LotD --in progress

assault scout -- completed

LRR -- Hull completed

LRC -- still on shop shelf

7 Servitors --modded, not painted yet

10 Crusader -- in progress

10 DCA -- still on shop shelf

2 Valkyries -- still on shop shelf

Very nice, I like your Shingen conversion, especially the War Fan. I look forward to seeing more from you. :)

Also, you may find these to be of interest:

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/kromlech-cyber-samurai-heads-p-10305

http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=209

http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=141

http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=208

Very nice, I like your Shingen conversion, especially the War Fan. I look forward to seeing more from you. smile.png

Also, you may find these to be of interest:

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/kromlech-cyber-samurai-heads-p-10305

http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=209

http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=141

http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=208

Thanks! I actually wrote "Furinkazan" on it.

I'm still thinking how I can improve my Shingen, maybe a book bit from DA at front of his bike would be good.

And yes I know these, just not sure about their quality so haven't buy any yet.

Also I think such number should be limited to Veterans only. After all not every samurai can wear decorated helmet, and wearing a Power Armor is a honor and symbol of position already.

Liking the look of these guys so far - have you considered using the Dark Angels Codex for a different-style Biker army?

Also, will some Forgeworld Outrider bikes find their way into your force? msn-wink.gif

Looking forward to more!

I played C:DA, and I "planed" to, but after the release of C:SM and C:I, I changed my mind. Weaponry and number talks. Besides I'm not a fan of terminators, so, sorry.

FW? Ouch that would make my wallet and schedule hurt...but I do want to get one Mantis pattern dreadnought.

Sure I'll bring more when I finish some.

Currently: Modding Chaos Marauder into Servitors, 7 of them.

Off to a great start! Love your unique color scheme, too.

What art/sources are you using for inspiration?

Lacquerware. Such color you see on bikers is similar to some minor lacquerware. You saw what I said at OP, red dye was expensive at that time, but even it's not "red", it still shows luster of red at edges.

See this from wikipedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/SIKKI.JPG/800px-SIKKI.JPG

I'm still finding way to make a "red" more like a better lacquerware red. Below is my painted honor guard(SS with power sword actually)

BXzIiU8CcAAAJ-g.jpg

Not modded in to samurai! Sorry!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for long waiting!

I've had a trip to Japan and played and saw some art I really love, and here's my WIP Storm Talon.

BcVwoPdCYAA33Ed.jpg

BcVwwsRCYAAc8hx.jpg

BcVwtixCIAAXXdO.jpg

BcVw6dyCEAEoaTc.jpg

The idea is from another kind of Shikki, or Japanese Lacquerware. Workers prime with oil based color, and decorate with gold paint, yes, gold. I want to copy that style on my storm talon and that will sure bring different atmosphere to table!

Hope you like it! 

Very cool.  I like that you're not over-samuraing them. Some people take a cool thematic idea, and do it to death (see: GW's Space Wolves, lol).  

The Shingen conversion is pretty amazing. An interesting historical character too. Could have been a real game changer in Japanese history if he had died when he did. His son was pretty much a giant failure too.

>Max

Certainly not my idea! It's from a Shikki door(right, door...) in Kodai temple, which Toyotomi Hideyoshi built for his wife. Because of his position and wealth, the temple IS awesome and you can see many beautiful artifacts and decorations!

Thank you for following, but do expect long long update...

>Veteran Sergeant

LOL! I hate to admit but I spent some hours telling me they are loyal space marines when I was a noob lol.

So glad you know this story! Actually Katsuyori (Shingen's son) was very good at battle, I mean hand to hand combat, but bad at releasing battlefield situation nor know politic, and it was because of politic did he isolated Takeda clan from other allies and finally destroyed by Oda clan.

Storm Talon looks excellent! That color scheme is very striking!

Thanks! Still trying to make it better. It looks more like sea waves but spike, but I want it spike :-/

Any chance we gonna see Yukimura Sanada in it?

I see you misguided by video games a lot lol

Yukimura was no more than a baby when Shingen died, but his grandpa Sanada Yukitaka served the Takeda really well and titled "Seme Danjou", Master of Attack/Siege, and yes I do plan to make a Sanada Yukitaka, one of Twenty-Four Generals of Takeda Shingen.

BTW because Cypher being awesome, I'm making Domitago Uzaemon(can only be Googled writen in Japanese), a ninja master served Shingen. There will be a Inari mask on him. (Inari is god of harvest, but forget the "god" part lol)

When I was first creating the fluff for the Imperial Dragons, I found it to be much easier to simply go with the video games than what we have of historical truth. It became overly complicated, too burdensome and bulky to be shoehorned in. Say what you will of the inaccuracies of the Koei games, but they did streamline the individuals and events into something much more manageable. Being true to history made it nothing more than the Three Kingdoms with power armor. Utilizing the video game made it a Space Marine Chapter with a Three Kingdoms theme. A distinctive difference, and the latter result is far more favorable. Though, by now I have worked on it enough that the theme has been submerged and is hopefully much more subtle.

But aside from that tangent, whatever the fluff these models do look good. Very striking appearance.

I see how you did there! But I already dig in and know too much historical fact, you know, when Yukimura was old enough to go to battlefield, the Takeda was already destroyed by the Oda...

Ok, OK, I thought twice and maybe, maybe because marines at that time live long enough so they could fight together. But I need a good build to represent that legendary samurai warrior. Any idea?

So glad you know this story! Actually Katsuyori (Shingen's son) was very good at battle, I mean hand to hand combat, but bad at releasing battlefield situation nor know politic, and it was because of politic did he isolated Takeda clan from other allies and finally destroyed by Oda clan.

I have always been a history buff, so from time to time I'll get interested in a particular period and do a bunch of research on it. The whole Sengoku period is pretty interesting. Shingen was obviously one of its more dynamic personalities. Plus he had that awesome helmet. I played as the Takeda when I got Shogun 2: Total War. It was just interesting that he seemed poised to defeat the Oda and Tokugawa forces (or at least seriously hinder their aspirations), then he died under mysterious circumstances, and within three years his son had lost so many battles the Takeda were effectively destroyed ten years later.

Storm Talon looks excellent! That color scheme is very striking!

Thanks! Still trying to make it better. It looks more like sea waves but spike, but I want it spike :-/

>Any chance we gonna see Yukimura Sanada in it?

I see you misguided by video games a lot lol

Yukimura was no more than a baby when Shingen died, but his grandpa Sanada Yukitaka served the Takeda really well and titled "Seme Danjou", Master of Attack/Siege, and yes I do plan to make a Sanada Yukitaka, one of Twenty-Four Generals of Takeda Shingen.

Those video games thought me more about the awesome part of history than  got in school, Rome and WW2 every year isnt fun.

But i always thought Masamune Date walked around with 6 swords....just joking.

Veteran Sergeant>>

There's a saying goes in Chinese: "By reading history you know the future", so Cheers!

I played Shogun 2 too, and cleared with all non-DLC clans. Kind of funny it was Nobutaga's father but himself united Japan when I played lol

But honesty I had a hard time playing Takeda clan...the maintenance cost of all-samurai army punched at my face so hard many times and at last I won with Ashigaru but Samurai, and of course, good relationship between allies. History talks.

Spacefrisian>>

High five!

Speaking of Masamune Date, because he was a fancy man, a Japanese word came from him called "Datemono", means, you know, a fancy guy, modern Japanese still use this word. And simply "date" can mean a man boasting himself. Lol, but no kidding! Maybe it was because this impression did game makers made him a exaggerated character.

So happy talking to you guys lol

Dont have Shogun 2 :( so my knowledge comes from the other games (Samoerai warriors, Kessen and Sengoku Basara) and a random German documentary i saw, that was mostly about the battle at Sekigahara where Tokugawa shot at Kobayakawa position. (and some stuff about Hanzo)

Some minor updates, some magnetized models

Here's the Chaplain. I magnetized left arm and backpack, so I can swap them depending on the list.

Also added two horns on it, painted them all white so he looks like a "Oni", Japanese "ghost" or "daemon".

Mirror in history? He would be Hara Toratane, titled Oni of Minono, is a exceptional general, who was good at siege. The fortresses he took can be fully functional again with minimal repair. 

BdysMLxCYAEuHXD.jpg

Of course, Kamon on left shoulder pad, but that's not important. 

Meet Mochizuki Chiyome, a female shinobi lord at that time. Yes, I said "Lord", because she was not just a leader of ninjas but a titled noble woman, who was assigned the task train agents across Japan and gather information Shingen care.

Most of her agents are girl war orphans, she gather these girls, let them live, and train them into part of information network of Takeda.

Also her agents offer "service of that kind" or carry out assassination if necessary, as long as their master want them so for a greater purpose.

She will be Coteaz or average inquisitor depending wargears on her. Yeah, magnetized.

BdysRV7CYAAoN6R.jpg

BdysUhNCMAAw4kV.jpg

painted terribly? sorry I'm not good at painting really :-(

Last, Domitago Uzaemon. As Cypher. Domitago Uzaemon was a ninja master(leader of a ninja clan) do everything you can imagine a ninja would do. History left little about him, less than any other ninja master of the same rank, so, yeah that's very Cypher!

Side note is, the insufficient of information about him make this character somehow real. Ninjas, actually, had no position at that time. They lived in shadow, trained secretly, sent to tasks, and died with no tomb for them.

BdyskqgCQAE1hF5.jpg

BdysgzNCMAAPwlq.jpg

BdyscBaCQAAPTrH.jpg

This one is unfinished tho. So I need ideas from you guys. Should I remove that HUGE Inari Ookami helmet on him and make a smaller one? Should I add some effects or accessory on him? Or is it finished in your eyes?

Cheers!

Dont have Shogun 2 sad.png so my knowledge comes from the other games (Samoerai warriors, Kessen and Sengoku Basara) and a random German documentary i saw, that was mostly about the battle at Sekigahara where Tokugawa shot at Kobayakawa position. (and some stuff about Hanzo)

It's OK really! And I am somehow surprised those games are accessible outside of Asia!

<---Asian here (raise hand

• 2 weeks later...

This one is unfinished tho. So I need ideas from you guys. Should I remove that HUGE Inari Ookami helmet on him and make a smaller one? Should I add some effects or accessory on him? Or is it finished in your eyes?

Cheers!

I vote for a smaller helmet. There's a Space Wolf helmet that you can sculpt those ears onto.

Archived