Dark angels vs Tau

Barnie25

For example, if you are thinking of using drop pods, don't drop a single pod in his backfield, his Riptides and Broadsides will shoot it out of the sky with their Early Warning Overrides. Drop 4 or 5 pods in his backfield, and shoot the bejeesus out of anything that isn't a troop choice (unless he's packing an Ethereal, in which case he will torrent fire you to death on the next turn!).

To expand on this Drop Pods are also Amazing for deepstriking not just for their Drop Pod Assault Rule, but the mishap protection they offer so you can get really close to you opponent so he risks placing a template on his own guys,  also put your Pods in-between the interceptor and your units, either the Pods will block LoS or they will at a minimum grant you a cover save that you may not have otherwise have.

Also for a good time if you are running a very heavy Pod list and get Relic sometime, Drop them in a ring around the relic with a Tac Squad in the middle :)

.If you are thinking of using a flyer, ally in some guard and use a squadron of 3 Valks or Vendettas, or maybe use one of these new-fangled Stormwing formation thingies if the rules are any good. He will have some good AA in his list via liberal use of Velocity Trackers, so try to overwhelm his AA defence.tl;dr - saturation is the key to overwhelming his defence.

You know what's hilarious? With the Emperor on Terra as my witness, tau players (only those who play tau exclusively, the rest have perspective!) complain about how ineffective their anti-air options are and how broken fliers are and so on. Ridiculous.

.If you are thinking of using a flyer, ally in some guard and use a squadron of 3 Valks or Vendettas, or maybe use one of these new-fangled Stormwing formation thingies if the rules are any good. He will have some good AA in his list via liberal use of Velocity Trackers, so try to overwhelm his AA defence.tl;dr - saturation is the key to overwhelming his defence.

You know what's hilarious? With the Emperor on Terra as my witness, tau players (only those who play tau exclusively, the rest have perspective!) complain about how ineffective their anti-air options are and how broken fliers are and so on. Ridiculous.

biggrin.png Cos a Riptide with Heavy Burst Cannon and ECPA firing 12 x S6 AP4 Rending shots with Skyfire, or a Flakk'o with 4 x S7 missiles at BS5 with Skyfire etc etc are rubbish! tongue.png

Anyway, if Tau players are worried about flyers, they can just take a Stormwing Formation and cleanse the skies using the Marines! tongue.png

God, I really don't like all this formation nonsense!

But then you can take Firesupport Cadre and blow them out of the sky with velocity trackers and tank hunters, plus preferred enemy!

Anyway, if Tau players are worried about flyers, they can just take a Stormwing Formation and cleanse the skies using the Marines! tongue.png

God, I really don't like all this formation nonsense!

But then you can take Firesupport Cadre and blow them out of the sky with velocity trackers and tank hunters, plus preferred enemy!
Well, a Firebase Cadre with velocity trackers will set you back around 770 points. For that much you could take a Stormwing formation AND two Vendettas. I'd fancy my chances with the flyers considering that if the Broadsides take VTs they can't Intercept, so the flyers would get the drop on everything apart from the Riptide.

Anyway, I was actually suggesting that the Tau player could take a Stormwing formation if he thought his AA was lacking :)

Just to change gears....

Allied Spacewolves: Take a rune Priest with Jaws of the World Wolf place him in a pod with a cheap unit and one shot his riptides.

While I wouldn't really go outside our codex.. this would be a fun idea.

Archived