Astral Claws need painting tips/help!

Scarion

So this Christmas i am planning on starting an Astral claws army, lots of bikes , but i don't really know how to paint to a decent standard or what paints to use, I have most GW paints but i have heard about Vallejo paints  . Painting metals is certainly not my area of expertise (I don't particularly think anything is but oh well) as my previous army was bright red Eldar . My aim for them is to be really weathered so they look as if they have been fighting for a long time (Badab War), how is the best way to approach weathering, i have heard about weathering "powders" (i think that's what they're called) if so which ones do I buy and from which company or do I hand paint on the mud and rust etc etc. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i cannot wait to start and I want my astral claws to be my best painted army i have done so help from you awesome people would be great.

Thanks Scarion 

This isn't quite the right section for asking questions, but I'm sure a Mod will move it for you soon. In answer to your first question : Army Painter! They do two silver primer sprays, Gun Metal and Plate Mail Metal. Gun Metal is the slightly darker of the two. These sprays are exact colour matches to the bottled paints of the same name so you can use both together (ie if you paint over the primer, make a mistake and want to touch it up, but not ruin the base coat with a not quite matching metallic paint). As for improving your painting in general, just look at as many relevant tutorials as possible and have a go. Practice makes perfect.

From Nurgling's own thread

Just replace boltgun metal with leadbelcher and badab black with nuln oil and mithril with runefang and you are all good. The blue I'm not too sure about but I use Macragge blue with the aldorf guard blue on that with the drakenova-whatever night shade wash. Simple and it works.

Thanks everyone. The metal is really simple. I base coat them boltgun metal, then i go in with some P3 armor wash and shade all the recesses. I swear by that stuff, best paint invention ever. Then i give the whole thing a wash of thinned down Badab Black (appropriately fitting name) Then line highlight it with mithril. Go back and tidy up any mistakes and your done.

Also check out Heathens' thread while you are at it, you can never have to much awesomeness.

Welcome to the Astral Claws, you will be getting your orders from the Tyrant shortly.

Sorry about that sockwithaticket. But thanks for the advice I will pick up some of those paints you suggesested. And cheers Cpt Uriel Ventis that thread was really helpfull, it is nice to have a close up on an Astral Claw so I can try and replicate the paint job.

Also is it worth picking up the forge world transfer sheet?

Thanks Scarion

I'd say yes since its not a small transfer sheet but an A4 sized one and has a whole host of icons. But it would probably be best to get the Astral Claws chapter bundle just because it has a whole host of stuff that will come in handy. That way you can upgrade two rhinos or a pred and a rhino and have doors left over which you can put on a Storm Raven, you then have five termie shoulder pads and ten PA shoulder pads (which would probably look best on sgts and leaders) as well as the A4 transfer sheet.

Depends on your own play style and if you will be using Forge World's Chapter Tactics or not. If so then get at least one biker squad and give them either grav guns or melta guns (probably grav for tanks and MC) and have a librarian or captain and two full tac squads. Small yet hard hitting force since the chapter tactics give all Astral Claw Astartes Stubborn so they will be hard to shift.

Yeah, thanks maybe captain on bike with I dont know 6 man bike squad 2 gravs and powerfist, 10 man tac squad with librarian plasma gun rhino, 10 man tac squad plasma cannon plasma gun for back objective and could I squeeze in a contemptor if im lucky I so want one! Cheers

Just an FYI I no longer use the badab black wash. I just use my own metal mix which is Boltgun with a little black mixed in. It gives it the same look and is a lot more consistent. It will help a lot once you try painting any tanks.

Any chance you could give us the breakdown on that mix Nurgling?

Lol well it's not very precise. I literally just took a pot of boltgun and kept adding black to it until it was the same shade as the marines I had already painted using the wash method. Not very much black, that's all I know

so you don't use a wash anymore?

Just an FYI I no longer use the badab black wash. I just use my own metal mix which is Boltgun with a little black mixed in. It gives it the same look and is a lot more consistent. It will help a lot once you try painting any tanks.

Any chance you could give us the breakdown on that mix Nurgling?

I used Nurgling's mix on my Astral Claws, which was about 1 part black to 9 part boltgun metal. I still use it for my Iron Warriors, though the ratio is more like 1 to 7 now, to get that dark metal look. Check out my gallery to see the differences.

And I do the same with the P3 Armour wash; I swear by it now, that stuff is amazing.

Archived