Some old school fun- update 12/11

The boater

They look really good already especially the modified beak on the MK VI helms.  You should consider making 5-10 of them like that and then making a mold of them and casting them yourself to save having modify each and every one.  The shoulder pads as well would be a time saver if you were to do that.  There were color plates in one of the old RT era books with a Rhino with a replacement front armor panel in primer color.  You should consider painting your tank in a similar scheme, it would look pretty sweet. 

Well the three guys that you see are the only ones that I am doing for the the time being. I leave for three months next weekend so I don't really have time to finish much (in fact the commander and the razorback are the only ones that I am planning on finfishing everything else is extra) but when I get back I am planning on purchasing a couple sets of mk6 from forge world as well as some umbra pattern bolters. I'll probably do a helmet mold then (I can make a press mold for one then make them all look the same in a handful of minutes) but the sets will have the shoulder plates I need. If you can find a picture of the rhino scheme that would be awesome, cause I don't have the rogue trader books to go off of so I am relying on the interwebs.

Thanks,

-The Boater

I know you already picked a chapter, but the few post I read, I gathered some info.

Your going to boot camp, which means Marines cause army calls in basic.

You want rank and kill counts on your armor....

Might I suggest Eagles Eternal or one of their successors ? ;)

You are correct on that War Angel! Gettin on the bus to PI on the 16th. And I was actually going to ask (sense the EE are your creation) if I might make one?

I know the space marines chapters don't really just send one space marine along to fight alongside other chapters but I thought it would be cool to make one that has a comms relay in the command squad. I'm going intel (might be doing crypto linguist) so I figured a comms guy could represent that nicely. ;)

-the Boater

Edit: addition: I am sticking to the skulls though as I have always wanted to do one of the original rogue trader color schemes.

Some work in progress shots.

I decided to use the melta gunner as the test mini.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a544/jemlohr/image_zps849f0fd5.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a544/jemlohr/image_zps61b12ff7.jpg

I decided that because of the original RT picture of the silver skulls trooper had a back banner that was checkered I would use that throughout the army. Various marines will get it somewhere on their armor and eventually I will add a banner that will have a checkered background.

Let me know what you think!

Trivia: What is his rank? Bonus points if you can tell me his designation.

Thanks for looking,

-The Boater

They look great so far, especially the checkers and Trooper Veteran designation on the helmet and shoulders.  I would suggest painting hazard stripes on the nozzle of his melta-gun and the Imperial Commander's plasma pistol if you haven't thought of that already.

Rank= Trooper Veteran

Any log that has me scrambling to grab my original copy of Rogue Trader off the shelf and refer to the color plates for reference is an auto subscribe in my book.  Excellent work, I absolutely cannot wait to see what you do next.

Markings look great. I would recommend putting some shadows in the darker areas of the minis though. Like between armour plates. If you're going for a crisp silver I'd likely go for a black/ blue or black/ turquoise wash but just in the areas you want it. Just help to get a bit more definition.

Rank= Trooper Veteran

Any log that has me scrambling to grab my original copy of Rogue Trader off the shelf and refer to the color plates for reference is an auto subscribe in my book.  Excellent work, I absolutely cannot wait to see what you do next.

YOU WIN THE TRIVIA ROUND! Any idea on the bonus question?

The melta gun was actually going to get some hazard stripes but the commanders plasma gun will something a little different ;)

Markings look great. I would recommend putting some shadows in the darker areas of the minis though. Like between armour plates. If you're going for a crisp silver I'd likely go for a black/ blue or black/ turquoise wash but just in the areas you want it. Just help to get a bit more definition.

Thanks! The shading will come tonight when I get to painting. It's hard to see but I have already done a tad (best example would be the models left foot) and I extend to bring the rest of the model up to that contrast. I want them to be kinda a gunmetal color with a slight blue tent in the shade. (Just to give him a little color as pure silver is a tad bland)

Thanks for the comments guys!

-The Boater

Sounds like a blue/black wash is what you're looking for then. Either that or Vallejo do a Gun Metal Blue which is a metallic blue. Looks pretty good when highlighted up to silver.

Massive Voodoo True Metallic Metal guide:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/tutorial-painting-true-metallic-metal.html?m=1

The goings been slow of late. Been haveing the floors redone+ getting prepared to leave in 5 days, but this morning I did manage to get some work done on the commander:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a544/jemlohr/image_zps5b0da71c.jpg

I'll have more done later. Off for a run... ;)

-the Boater

Archived