Adeptus Astartes Storm Wing

xanthate

I picked up the dataslate today having bought the box a week or so ago just as it's a good deal (one free stormtalon basically).

Reading the fluff at the start clearly says that Blood Angels use them... to deliver the Death Company to the face, yay!

However the actual rules say it's classed as a C:SM detachment only (i.e. not C:BA or C:SW) - which would mean that whilst we can take them as allied detatchment, can't put say the Death Company in it? Which would rather make it not so cool as loses the troop delivery that makes it so useful? Seems odd all round to have this be the case- what with being Space Marine- and a BA orginal flyer to boot...

Happy to be corrected on this front... otherwise it's a 'just' a rather handy gunboat squadron.

There's an exemption in the last pages saying if you also have a detachment from C:SM in the army, you can load up units from that into the Storm Wing's SR.  Otherwise, you're correct, you cannot embark onto the formation's gunship with anything.

It might be handy to take say, a Chapter Master, Honor Guard, Tactical Squad, with this formation, and throw the HG and master in the SR.  Although really the only reason I'd run this with BA is to get access to the Stormtalons which are a little more efficient than our native options and don't take up an FoC slot.

Also, because you can take this Formation, a Stormraven, and a pair of heavy support options in single Force Org table.  But that's mostly because I never take single units, always try to have pairs for backup.

Archived