Any DA advice for a noob?

Deathstrike_Chimera

Hey all,

I'm just starting out with DA and the game in general and was wondering if any of you vets could give some advice on how to progress with a DA army. I have a tac squad some termies and a ravenwing squad along with some cheap hqs. I'd like to build a shooty army but don't know what I think about deathwing vs ravenwing.What should I invest in? I know I need another tac squad, but should I get a devastator squad for support? What about termies vs bikes? (I'm looking to make a 1500 pt army by the way)

A devastator squad paired with a divination libby will definitely help you in a shooting army.

I personally love deathwing or ravenwing, though the shooting power of deathwing will struggle with many larger targets unless you arm them with heavier weapons. If your going for pure shooting i wouldn't include many of them, it's better to fit in more troops or heavy support for the points you'd spend on them.

EDIT: Get the banner mate, it's definitely worth it! thumbsup.gif

Hmm, I'd see if you can get a couple more sets of the Dark Angels from the Dark Vengeance starter (from friends or ebay?) - three of each squad plus a few characters for conversion is a great start.

Then, maybe a Terminator Command Squad box, a Reclusiam box, and a Ravenwing Black Knights box.

Not only should that lot keep you busy and your wallet suitably empty, but you'll have a really solid start on each aspect of the Dark Angels:

3 Tactical squads + Command Squad (this has a banner)

3 Deathwing Terminator squads + Command Squad (this has a banner, can make Deathwing Knights of you prefer)

3 Ravenwing Bike squads + Command Squad (this has a banner, can make Black Knights of you prefer)

3 Librarians (consider putting one on a bike)

3 Company Masters (consider converting two of them to other weapon fits)

1 Chaplain (he's cool, and one is enough to start with. If you want, the model has two heads, so if you use the bare head, you can kit-bash a second chaplain and use the other skull helmet on him)

1 Razorback (APC/IFV - magnetise the top hatch and weapon turret so that you can swap between the Rhino APC and the Razorback IFV).

I think that together with a copy of the Dark Angels codex (don't forget the FAQ here) you'll be well set and after a few games with this, you'll know what other squads, esoteric wargear options/model combos, and vehicles you'll want. The other thing about the stuff listed above is that it is a solid start, and aside from getting a couple of Dark Angel Upgrade sprues directly from GW online (which have useful kit on them, as well as lots of DA parts with which to personalise your force), you will have a solid start if you decide to expand in a Deathwing- or Ravenwing-only force in the future.

As for shooty, all the above are shooty - especially with our Librarians!

Hmm, I'd see if you can get a couple more sets of the Dark Angels from the Dark Vengeance starter (from friends or ebay?) - three of each squad plus a few characters for conversion is a great start.

Then, maybe a Terminator Command Squad box, a Reclusiam box, and a Ravenwing Black Knights box.

Not only should that lot keep you busy and your wallet suitably empty, but you'll have a really solid start on each aspect of the Dark Angels:

3 Tactical squads + Command Squad (this has a banner)

3 Deathwing Terminator squads + Command Squad (this has a banner, can make Deathwing Knights of you prefer)

3 Ravenwing Bike squads + Command Squad (this has a banner, can make Black Knights of you prefer)

3 Librarians (consider putting one on a bike)

3 Company Masters (consider converting two of them to other weapon fits)

1 Chaplain (he's cool, and one is enough to start with. If you want, the model has two heads, so if you use the bare head, you can kit-bash a second chaplain and use the other skull helmet on him)

1 Razorback (APC/IFV - magnetise the top hatch and weapon turret so that you can swap between the Rhino APC and the Razorback IFV).

I think that together with a copy of the Dark Angels codex (don't forget the FAQ here) you'll be well set and after a few games with this, you'll know what other squads, esoteric wargear options/model combos, and vehicles you'll want. The other thing about the stuff listed above is that it is a solid start, and aside from getting a couple of Dark Angel Upgrade sprues directly from GW online (which have useful kit on them, as well as lots of DA parts with which to personalise your force), you will have a solid start if you decide to expand in a Deathwing- or Ravenwing-only force in the future.

As for shooty, all the above are shooty - especially with our Librarians!

Wow. Thanks! That's a lot of info. I was looking into buying DV angels by themselves. It seems to be a pretty viable option.Sadly it will/would take quite a while to get all of that stuff as that's a lot of cash for me. But it's something to SHOOT for! (See what I did there?!)

A Librarian can carry the Power Field Generator wargear. Add to that the Apothecary, and the banner will be as safe as reasonably possible.

Alternatively, you can proxy the DV Company Master as Azrael (it's like he and the DV Librarian were intentionally made to represent Azrael and Ezekiel or something...!), and the whole squad can benefit from Azrael's Lion Helm 4+ invulnerable save.

Techmarines, whilst cool, are exactly the sort of thing I'd wait until after your first 2000pts to buy if you want.

Wow. Thanks! That's a lot of info. I was looking into buying DV angels by themselves. It seems to be a pretty viable option.Sadly it will/would take quite a while to get all of that stuff as that's a lot of cash for me. But it's something to SHOOT for! (See what I did there?!)

Yeah, I know it's not all that cheap, sorry... I can assure you that for a 40k army it's good value however!

Each boxed set or DV set is a convenient chunk costing around £25-30, so the idea is to buy and paint as you go (starting with the DV sets). The Reclusiam squad isn't mandatory by any means, but for the cost of the command squad and tank, you effectively get the Chaplain for free and he's a nice model.

Basically, I've tried to suggest a really solid base here, and I honestly doubt you will ever fail to use most of it over the course of your games.

You might only want one Company Master, but two Librarians aren't bad as you can convert one onto a bike without too much trouble (just pick a bike with a robed rider!).

At the end of the day, you can get the whole DV set of Dark Angels for around £25-30, so buying the squads only doesn't save you much/any money really (in effect, the characters are "free").

What about AoBR marines? Not sure if they have ultra marines emblems or anything in em. But that has a dreadnought termies and a tac squad and seems to be cheaper? Yes? No?

Yes and no! :P

The models have no chapter-specifc emblems on them.

That said, the Tactical squad does have tactical markings on the right shoulderpads. If you are fussy, then you will want to shave these off with a sharp knife before cleaning up the pads with a small emery board as the Dark Angel tactical markings are different. The squad loadout is the old classic, and whilst I have always felt that the missile launcher is a solid weapon, I have always found the flamer to be more specific in its use than either Meltaguns or Plasmaguns. It is easy to swap the flamer out for a different weapon if you want to though, and you might like the flamer anyway.

The Dreadnought is in fact the only way to get the default codex loadout of Multi-Melta and Powerfist combo in plastic. If you don't get the AOBR Dread, your other options are the old metal Blood Angel dreadnoughts off ebay or getting an arm from Forge World. Then again, maybe a MM arm isn't what you want anyway, in which case it is a moot point. I thought it worth mentioning though.

The AOBR Terminators are fine, and if you get either the Deathing Command Squad box or the Dark Angel Upgrade sprue, you will have some extra Terminator heavy weapons and assorted parts with which to upgrade and personalise the squad.

Finally, the Captain is fine too, although I think that the DV captain's loadout is superior as CombiWeapons add a lot of flexibility over normal bolters for very minor additional cost (and allow you to maximise that high BS stat). That said, I have the model myself and can confirm that a weapon swap is quite easy and straight forward.

If you want a better look at the models, GW still has the box contents page here.

So in summary: it's a good starter force, but I happen to think that the weapon loadouts in DV are better and more specifically useful to the DA. That's not to say that the AOBR models are a bad purchase -they are not- but you might find that they need a few tweaks here and there to fit what suits you best. You might also find yourself wishing you had more bikes instead of the Dread too, especially if you are going to mount a character or two on them.

So in posting this I will be entirely unhelpful but oh well.

Advice to a DA Noob:

A.)Wash your robes regularly, the Techmarines get pissed when you dirty your robes

B.)Don't ever touch a Ravenwing's ride man........those guys freak out and all they ever do is wipe their bikes down with cloth's (Don't even look at a Black Knight's Ride they'll beat up your momma just for looking at it!)

C.)Hanging out with chicks of the Unforgiven variety will get you a stern talking to from the Chaplains usually in Cell 42 with a Inner Circle Audience

D.)Deathwing Manly men where white..........or bone or whatever they're stylist is calling it this week. Remember Manly men in white.

DoC

Advice to a DA Noob:

A.)Wash your robes regularly, the Techmarines get pissed when you dirty your robes

B.)Don't ever touch a Ravenwing's ride man........those guys freak out and all they ever do is wipe their bikes down with cloth's (Don't even look at a Black Knight's Ride they'll beat up your momma just for looking at it!)

C.)Hanging out with chicks of the Unforgiven variety will get you a stern talking to from the Chaplains usually in Cell 42 with a Inner Circle Audience

D.)Deathwing Manly men where white..........or bone or whatever they're stylist is calling it this week. Remember Manly men in white.

DoC

I, on the other hand, am going to be helpful, although not so much helping the OP..

1. Cloths...it's cloths, not cloth's. Unless they are wiping the bikes with something possessed by a (singular) cloth that you failed to specify...in which case you're still wrong.

2. Deathwing wear white, they don't where it. Where were these were men wearing white? On the battlefield!

Report to the reclusiam librarium for your penance! teehee.gif

Noted to the librarium for spelling lessons! Thanks march that's what I get for waking up at 5AM and then posting. Brothers I will be paying penance by painting up a squad. And posting more unhelpful posts. Muahahahahaha...........see what happens when we escape cell 42?

Alright I'm feeling bad for not helping the OP so my half a cent before march drags me off for spelling lessons is thus. I always liked the Command Squad with 4 Plasma guns and an apothecary in a drop pod. It works quite well for me and for quite a few people. 210 points in a drop pod and there ya go.

DoC

I think you might be going the wrong way in asking what to get next. First and for most, what is it that YOU like to do? What is your play style? Getting stuff from what people say, that "you should get" may not be fun for you.

Make sure before you buy anything, is that this will be fun for you. Try them out, proxy them, just in case you find it not fun to use. 

Advice to a DA Noob:

DoC

wise words......very wise words indeed.

See I just yelled "Don't taze me bro!" It seemed to work well. Getting bashed over the head by a candlestick hurts a lot less.

Deathstrike Chimera, I will say that an often "hidden" unit that most people don't realize are so good is the Deathwing Knights. While not scoring they pretty much do everything a TH/SS unit does only better and the models are awesome. I've found that you only get about one or two chances to Hand to Hand with them so you use smite mode on the one unit you hopefully want dead and then anything extra is gravy. Look at March's Dual Land Raider list for some inspiration on the best way to run DWK.

DoC

Archived