Deathwing Command Squad

Brother Bahram

The champion is actually really good, I just got the Phoenix Terminators delivered this week and plan on doing them as DW.  I'm going to do one for now as a champion.

Oh, the champion is a monster, except for only having a 5++. But is that alone worth making the squad non-scoring? I think everyone agrees that the apothecary is garbage. So unless you're running the toughness banner and enough terminators to make the banner worthwhile, the champion is the only thing a command squad has going for it...and again, I'll take scoring status over a halberdier any day of the week!

It might have been said by someone already - but the DWCS is a really good unit for the SoD in a greenwing army. I think in that situation both the Champ and the Apoth are worth it.

Cheers

I

Lol...yeah, I said that, actually. Kinda contradicts what I just now said, but any comment of mine about DW that doesn't explicitly reference battle company lists should be assumed to carry the caveat "in the context of a DW list."

The problem with having it in a Greenwing army is you're going to need a DW HQ. That could work, mind -- I mean, a Librarian in Terminator armour is a fine addition to any army -- but it means you're not including Azrael, or if you are, you're including two expensive-ish HQs. For me, Azrael (joined to a 10-man tac squad, boosted by the Standard of Devastation) is what really makes Greenwing shine. But you're going to want at least one squad of Ravenwing and another of Deathwing to make him worthwhile...

I dunno. I could sort of see it working, I think, somehow? Maybe drop Azrael after all (unless in very high-points games), and have either:

Terminator Librarian

DW Command Squad

Black Knights
Tacs + Rhinos

Scout BKs forward, drive Rhinos forward and pop smoke, DW assault off the BK homers Turn 2

Or

As above plus a LRC for the Command Squad, with the expectation that they'll be getting into CC pretty early on but still hopefully be close enough to the action to make those tac squad bolters really shine.

Could the first version even benefit from some bolter scouts?

Some people run azzy and zeke in the same list! In that light, a TDA upgrade on a PFG/prescience libby isn't too crazy in combination with azzy?

Also, Azzy only works in larger games. If you're playing green wing at 1200 or 1500, a tda libby as your only hq, plus a dev squad for the Libby to lead and a DWCS with dakkapole still leaves room for 3-4 ten man tactical squads.

The problem with having it in a Greenwing army is you're going to need a DW HQ.

Well, naturally. No one should take a terminator HQ just so they can take a DWCS. But, on the flipside, if they're taking a terminator HQ anyway, the DWCS is a great alternative to a regular CS in a Greenwing army.

The problem with having it in a Greenwing army is you're going to need a DW HQ. That could work, mind -- I mean, a Librarian in Terminator armour is a fine addition to any army

Exactly my thinking.

Archived