playing with drop pods

like the lion

I just bought some drop pods and I have never used them before. The rules state that once the pod lands the hatches are blown and all models immediately disembark. In game terms does this mean that once the final position of the pod is determined that you have to lower the hatches? What if they cannot be lowered say if they are glued shut? I plan to magnetize mine so that they can be lowered. Lets say for example that the hatches may be lowered, if a hatch cannot be lowered all the way down due to terrain would that stop models from disembarking from that side? How does this effect drop pods blocking line of sight? I have read about drop pod tactics online and one of them is blocking line of sight. If the the hatches are supposed to be blown once it lands then the amount of line of sight that is blocked is severely reduced compared to if they were shut. If the pod was used to block line of sight with the hatches up how would they disembark?

I have always dropped all of the leaves unless it couldn't drop due to terrain, but I just sort of let it lie down as naturally as it can. I think it's pretty cheesy to try and glue them up or leave them up to block LoS, personally. I have a thing for drop pods ( read my IA link ) but it's totally un fluffy to keep some petals up. That being said, I have ideas for a dread pod that involve some funky door conversion...

I wish I would have magnetized mine but there's really no good reason to ever have them up on the field.

I've personally glued them (I've glued ALL the doors of ALL. My tanks actually) because I got tired to see them not staying in place when I transported them.

Games wise it doesn't change anything you can see through a DP, that's the rule so you apply them. So if an opponent want to target a squad being the pod he can do so (even if technically he doesn't see them) and they'll get a 5+ cover save thanks to the rules of intervening models.

Once again the great master speaks quite clearly. I love pods and I find if the person your playing can't either deal with the petals being closed and "imagine" that they are open and they get a 5+ cover then they probably aren't going to be a lot of fun to play against and the doors will be the least of my problems. So if you'd like them open then open them but if you do try and open all of them. as naturally as possible.

DoC

Archived