Stronghold Assault

CaptainKael

By this point, I assume that everyone has seen or heard about the Stronghold Assault supplement. What is everyone's thoughts on these fortifications now?

I am looking at a Firestorm Redoubt with a Magos Machine Spirit (BS3 automated fire) and a Void Shield. As they also revised the number of models that may fire from its single firepoint, I am looking at putting a presience Librarian and Dev squad inside. I figure that this should provide an adequate amount of AA given the condition of our fliers.

I also noticed that they fixed one of the big problems with our Fortress of Redemption with the Remote Fire upgrade. Seriously, who would not take this cheap upgrade?

The Void Shield Network also looks neat. It looks like it could add a lot to a gunline list given this edition's affinity with mass S6 and S7 shooting and even the playing field with many Tau lists. A Riptide outside of its secondary weapon range can only hope to take down 1 void shield at best. If they want to get in melta range within the shield, then their crisis suits will be in a bad spot. Either they get shot by small arms or assaulted by fast counterassault units (read: Black Knights). Conversely, we have better, more effective tools with DWA or drop pod vets to take down their shields if they bring them.

I like the ideas of everything in it .I like the part of the skyfield pad so you can start the game with a flier on it. Problem is that top tier armies will not want to play with it because it will level the playing field and people like eldar and tau don't like that.

The only problem I have with it is D-weapons. I still believe that D-weapons should be left for apocalypse or that the profile in regular 40K should be different (fleshbane, armorbane, maybe reroll successful invul saves?). The lack of any type of save is the big deal. While it does stop such rediculousness as the rerollable 2++ screamerstar shenanigans, Deathwing terminators with SS die just as easily as grots. D-weapons are just not a valid answer to fix the rerollable 2++ problem.

The guys at my LFGS have agreed to not bring any D-weapons. Whether this holds for the other stores and tournaments in my area, that remains to be seen.

I own Stronghold Assault and have read it cover to cover. I think its a really cool book and the scenarios harken back to 3rd and 4th Edition when that sort of game play was in the back end of the rule book.

I don't think D-Weapons and things like the Aquila Strongpoint are the monsters that people in the competitive scene think they are. People will adapt. You bring and Aquila and I bring drop pods with vets tooled up with melta. I'd love to see someone fire Vortex missiles into their own lines.

Now this is coming from someone who doesn't do well in tournaments, but has always loved the Expansions and enjoys both tournament and narrative play. If I was a hardcore tournament player, I probably wouldn't be posting in a Dark Angels forum. Haha. But, I did crack out my first wave Forgeworld Imperial Bunker (long discontinued I believe) and started painting it up in my Angels of Absolution colors this week. I think it'll be fun firing 4 MLs out of my nice safe AV 14 bunker at this weekend's tournament at the Chicago Battle Bunker.

We'll see.

For those of you who haven't seen this Batrep. D-Weapons at their finest.

As for the fortifications I dunno.. They seem like a mixed bag that are more useful for some armies than others. I'd like to see something that helps CC oriented armies and less supplements that promote hordes of ranged units. I haven't read all the book, only scanned it. Hopefully it's good, or at the very least forgettable like some of the other scenario books that not many people ever used.

I like the ideas of everything in it .I like the part of the skyfield pad so you can start the game with a flier on it. Problem is that top tier armies will not want to play with it because it will level the playing field and people like eldar and tau don't like that.

Unfortunately tau and eldar will love wrapping their gun line in void shields as it will make it even cheesier.

Same with guard; a baneblade at the centre of a gunline behind voidshields will be difficult to crack even with D weapons as you need to pen every layer of shield and then fire the D weapon. There will be all sorts of auto/las cannon spam ideas thrown around to bring them down.

Tau and IG may look at the shields too. But the best way to play against them now in most cases is to get in their faces. Shield doesnt help if I get within the 12 inch bubble or in assault. Way I look at it is that it is just 100-300 pts less in tanks or infantry that we would have to fight. Only units that would be overly affected would be devs and long range tanks.

Tau and IG may look at the shields too. But the best way to play against them now in most cases is to get in their faces. Shield doesnt help if I get within the 12 inch bubble or in assault. Way I look at it is that it is just 100-300 pts less in tanks or infantry that we would have to fight. Only units that would be overly affected would be devs and long range tanks.

or scout snipers.

Archived