Easy Lava/Magma basing

Nusquam

Paint the base first with yellow, then Agrellan Earth on top?

Looks good though a little red would be nice in there too.

Yeah. And hmn I think I might try to "wash" some red in see what happens

Edit: Thats hot. (My phone compressed the image a bit)

1499640_10151889914218737_990314146_n.jp

No problem.

1. Base the top in Averland Su.nset.
  2. Layer Flash Gitz Yellow
  3. Apply Agrellan Earth generously, then wait to dry. The more you apply the bigger the fragments will be.
  4. Take a small brush with long bristles and spot the fragments black.
  5. Mix 3:1 water with Flash Gitz and apply with thin brush with long bristles to the cracks. Be careful not to get too much on the top, the edges are fine, it will add a glow effect, just make sure it doesn't pool up in the center of the fragments. If you get a little there don't worry just touch up with more black after.
  6. Do the same with some red, I used Mephiston Red, before #4 is fully dry to have the colors blend more. This will take off the earth color from the sides of the fragments as well.

It takes a bit of experimenting to get the right aesthetic, but this technique is very forgiving, even my "rejects" look pretty good.

No problem.

1. Base the top in Averland Su.nset.
  2. Layer Flash Gitz Yellow
  3. Apply Agrellan Earth generously, then wait to dry. The more you apply the bigger the fragments will be.
  4. Take a small brush with long bristles and spot the fragments black.
  5. Mix 3:1 water with Flash Gitz and apply with thin brush with long bristles to the cracks. Be careful not to get too much on the top, the edges are fine, it will add a glow effect, just make sure it doesn't pool up in the center of the fragments. If you get a little there don't worry just touch up with more black after.
  6. Do the same with some red, I used Mephiston Red, before #4 is fully dry to have the colors blend more. This will take off the earth color from the sides of the fragments as well.

It takes a bit of experimenting to get the right aesthetic, but this technique is very forgiving, even my "rejects" look pretty good.

Thanks! 

At first i was thinking that you used a glue for effect of cracked earth. But this seems quite easy.

Ha, I figured it was easier then painting each individual fragment freehand as opposed to the earth technical which makes them stick out and shape perfectly at least. It can be tedious but it is very doable. You just go through the earth technical pretty fast haha.

Ha, I figured it was easier then painting each individual fragment freehand as opposed to the earth technical which makes them stick out and shape perfectly at least. It can be tedious but it is very doable. You just go through the earth technical pretty fast haha.

I hear that!

I've only used a little for experimenting so far and have noticed we have to use quite a bit each time.

I might look into getting some crackle medium from art shops to make my own. I hear that's considerably cheaper too.

Tried a couple of things to get a cracked ice look. With varying success. Will post a pic of the results when I get a chance. My local GW experimented with mixing colours, think mixing it with Khorne red (I think) gave a nice Martian look... Mixing with light blue/white, didn't really work. Blue base, lots of crackle, then a couple coats of white scar, worked quite well though.

Archived