DA Recommended paint colors?

Deathstrike_Chimera

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what colors you guys use to paint you dark angels as I plan by stopping by the shop today and picking up some paint to use. I'm looking to get maybe 3 or 4 greens and then other stuff for trim and tactical insignias and stuff. If you could recommend like what colors you use for insignias and stuff like that that'd be great. I don't have a ton of experience painting but I have a little. My local shop has all the GW paint so if you could suggest colors in their range that'd be appreciated

Also, is the caliban green primer any good?

I am also curious as to which greens to use for shading/highlights.

For my tactical symbol I use Mephiston red. My skulls/Aquila are ushabti bone. Guns are the same red and leadbelcher.

The Caliban Green in a can I think is great. It is not a primer, but a base, although you could probably get away with using it as one. I prime with a cheap rustoleum or similar brand gray spray, then do a coat of Caliban Green. The models I have sprayed green look 10x better than the ones I did by hand

No experience with the spray, as it still hasn't been released / is not available over here :(

I'll list the colors that I personally use on my models, and what I specifically use them for:

Chaos Black primer

For Power Armor: Caliban Green (Base), Nuln Oil (Wash), Warpstone Glow (Highlight).

Optional: Moot Green as edge highlight, but your models should look fine without it as well. Additionally you could use Biel-tan green as wash instead of Nuln oil, but that's trickier as you dont want that green landing on metal parts of the model (And you can use nuln on pretty much everything)

Metal Parts: Leadbelcher (Base), Nuln Oil (Wash), Ironbreaker (Highlight)

Optional: Runefang Steel, same story as Moot Green.

Aquila (Chest Eagle): I personally don't like the bone color as aquila, I paint mine metal with the colors described above.

Edit: Should you prefer a bone color aquila, you can use the colors as described below.

Robes, Aquila, Scrolls: Zandri Dust (Base), Seraphim Sephia (Wash), Ushabti Bone (Highlight), Screaming Skull (Highlight)

Alternative for Scrolls: Rakarth Flesh (Base), Nuln Oil (Wash), Pallid Wych Flesh (Highlight).

I use this combination on my terminators, as bone colored scrolls on bone colored armor looks odd. But you could decide to use this for power armor obviously.

Shoulder Markings, Guns & other Red parts such as lithanies etc.: Mephiston Red (Base), Nuln Oil (Wash), Evil Sun Scarlet (Highlight)

Flesh / Faces: Bugman's Glow (Base), Reikland Flesh Shade (Wash), Cadian Fleshtone (Highlight)

Eyes, Teeth: White Scar, Abbadon Black

Gold parts: Balthasar Gold (Base), Seraphim Sephia (Wash), Gehennas Gold (Highlight)

Red Lenses: Mephiston Red (Base), Nuln Oil (Wash), Evil Sun Scarlet (Highlight), Troll Slayer Orange (Highlight), White Scar (for the dot in the lense)

Belts, Packs, Leather: Rhinox Hide (Base), Nuln Oil (Wash), Mournfang Brown (Highlight)

I think that covers most of it, good luck painting!

this thread helped me no end (i have it bookmarked) in helping me which direction to take with my greenwing.

although i only have one kind of finished (i get distracted easily) it was my first mini since getting back into the hobby and after following Bryan's advice in the thread turned out an acceptable finish (imho)

I would post a pic if it would prove useful but don't want to spam the op's thread.

if anyone has minis they want to post so I can get some inspiration thatd be great. the other thread with all the different paints is crazy helpful but feel free to put any pics here. if you wanna say what paints you used thatd be helpful. if not, that's cool too.

so post up imustbedreamin

i followed the help in the guide in the above thread and came up with this (still needs tidying up).....i think i followed it pretty closely but the first attempt after a 22yr hiatus i was pretty chuffed with myself.

i read quite a few guides on how to paint DA's but this paint scheme from Brian appealed to be and my idea of what they should look like.

i followed the help in the guide in the above thread and came up with this (still needs tidying up).....i think i followed it pretty closely but the first attempt after a 22yr hiatus i was pretty chuffed with myself.

i read quite a few guides on how to paint DA's but this paint scheme from Brian appealed to be and my idea of what they should look like.

yeah wow that looks great! I like how the colors are more subdued (e.g. the highlights don't stand out quite as much.) it looks nice and blended and suitably dark for a DA.

what did you use for the blue on the plasmas???

Whoops forgot nuln oil wash after first coat of green/ red

Plasma:-

That's enchanted blue, which you can't get anymore unfortunately. Think it was replaced by Calodor Sky or something

Coat over black base with blue,

Wash with nuln oil.

50/50 mix blue with skull white, dry brush lightly. Let dry and repeat x2.

Pure skull white, VERY lightly dry brush

DM

yeah wow that looks great! I like how the colors are more subdued (e.g. the highlights don't stand out quite as much.) it looks nice and blended and suitably dark for a DA.

thanks. thats exactly what drew me to brians guide.

my take on the chapter is they dont want to be dripping with "jewellery" and all shiny and bright, shouting their accomplishments from the rooftops.

they have a job to do and thats all they are interested in.

thats how i like their look to reflect.

Archived