Dante Data Slate

sabbacca

yup, the info in the warlords thing is pretty inaccurate, his list of wargear doesnt actually include the axe mortalis or his deathmask, he lacks the tactical precision and surgical strike rules and the axe mortalis in the relic section is still marked as a master crafted power weapon when it has been officially stated to be an axe (despite it being a horrible waste of init 6...)

I dropped the digital editions facebook page a message about the above and it's been passed onto the rules guys so they can update.

Would be nice if the axe mortalis was given not terrible rules though...

The stuff in said digital edition omits hit and run (surgical strike) and franly, having to use an AP- weapon to use his init is crazy when you have stuff like the burning blade, daemon weapons etc. Even if it was a +x strength AP3 weapon it'd probably be reasonable, or if he struck at init on charge only, that'd fit his background too...

If I had control over making dante I'd do the following...

Make the axe mortals a master crafted power axe that strikes at initiative.

Change the death mask of sanguinius to be the same as any other death mask but have it impose a -1 on Ld checks to resist and have it work on fearless units.

Keep stats and other rules the same, keep points the same.

Wait what?  Can anyone shed some light on this?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/games-workshop-digital-editions/Dante.html

I liked the background. It goes through the highlights of Dante's career. Going through the trials, going into the sarcophagus, how he became chapter master etc. there is a nice prophesy about him also from Sargon Eregesh. Storm Oracle of the black legion.

I would love a novel on a couple of events from his life but how he became chapter master stands out for me. He became chapter master mainly by being the last candidate still standing after a really tough victory for the blood angels that took them to the edge. He took the oath as chapter master still in his bloodstained and Brocken captains armour.

Many thanks. Glad you liked it, dude.

Guest pandion40

Wait what? Can anyone shed some light on this?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/games-workshop-digital-editions/Dante.html

I liked the background. It goes through the highlights of Dante's career. Going through the trials, going into the sarcophagus, how he became chapter master etc. there is a nice prophesy about him also from Sargon Eregesh. Storm Oracle of the black legion.

I would love a novel on a couple of events from his life but how he became chapter master stands out for me. He became chapter master mainly by being the last candidate still standing after a really tough victory for the blood angels that took them to the edge. He took the oath as chapter master still in his bloodstained and Brocken captains armour.

Many thanks. Glad you liked it, dude.

I was wondering if you wrote it, I believe you said you wrote the death company one and that you were writing another.

Dante doesn't get the attention I believe he deserves, so it was great to read a bit more of his history. I believe you got the right balance between how awesome Dante is but also how hard it is to live as long as he has doing the job he does. It definitely left me wanting more.

The prophesy from the point of view of the Black Legion was a particularly nice touch.

You wrote it A-D-B?

I thought these we're essentially just rehash's of the codex work. and hence by the same authors.....have you done any of the others?

I can't speak of all of them but the background in this one and the Death Company one is definitely not a rehash's of the codex. I believe they were both written by ADB. See my post above for a brief summery of what info it contains.

You wrote it A-D-B?

I thought these we're essentially just rehash's of the codex work. and hence by the same authors.....have you done any of the others?

See the BL explanation of them.

They collate the stories known about the character, and add new material.

Hmm I thought the writing seemed good, dante having not been the chosen one so to speak was actually a really nice touch, though id have really liked to see some mention of the events that lead to him being on a penitent mission on a chaos ship and getting blessed by the sanguinor, both the misdead and bleasing seem like formative events.

You wrote it A-D-B?

Sure did. Not the rules, though - I didn't know at the time that these articles were getting rules. I'd like to do more but they're a surprising investment of time (I'm slooowwww) and take a couple of days each. Which isn't something I can risk too often, work-wise. I really love doing them, though. 

So far, I've done Dante, Death Company, and Chainswords. The trick is to make them new and interestingly written, so they're worth picking up. Admittedly they're only the cost of a beer (or a chocolate bar in some cases), but you still don't want someone feeling ripped off. Otherwise it'd be easy to cut and paste old text and be done with it.

Cheekily (or interestingly, depending on your perspective) it's also possible to tie them into other stuff. F'rex, Sargon, the Storm Oracle of the Black Legion, is going to be one of the main characters in the Black Legion Series. It's a key thing to show that even if Chaos Marines and Space Marines despise each other, there's a grudging respect between some of them.

And in the Death Company article, I mentioned how the Chaplain on Mackan was one of the few Space Marines to ever land a blow on Abaddon in ten thousand years, and went into a bit of detail about the guerilla campaign he and his Death Company fought, which caused the Black Legion so much difficulty. That'll end up being a major part of the Seventh Black Crusade, when the series eventually reaches it.

Stuff like that, which'll hopefully end up paying off in time.

• 5 weeks later...

We'll done D A-B, and thanks for raising your head above the parapet!

To tangent on "what should Dante be like in next Dex:" why oh why has he never had eternal warrior? A Lone Wolf gets it soon as his unit dies, this Dude is the Oldest Living Marine! (poss)

6th Ed is all about shooting. Angels can counter that by getting behind firing lines and chewing up troops. but be careful what you wish for, my bid playing friends thought a new dex would be the answer to all their problems...

Archived