New to the Dark Angels and 40K.

Shinn

Pro's to this are: You can pretty much do as you want and have as little or as much attachment to the Dark Angels as you want. Name your characters fluffy mcfluffery bob and no one can say much.

Con's are: if you don't want to spend the time then you have to come up with some kind of story for them and it may be easier to use DA instead.

Me personally I went Disciples of Caliban because it gave me an idea of a strike force, quick reaction very little armor mostly drop pod hunting cypher and I hate Bone colored Termi's so I kept my green and black. I have Librarian "Chuck" who sits around lately throwing out divination all the time. But man those Missile Launchers love it.

What I might do(Especially since I have a friend who loves painting) is take just 3 Marines and try each "Scheme" and see what I think looks the best to me.

Funnily enough...gamewise...I ordered my DV set today..and a few hours later my cousin told me he ordered me one as well..so i'll have 2 :D

Sounds perfect like terrahawk I like to paint test a model. Usually a tac marine with a bolter. Also two DV sets is awesome. I need to get the chaos models from a DV set myself. I have over 100 terminators and just as many tac marines so I decided its time to get them an evil counter part. Always try your paint scheme and see what you like best. Some guys even like to spread it around and have one squad painted as a certain successor and another squad as a different successor. It allows you to mix them in your army as a sort of Unforgiven coming together to fight a common foe type thing. After all we are a "Legion."

You can probably sell the extra rule books and templates on ebay unless you've got a friend who could use them. Let us know on what you decide and as you get tactic question feel free to post plenty of guys love to help ya in here.

DoC

I had actually wondered about having different squads as different successors...especially since once I buy my friends stuff off of him he said there's about 50 tac marines still in need of painting. >.> I also went ahead and bought a land raider off of ebay that someone was selling pretty cheap..

My little brother and cousin are wanting to at least try the game so I figure if they get into it they have stuff...and if not..ebay it goes(or i'll decide to keep em and just have something different around.)

For the Land Raider make sure you use the Crusader or Redeemer variant. If the one you get off ebay is the standard variant then just don't add the las cannons. I find the Regular Land Raider just doesn't work well. The crusader is good in that with all the hurricane bolter shots you get some are going to hit even if you move. Plus the Assault Cannon is much better than Heavy Bolters. Lastly having a Multi Melta makes life so much easier on transports. Use the Assault cannon and Hurricane bolter on a Infantry unit and use the Multi Melta on a tank. Or if you really need the tank to die use the Assault Cannon (better chance to pen with a rend math hammer) and Multi Melta and then shoot at whatever you can for the Hurricane bolter. As far as painting goes have fun. If you wanted to paint them pink and call them DA that will work find a color scheme you like and run with it. Nice thing is having a Deathwing or Ravenwing lets you change the color scheme up a little or a lot and then you can change up what you are painting. Paint a squad of Deathwing, then a squad of Ravenwing then a squad of Greenwing. Hopefully you don't get too bored with it that way. 

Lastly having a Multi Melta makes life so much easier on transports.

All the LR have the MM options now.

The only thing I regret withe the standard LR is the transport capacity of 10(5). I would have preferred 12(6).

But having an always firing TLLC is something I've always found useful.

Well the Master and Isiah obviously have more experience than I (and thank you both for correcting my error on the Multi Melta and transport capacity) at this but I personally found I couldn't make it work. Once again thanks for the Multi Melta heads up Master. I still find the Heavy Bolter is meh. It works great when I pair it with other stuff but once again that's me. I also agree with the transport capacity problem. Now that I think about it that was why I didn't like the regular land raider. I always wanted to put a Libby or a Chappy in the thing and I couldn't fit them in a regular Land Raider. So once again as with everything in this hobby. It comes down to what you want the unit to do and how well it works for you.

Assault Squads are some of my best performers. Most people including people in this Forum can't stand the unit. So make it work with whatever you can my friend best advice I can give.

DoC

Sadly it is a regular LR unit..I'd be able to get bits to upgrade it though right? If not a guy I've bought off before has a predator and LRRC that if not bought by the 30th he'll hold for me. Also grabbed a rhino...just because. >.>

"we are legion!" ...wait..."a" legion.

the mars pattern land raider is pretty good, and the crusader is mind-bogglingly awesome. It's the redeemer that's horrible. It's tricky to maneuver the flame template into position, that position isn't always ideal for launching thundernators into assault, and you'll rarely get more than one good shot per game. the hurribolters on a crusader are likely to shoot every turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Well sadly I walked away bloody,bruised but not beaten in the slightest.

With the points being soo low and sooo many newcomers they did teams instead of 1v1s. My ally was IG and he focused his points into tanks. The game type was relic.

He rolled for initiative and lost it to the Grey Knights/Chaos duo we faced. We got through deployment with me lining up a tac squad behind one tank and a combat squad behind another hoping to follow the armor up to the objective. As they say no plan survives contact with the enemy. Turn 1 saw 2 transports and his tank blown to scrap metal...he lost something like 8-10 IG as well with one of my Marines falling to shrapnel. And from there it went downhill with the DreadKnight taking on all comers.

We lasted to turn 8 when we finally packed it up...at the end I still had 3/4s of a tac squad up and fighting and I was the one on my team that did any damage..Including taking out the Chaos Warlord and DreadKnight.

All in all I had a blast. 

Yeah sounds like he could have worked on cover a bit more with the tanks. My personal experience occasionally guard players forget that their tanks aren't impervious to fire and place them out in the open and sometimes they are shocked when the blow up first turn. Unless your my German Friend who can have like 20 shots go against his tanks (mostly Necrons) and have them all miss. We really hate this guy some days.

Glad you enjoyed and learned a lot. Keep going and just enjoy yourself Turn 8 is awesome considering your first time. I was getting tabled by turn 3 for the longest time. Also don't forget to experiment with units. A lot of people on the net will tell you Unit A sucks for these reasons but who knows? You might have the better group or tactics to use it more efficiently than a lot of us. If there is a unit to you that just screams "cool" proxy or use it at least 5 - 10 times to see how best to use it and if it performs well for you. My example is Assault Squads. They've always done decent for me if not amazing especially with a Rec Chappy with JP. I've had two or three occasions they've been wiped before they did a thing but for the most part they do just what I want when I need. So try stuff out and have fun.

DoC

A late welcome to the Rock from me too.

The bath robe is on the hook behind the door in Chamber 42. Take a comfy chair and wait for the welcoming party. Tea and cookies will be with you shortly.

Don't worry about the large chap in the black armour. He is just there for moral support.

i like me my termis... its a fairly pricey list, but as long as youre up against anything but orks (this works great on CSM) use some bikes (they have teleport homers) to DS some termis. if they're a shooty army, make sure you packed knights. if not, take advantage of split fire and rerolls to hit on the turn you DS. plus that extra preferred enemy (chaos) is useful. throw in some chainfists too to take a dump on any tanks ^-^

Archived