Beginner Advice

JGeils81

Hi everyone, I have been wanting to get into 40k for awhile now, but the task seems pretty daunting.  I've never played tabletop wargames, but I've played stuff like Magic and other strategy games.  I ran across your site by accident, trying to look up information on space marines because thats the faction that looks like I would like to play.  Here are the questions I have for you guys, if you don't mind.

1. What is the best way to get started?  Starter Pack? Get some from a friend? Buy off of eBay?

2.There is a shop here just outside Fort Hood here where they play on saturdays, should I go try to watch some other people play before I do anything else?

3. I understand the concept of the codex, are there specific paint schemes that are required? or can I come up with my own paint design? I have been building models for years, mostly military and have an airbrush, paints, modeling tools, putty, plaster etc already. it would be awesome if I could build models AND play with them! Ive seen some pictures of where people had very cool paint jobs on their models, and would enjoy making up my own.

4. I'm 32, so I'm a little set in my ways, I am a fast learner and I LOVE war games, games, strategy, tactics, history.  Where is a good place to read backstory/history on the Space Marines?

Yeah I'm a newb to this, but no need to flame.  Just looking for a little friendly advice if anyone has the time/patience..

P.S. I ask a LOT of questions when learning something new

Thanks all,

Jeremiah

I will see if I can help.

1. The starter set is always a good deal.  the current one has Dark Angels Vs chaos marines, but the Dark Angels can be modified to really be any loyalists with a little work.  If you are lucky then someone will buy the chaos guys and fund some more units.  The starter set will give you some stuff to get started with including a couple of HQ choices.  From there figure out what kind of army you want, be it fast and maneuverable like white scars or the dark angels ravenwing, an imperial fist gunline or a tough Iron hands armoured spearhead.

2.  I would check out the local store.  I will give you a chance to meet some other players in your area, maybe they will let you try a game before you get to heavily invested in the wrong army.

3.  While the codex has colour schemes most areas will have no issues with you doing your own colour scheme, probably better to check the codex before you finalize your idea in case your scheme happens to be the same as an established chapter.  My avatar is the colour scheme of my terminators, which is similar to the rest of my marines and is by no means an official colour scheme.  The only time I have seen someone have issues was when they were using an army that was clearly painted as one well known chapter but trying to use rules for a different chapter.  Avoid that and you shouldn't have any issues.

4.  Lexicanum is a good place to learn about 40k in general and space marines, also asking questions in any of the sub-forums here about the different chapters will usually lead to the veterans of that chapter pointing out specific resources on that chapter.

Hail and welcome to B&C, brother!

1. What is the best way to get started? Starter Pack? Get some from a friend? Buy off of eBay?

I think the answer to that question boils down to two things: 1) Disposable income. If you have the cash then getting a Box set isn't a bad idea. If you don't then looking for second hand armies may be the way to go. 2) How frugal you potentially are. If you have the cash but are somewhat careful with your money then going down the route of a second hand army may still be a half-decent option. There are advantages and pitfalls to second hand armies mind you - like squads and vehicles already sporting options which might not be the ones you'd choose yourself and the army possibly already coming painted.

Now, aside from the actual miniatures themselves, you'll have to factor in hobby supplies (paint, tools/brushes, etc, etc) - although by the sound of it you have this covered - to get the troops ready for battle. You'll also need dice, preferably a rulebook and a relevant codex, a tape measure and a box/carry case to carry your army around in. It kinda adds up. sweat.gif

2.There is a shop here just outside Fort Hood here where they play on saturdays, should I go try to watch some other people play before I do anything else?

If you like. Depends on how sociable you feel. If you do go, I would suggest asking if you can watch a game rather than turning up and hovering, though. Common courtesy and all that. ;)

Whether or not you feel it's polite to buy something while you're there is probably a call you should make yourself. I probably would, myself.

3. I understand the concept of the codex, are there specific paint schemes that are required? or can I come up with my own paint design? I have been building models for years, mostly military and have an airbrush, paints, modeling tools, putty, plaster etc already. it would be awesome if I could build models AND play with them! Ive seen some pictures of where people had very cool paint jobs on their models, and would enjoy making up my own.

Well, as the saying goes - "It's your army, you do what you like with it."

Of course, there are conventions to painting marines (like usually not using camouflage) but it's not like we can stop you from going against convention. I rather prefer to see it as a guideline. Although it might be what you're supposed to do, doing something different can reap it's own rewards if it's done well.

4. I'm 32, so I'm a little set in my ways, I am a fast learner and I LOVE war games, games, strategy, tactics, history. Where is a good place to read backstory/history on the Space Marines?

Hmm. Well, I suppose the Space Marines Codex (current or otherwise) wouldn't be too bad a place to start. Bearing in mind that there are reams and reams of various backstories and information attached to Space Marines in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. My advice would be to pick up a codex and if you have any particular questions just pop on B&C and ask for clarification (or just straight up info). After that, well... I'm literally not sure what to recommend first. There's just so much to choose from.

Yeah I'm a newb to this, but no need to flame. Just looking for a little friendly advice if anyone has the time/patience..

Mark my words, brother, if anyone decides to pick on the newbies I will smite them with a burning brazier. That said, we pride ourselves here at B&C for generally being a rather friendly bunch. ^_^

P.S. I ask a LOT of questions when learning something new

Not a problem. Ask away. ;)

Well, you're off to a good start, B&C is the best place to ask those questions!

Just to reinforce the 3rd question, there's definitely no required colour scheme unless you pick a chapter with an official scheme - you can make your own chapter (DIY Chapter is the term used here) with your own colours no worries.

Best bet when starting off is to get the Codex and move on from there, sometimes one of the little blurbs about a chapter can spike an interest and decide for you what your chapter is going to be.

1. Best way in is probably the most recent core boxed game, it'll come with the mini-rule book and at very least what may turn into an allied detachment. Failing this, the boxed 'regiment'/'strikeforce'/'battalion'/whatever they're calling the multi-unit deals these days for your favourite faction.

2. Meeting the group before hand isn't too bad an idea, but unless your good at spectating and not meddling, it's probably best to not stick around too long. Just long enough to check out what supplements seem to be accepted and if there are any customary list building conventions in the community to be awknoledged.

3. Seldom is a specific scheme strictly required by the rules, but general characteristics are encouraged. A dark angle player would generally be encouraged to build his forces scheme out of blacks, greens, bones, and bits of red as primary colours.

4. There've been a variety of quality fluff releases over the years, if you can lay your fingers on them, Insignum Astartes and the Index Astartes series may be informative. As would Imperial Armour II, there's a second edition coming soon for this.

First ask yourself: are you in it mainly for the hobby (assembling, painting, converting models), or for the gameplay part (which is to say, are you looking for a competitive game to play, possibly even in tournaments)? 

If you're in it for the hobby, my suggestion to you is to buy one box of a unit you like visually and fluff-wise, and paint it up, just to see how much you really enjoy the entire hobby part. A good starting place is the dark vengeance starter set, as it also nets you the necessary templates and rulebook. 

If you're in it for the gameplay, then in all honesty, you'd be better off just playing StarCraft 2 or League of Legends or even Blood Bowl video game. 40k is in a bad place right now gameplay-wise, and I can't even advise you on what army to pick because the ruleset is so screwed up. Even if you buy an entire army right now, it's possible that army will be obsolete a month from now. 

As for your questions:

1. read above

2. yes

3. nope, paint your models however you like. But first spend some time on Lexicanum 40k and 1d4chan, read up on lore, different armies, etc. You might find yourself preferring one of them.

4. Lexicanum 40k and 1d4chan, just google them. 

Thanks for all the help guys!

I would like to do this for both, hobby and the gameplay. 

The reason I basically quit magic is because every couple of months the prior set was obsolete, I was hoping that this would last longer before requiring me to get "upgrades" or "expansions".

I wasn't planning on just going hovering, I have a buddy in my unit that plays 40k and was going to ask if I could go to watch, he's kind of a douche but I figured it could be a way in.

I know that its an money sink, but I've done the same with magic before and they just sit in boxes, maybe I could sell them for more cash if I needed to.  I'm not strapped, and can always come up with money when I need to, but I wont be buying the $11,000 giant space marines army any time soon.

I plan on buying a codex, the full hardcover rulebook and probably doing some reading before deciding to start my army.  I also enjoy doing some scenery, so maybe I'll enjoy making some boards as well.  I spent the better part of the day checking out your guys site and the awesome pictures you guys have here.  I cant wait to get started!

Hi everyone, I have been wanting to get into 40k for awhile now, but the task seems pretty daunting.  I've never played tabletop wargames, but I've played stuff like Magic and other strategy games.  I ran across your site by accident, trying to look up information on space marines because thats the faction that looks like I would like to play.  Here are the questions I have for you guys, if you don't mind.

1. What is the best way to get started?  Starter Pack? Get some from a friend? Buy off of eBay?

4. I'm 32, so I'm a little set in my ways, I am a fast learner and I LOVE war games, games, strategy, tactics, history.  Where is a good place to read backstory/history on the Space Marines?

Little late coming in, but I figure I'll say something anyway:

1. Best way to get in is to get to know other people who play (I know that's not what you asked, but still).  Getting to know other folks who play can give you a better sense of direction, especially when deciding what army you want to get into and learning what the game is like.  The starter set is a great deal, but if you end up not getting into either of the armies in it, it's a little disappointing.  I definitely suggest trying the game out, if you can, and seeing some games before you dive right in.

2. See above.

3. Depending (slightly).  If you want to play Ultramarines, they have a set paint scheme.  BUT, if you want to play a chapter of Space Marines that's related, use the same rules, but have their own paint scheme, you absolutely can!  There are very few armies that you can't use with a different paint scheme and still be accurate to the background.

Now, I see that you're planning on buying a codex and a full hardcover rulebook before deciding on an army.  I suggest buying the main rulebook first, because that'll give you background on every army.  After that, pick a codex based on what you like and what you think looks cool.

The reason I basically quit magic is because every couple of months the prior set was obsolete, I was hoping that this would last longer before requiring me to get "upgrades" or "expansions".

In the past editions have lasted up to five years, and some viable configurations have lasted at least that long. Generally, with the turn over of editions the figures will remain legal, if sub-optimal with new auxiliaries being preferable to support the core troops. If you hang around long enough, sometimes the ancient stuff comes back into vogue.

What is the best way to get started? Starter Pack? Get some from a friend? Buy off of eBay?

Best to start by either buying some Troops choices (that is, tactical marines or scouts) and an HQ, or indeed with a starter set (since those are much better value for money). Build those and play some simple games with them, then pick another unit that you like the look or idea of and add it to your army.

There is a shop here just outside Fort Hood here where they play on saturdays, should I go try to watch some other people play before I do anything else?

That is probably a good idea. Walk in, if there’s a game in progress go and spectate at it, and you’ll probably strike up a conversation about it soon enough. Chances are good that you’ll be able to play a game at the store, with someone else’s army, as a demo.

are there specific paint schemes that are required?

Nope.

or can I come up with my own paint design?

Yep. In fact, I’d encourage it: the world doesn’t need more Ultramarine, Imperial Fists, etc. armies — what it can use much more is people making up their own colours schemes smile.png

Where is a good place to read backstory/history on the Space Marines?

If you can stand the heroic overtones and often frankly ridiculous situations portrayed, the current codex has a good overview. It is intended as a primer for space marine players, after all smile.png

I ask a LOT of questions when learning something new

Better than assuming you already know something, if you ask me.

HA!

most people only know "Love Stinks" or "Freeze Frame"

I use this name for all my online games as well...my dad was a huge J Geils fan...so my first name starts with J and my middle name is actually Geils....

ooh! paint scheme....hand print on all my space marines helmet's....o.O

HA! most people only know "Love Stinks" or "Freeze Frame" I use this name for all my online games as well...my dad was a huge J Geils fan...so my first name starts with J and my middle name is actually Geils....

As a fellow internet goer with a pop culture based name irl , it's nice to meet a brother so to speak.  It's also nice when someone "gets it" and knows where your name comes from.

I wanted to mirror a lot of what others have posted in this thread, with their site recommendations and such; as well as welcome you to the B&C.  The people here quickly become family, and are always dependable as clockwork to answer any and all questions you have.

Best of luck in finding your space marine identity, and looking forward to seeing some work in progress pictures out of you soon!

I just want to say, I am very thankful at how helpful everyone has been on here. You don't see that a lot towards beginners on most things, especially on the internet. It makes me want to do this hobby/game even more.

I will probably have many many more questions in the future, but I will be getting the rulebook soon so I wont have to ask everything on here, and I think it will help immensely.

Thanks again everyone! Can't look up Lexicanum or 1D4chan on my computer at work though verymad.gif damn Army blocks everything good. on the positive side...my wife hasn't bought my christmas present yet....(hey babe, how about some space marines?? teehee.gif ) instead of the racing school or new spoiler for my camaro!

I'd try 40k wikia as well, if the other sites are blocked and you need your 40k fix. Not as accurate as Lexicanium, or as entertaining as 1d4Chan, but it's got more info then Lexicanium due too how easy it is to edit (hence the oft-inaccurate information), and as a Wikia site you might be able too get on it. It's also got a delightful phone-version which makes it my go-to source for info.

On the other hand, if you're looking too gaze at pretty models, Forgeworld somehow avoids the filters on the computers at my school, so it might be worth a try if you're aiming too make your wallet hate you. I should hope the Army has better filters then your average High School, however. >.>

As others have said, I would suggest the Dark Vengence box set:

1. It's not that expensive.

2. It has all the core rules, dice, templates, etc.

3. It has a variety of different unit types - HQs, Troops, Elites, Psyker, Fast Attack, Vehicle (Walker)

4. You can play many different scenarios with just the included Dark Angels and Chaos models - and the scenarios are set up to introduce you to all the different aspects of the game.

Now, others may say the included units are not the best choices for starting an army, blah, blah - but that's not the point. DV is meant to introduce you to the game. You can later buy a specific codex and build an army once you are more familiar with 40k.

You wouldn't want to start building a specific army before you are familiar then find out, you want something different later.

Welcome to the hobby and the B&C,

I just moved from FT Hood a few months ago and I assume you are referring to Battlefield Games.  Will, the store owner is very approachable and can help put you get in touch with some of the local guys. There are also a few Killeen/FT Hood 40k players here on this site you can make contact with such as B&C member Jeremy1391. These guys are very friendly and will help steer you in the right direction as to what to get and how to play.  Alternatively, you can send me a private message and we can correspond. Overall, you will find the B&C community VERY friendly.

My suggestions:

1) Make contact ahead of time and set up a meet where you show up and watch/participate in a battle between 2 other players who will coach you thru the basics. 

2) Show up and ask to watch a game. Introduce yourself as a new and intersted player and start making friends/contacts.

As far as what to get and where....I always recommend buying from your local gaming store. It helps keep them in business and gives you a place to play.  That being said, you can generally find stuff cheaper online, and I fully understand saving is important. 

Bottom Line Up Front: 40k is an expensive hobby and you might want to consider selling body parts to afford it.  I got into it back in 1990 as a young lad with little income. The prices for the product are stupid expensive, but the quality of the models is also stupid awesome now.

Also, because I didn't see that someone mentioned this:

Sometimes, if going with that first starter Dark Vengeance, you can find someone else who is getting it too. Then you can trade to them the chaos for the loyalists or vice versa depending on what army they won't be focusing on...

B&C has always been a place I browsed for the last few years, but only recently joined. Excellent site.

I'm actually primarily a nid player but I frequent B&C quite regularly, partially because it's an amazing community, partially because it's nice to know what marine players have a hard time countering.

Regardless, the B&C is definitely the place to go, especially if you're starting out.

Dark Vengeance is a very good idea, comes with all the basics. At least I think so, I can't recall if it comes with that little core rulebook paperback or not. It also gives you bunch of bitz to work with if you're up to the modelling challenge.

Once you decide on your army, it's going to be almost impossible to play games without a codex, so I'd pick up one of those. Unfortunately, they're rather expensive at the moment, but the people at your local gaming store will likely let you take a peek at their copies. You're doubtlessly going to hear a lot of hubbub about Escalation and Lords of War, but you should just ignore that for the moment.

One last piece of advice: Try to avoid mentioning Matthew Ward (not the singer). Seriously. There are a lot of people who are still really pissed at him.

I'd also say avoid Robin Cruddace, but he's actually been doing a pretty good job of redeeming himself lately. My issue with him is mostly just personal.

Welcome to the forum and as stated ask away with any and all questions. May I recommend the Horus Heresy for just plain reading if you would like some back story. The first three books are excellent but don't start an army until you've read a little about all the armies so you have a good idea of what each is.

DoC

I'd try 40k wikia as well, if the other sites are blocked and you need your 40k fix. Not as accurate as Lexicanium, or as entertaining as 1d4Chan, but it's got more info then Lexicanium due too how easy it is to edit (hence the oft-inaccurate information), and as a Wikia site you might be able too get on it. It's also got a delightful phone-version which makes it my go-to source for info.

On the other hand, if you're looking too gaze at pretty models, Forgeworld somehow avoids the filters on the computers at my school, so it might be worth a try if you're aiming too make your wallet hate you. I should hope the Army has better filters then your average High School, however. >.>

Speaking of a phone version, are there any good free apps for 40k? I have apps for EVE and MTG on my iPhone which are very nice, and was wondering if anyone knew of a good one? I've seen several different ones on the store but one is like $14.99 and I dont know what I would be looking for.

Also, I'm married..my wallet already hates me!  just a good thing I bought my baby before I got married :D otherwise I'd never be able to afford it!

Welcome to the forum and as stated ask away with any and all questions. May I recommend the Horus Heresy for just plain reading if you would like some back story. The first three books are excellent but don't start an army until you've read a little about all the armies so you have a good idea of what each is.

DoC

Sounds like an excellent idea, and I love reading, its another hobby of mine..(I have tooo many).  would I be able to find a pdf or kindle version do you know? or are they only in print?Hardcover/soft cover. 

Plus I love sci-fi stories...so win win!

Just like to say that Standard is not the only format for M:tG, and it's my least favourite by far. Have you heard of EDH / Commander? Anyway, we're not here to talk about that, we're here to talk about your NEW HOBBY!

Good advice all round, and I also advise buying from the place you play, they need all the support they can get.

As a dyed-in-the-wool DIYer, I totally advocate coming up with your own Chapter. If you're like me, you'll feel much mroe conencted/attached to them than you would with one of GW's Chapters (and you'll never have to worry about someone changing the background you love so much, unless you're the one doing it!).

All that being said... don't write off the spoiler for the Camaro just yet, eh? That might still be something you want to get!

Also, I'm married..my wallet already hates me! just a good thing I bought my baby before I got married biggrin.png otherwise I'd never be able to afford it!

you know very well that it is not the wallet that will hate you.

Anyway . Two things others may not have mentioned . The starting alone thing . Not the easiest way to enter the game . And it isn't even about the whole finding opponents/learning the game thing . That can be done with strangers . It is the whole w40k outside of promo games . With like minded friends it is much much easier . So try to join a gaming group as soon as possible .Be on the look out for noob tournaments/campaign , they smooth entering the community by a lot .

Second important thing , from my point of view at least , is the gaming . Nothing worse then then starting with the starters set and finding out you don't want to play any of those armies or worse , not wanting to even play with the models . Watch some battle raports and some games , don't look at the rules but check the dynamic of different lists . Then when you more or less know how you want to play , find an army that can be played that way. w40k is open to counts as , ally , formations etc Unless you go after something like tyranids or demons , your not realy going to lock yourself out of any army. It is much easier nowadays to play the loyalist armies , because of how easy they interact with each other.

1 the starter set, dark vengeance, is the best starter set iv ever seen them release as far as models go, 

2 Dark Angels are the best fluff wise and got the coolest toys (imo) out there anyway so bonus, starter set has them

3 definitely go down and watch, ask around see if anyone will show you the basics i am positive someone will, i have never been to a store that didn't 

4 Welcome to B & C!!

5 I didn't like the Dark Angels color scheme myself so i went with a "successor chapter" in the codex you will find other chapters that derive from the originals they use the same rules, different colors and or color schemes my "Dark Angels" are actually the Disciples of Caliban, and for no other reason then i think they are the awesomerest ones lol

• 2 weeks later...

so during my vacation in orlando, I read one of the Horus Heresy books on my iPhone...wasn't the first one, read Fulgrim...I am now psyched to do this even more, and kill those traitorous chaos bastards!

Archived