Beginner Advice

JGeils81

A few notes after reading this entire thread:

1 - A good way to start, so that you also don't have the insurmountable wall of models to climb, is to play Kill Team. From there, you can go to smaller games. I would build up gradually, and I know the DV models can build a kill team (the tactical marines and bikes are all eligible, though the terminators are not in the latest kill team rules).

2 - On the topic of paints, a lot of people I know are fine with Vallejo, and I personally use a mix of GW (mainly legacy stuff) and PP (I like their paint line). I will echo the comments of thinning paints, and what I can see of your photos look fine so far. If you haven't been painting much, I would suggest there are many tutorials out on the web, and from a very basic level, you can go with the base / wash / highlight approach and everything will look good.

3 - On the topic of airbrushing: it speeds things up a lot. Another trick is using the colored primers from army painter. If you want to go deep down that rabbit hole to paint a lot of models, since I can't airbrush in my current place effectively (NYC condo building), I primer in three steps: black, a color (sprayed horizontal with a slight vertical tilt... imagine from the x axis of a graph about 15 degrees up), and then white (from about a 30 degree angle or so from above, though you have to judge this on a model by model basis), then wash over that with thinned paints.

What you end up with is shadows in the darkest areas where light wouldn't hit (the black), medium color in the mid-range (the paint), and bright color at the top where light hits (the white). The colors you paint over should be thinned to allow some of the base to show through, but I shade my current marine armor like this and it works great for getting a lot of guys done. This takes some practice so I'd advise grabbing some random knick-knack you don't need and primering that and testing on it, before doing your models.

Will be watching for future progress as well, and welcome aboard!

Tactical squad is getting there! new pic up, another iPhone one. :( 

Think I will work on basing some tomorrow...

Question! - my new brushes seem to be "spreading" I'm keeping my paint near the tip, because I know its bad to get it up near the ferrule.  however, my smallest brushes are spreading rapidly.  Is there an efficient way to prevent this? im not letting them sit in anything point down, I rinse them in water as soon as I finish a color, and I've been trying to clean them in alcohol too. any advice guys?  Is that cleaning stuff on amazon worth getting?

thanks all!

Jeremiah

Jeremiah,

No idea about the amazon stuff but I will say for me before I put the brushes away I put my brush in clean water and gently twirl them together so it swirls at the tip and it seems to work well for me. Take what I say with a  grain of salt I'm a terrible painter and do even worse for taking care of stuff thank god my wife is artistic.

Secondly when it comes to factions/groups/codeci you want to get own. I've learned to read what you think is cool and then get it. The rules change with new books and sometimes just an edition change makes an entire army awesome when it used to suck and vice versa. Between the codex update and the new edition Tau went from being an army everyone laughed at to being a source of nightmares for people playing against. So I just pick groups I think have a cool story and go from there. I bought Tau because I think they are actually pretty awesome (farsight specifically) but I refuse to run more than one Riptide at a time. There are ways to play to make you more efficient and ways to play that make you a "fluff bunny" and you will have to see what your gaming group is like. My group is all about the fun and fluff. We had a WAAC (Win at all costs) guy play with us twice. He hated it and we didn't have a great time. He was too competitive for what we were after and he wanted to tell us how and what units we should be running. We thought he brought boring armies with three maybe for of the same exact units over and over.

Your group might be a mix of both or heavily one or the other but if you aren't having fun then there's no point in playing. Especially how expensive this hobby is.

As recommended the first four horus heresy books are what you need to read to have a good base of whats going on for the entire universe and then its whatever factions books sound good to you.

You will see people say on here that Chaos sucks and don't get it but I can tell you I love them. For a newer collector they make an awesome army I think. Whatever you want to do is possible with chaos. The armies and units can be converted and cut up with any bits and pieces you'd like to put on them as long as the armament fits the rules you're good to go. I've found the loyalists are a bit boring in that each unit has the same and the guys are all armed armoured essentially the same. I do collect DA though so take that with whatever salt you will.

Hope this helps and enjoy the game as much as you can. Also start small with your games one or two units. Then 500 pts then 1000 pts then move on to the big games.

DoC

The only advice I can offer is to test out the waters of the local gaming stores and clubs. Spending hours on a fluffy army only to realize everyone around you is a win-at-all-costs player who will at best table you in two turns without remorse or at worst refuse to play you because you offer no challenge is disheartening. Samewise, you might get bored (and abhorred) if you're a competive player amidst fluffbunnies.

I'm going to admit to my bad habit in response to your brush thistles spreading problem. After I rinse off the brush after every time I use the paint, I actually suck on the brush for just a second to realign everything. That's what works for me, I know other people who do it and we're all called paint eaters but that's what works and I haven't died yet. LOL

My advice past that is buy all the things...no seriously be very careful in what you buy. A lot of new players tend to rush in and buy a whole bunch. And while this hobby does tend to have a pretty steep start up cost you don't want to compound the issue by buying things you realize down the road you didn't need. Go to hobby stores, talk to other players, this site helped me A TON when I was first starting. Go to your chapters forum and read the lists people are running and why and decide for yourself where you want to go.

I paint with mostly GW paints and am now starting to branch out. GW paints are solid for the most part but certain colors you'd probably be better off buying valejo or something else. It all just comes down to you trying it out and figuring out what you like. Most of this hobby is trial and error, experience, getting together with the old salts who have been around and learning basically what not to do and then adding your own not to do's to the list. We have the unique position to create our own world however we want it, it's your hobby and the best advice I can give you is to make sure you do what you want with your models/paint even if people think it looks weird. Because it needs to make you happy in the end. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I've noticed the trial and error parts lol, mostly by doing a lot of errors! well its not all that bad, only thing I'm really having trouble with right now is the feathers on balthazar's helm.... Error - don't glue him together before painting >.> even though I did it to fill gaps before sanding.

Going to do a little bit today after running some errands, then going to take some better pics and post so you guys can tell me if I'm going the wrong way in technique...

I'm not using GW paints, and not any technical "miniature" paint >.> my wife says I can't spend $5 on 12ml of paint when I can get 2oz for like $2 >.> so I'm using some cheaper stuff.  Was using some Americana stuff from hobby lobby but having better luck with the apple barrel stuff now, seems to be a bit smoother when thinned.

I haven't bought anything other than the dark vengeance set as far as models go yet. I have a lot to do yet for that set. next will be the deathwing termies, then the bikes, then still have all the chaos stuff to put together/paint so I can get in some practice games against myself...  lots to do.  but my cart on amazon has a ton of stuff in it! assault troops, hqs, fliers, tanks....wish list!

Tac 1 X

Tac 2 X

Tac Sgt X

Not done, but getting there. 

Librarian just getting started on, squad needs some touch ups, and plasma weapons need to be finished.  also realized I forgot to paint all their grenades, so ill have to do that as well. 

Don't want to do the "tron" look, so I don't think Ill be edging their armor a lot, maybe a little though.

C&C welcome guys, let me know if you seen any glaring errors,  new to 40k and don't have a ton of experience with figures

Noticed that the Sgt was missing his pack...I think my 8 year old was looking at him! busted! anyways, its been fixed :D

Note: I think your thread is to the point where you should consider having it moved to either the Dark Angels forum or the Work In Progress forum. Assuming that you're going to be adding to this first attempt, that's probably a better place for it. This isn't where most people go to look at miniatures.

If you do want to be moved, just answer back here and let me know if you want the Dark Angels or the Work In Progress forum.

Having said that, I think you did a really good job on your first figs. I like the green and the red is there, but not too bright. So well done on the basics.

A couple of things you might consider:

1. The flexible webbing at the joints: To help this stand out a bit, sometimes it helps to dry brush a sliver metal or lighter grey over the area. It helps it stand out a little better.

2. The sword icon on the front of the robes of your sgt need a little touch up as I think I can see some red bleeding through.

They look very nice and much better than my first attempts.

Cheers,

It is good to see you making progress, brother, after these scant few months. Stick at it and you'll steadily increase in ability and confidence. Keep going. thumbsup.gif

Archived