Green Command Squad

Landrick

Brothers, I am preparing my army for its second game, against nothing in particular. Just a day of fun at my FLGS. After my first game I really felt like my Greenwing needed more punch and mobility, so I increased it the most cost effective way possible for me, I bought the Reclusiam Command Squad Box. It gives me a rhino(a bit of mobility and my only vehicle besides dreads), an I-C b/c fluff > points cost, and a command squad to carry one of those super sweet banners, the real boost to my foot slogging green guys ( I have 1 RW and 2 DW doing the rest of the work). And now my problem... How do I equip these guys? The Apothecary seems nice, but is it worth it? The company champion comes it at initiative 1.... Ouch. Am I missing some hidden strength? Can you change either of their equipment a from Narthecium/chainsword and Blade of Caliban/combat shield? Or are they stuck with that load out? And what about the other guys? If it weren't for the banner, I would just take company veterans, they seem so much more flexible. Also, my I-C will be leading them. Thanks!

TL;DR, What are effective (or fun) ways to equip the Green Command Squad? Is there a tactica perhaps?

Unfortunately, the apothecary and the company champion are stuck with their equipment.  Company champion is not worth it, as that 6+ invulnerable save will not save him so that he can actually strike.  Use the model as something else (guy with power sword/storm shield for example).  If you really want to use a banner with them,  I think Fortitude is the only sensible choice (as they are quite pricey).  This makes the apothecary redundant however.  Banner of devastation is really only beastly on a ravenwing command squad because they are relentless and can take advantage of salvo quite nicely.  

If you're not dead-set on the chaplain rolling with this squad in particular, I would run them as the vanilla-standard 4x plasma guns and apothecary.  If you really want them running with the chaplain, tool them out for close combat, but know that they WILL be expensive and will require some extra bits.  Don't give them anything too expensive like a fist or thunder hammer, but rather a couple of power swords/axes.  This would probably be more fun, but not as useful.

I agree with Corlin on this one. 4x Plasma is the best bet. Especially if Dreads are your only other armor that Razorback (or rhino) is going to get owned everytime. I would try and place the command squad in a Drop pod if you have or can find one. Lastly for a few ideas on mobility. Ravenwing do it quite well of course and just because you are doing mostly greenwing doesn't mean you can't have a squad of Ravenwing helping out.

If you want to stick with Greenwing only theme (I like to do this a lot) then might I suggest the humble Assault Squad. While they aren't awesome beyond repair or cool like the Ravenwing Black Knights I find they do pretty good work if you send them after your opponents normal troops or "tac squad equivalents." If you want to add a Reclusiarch (no idea what your HQ's are like) then I find they are pretty good at a first turn hurt. I usually run my Assault Squad 10 man with 2 flamers and either PF or Power Sword depending on the Sgt. Occasionally I like running 2 plasma pistols and one on my Reclusiarch. Many people don't like them but they work well for me. The best thing I find for Assault Squads for me is they add a good Quick Reaction Force that I can just have jump over terrain and use as a speed bump unit if need be. If I don't have the HQ there then I'm not so worried about the approximately 200 points "wasted" because they do their job in tying up the nasty unit for enough time for my other squads (plasma command squad usually) to get in place and react when they finally lose or are wiped out the offending unit is stuck waiting and my squads open up on him.

Lastly try different things and see what works for you in your meta and area. Most people hate assault squads but in my gaming group they work great.

DoC

4x special weapons, apothecary For maximum survavibility... Put in a DP an Alpha strike them using a librarian to twin link their weapons...

this is the best way to use a command Squad in PA in our codex...

dont wast points on the Champion (blade of Caliban is Total crap) or on a banner (they Will die fast so banner Will be wiped out after a turn or two)...

4x special weapons, apothecary For maximum survavibility... Put in a DP an Alpha strike them using a librarian to twin link their weapons...

this is the best way to use a command Squad in PA in our codex...

dont wast points on the Champion (blade of Caliban is Total crap) or on a banner (they Will die fast so banner Will be wiped out after a turn or two)...

Please note that this will work only at turn 2 and not the turn of their arrival.

The librarian cast divination at the beginning of the turn hence BEFORE the drop pod enters in game... And you can't cast a spell from outside the table.

After trying several times to use the banner of devastation on a Green command squad my expectations always fell short. The 6" effective range is too small, and the squad needs a PFG babysitter, even then it's vulnerable to fire... if it's stays out of LoS means that you can't use them in an adavance with the tacticals. As so my belief is that a Green command is not worth it unless youre gunning for 4 special weapons. Everything else, the veteran squad will do better an they're not limited to just 5.

I disagree with the statement that the standard of devastation is only useful on ravenwing. Sure, moving 12" and still getting 4 shots per bike is powerful, but the banner is extremely powerful in a green army spamming boltguns, too.

/edit/That said, green command squads are stupidly hard to keep alive. The best way to field a dakkapole in a green army is either with a DWCS or a land raider. The DWCS is a little cheaper (after taking the TDA upgrade on a character into account), but the land raider isn't vulnerable to small arms fire the way terminators are, dramatically expands the dakka bubble, and provides some dakka itself.

Greenwing Command Squad in a Rhino, banner of devastation, apothecary.

4 x 10-man tac squads with all bolters.

Azrael with the front tac squad so they have 4++.

Cover for the rear tac squads from the front one(s).

Cover for the Rhino from tac squads / terrain / smoke, or better, LOS-blocking terrain so it can't be shot.

Works very nicely. Not my idea originally -- I think it was FerociousBeast who posted a list along those lines in the Army List section?

From your post it sounds as if you have a Rhino available for them.  I would consider taking 2 Plasma Guns to use through the firing ports, and then staying in the rhino with a Banner (your choice of which) which is then measured from the tanks hull giving you more radius to work with.

In my experience the apothecary is generally worth it, the champion is generally not.  If you're going to stay in the rhino as long as possible, getting the second two special weapons may be points you can save for elsewhere as they're only useful once disembarked.

As for the apothecary's wargear, check with your group.  A Veteran must still have his bolt pistol to take the apothecary upgrade, but theres nothing preventing him from making other choices first.  For example, you could change your chainsword for a plasma gun, and then take apothecary.  Once hes taken the apothecary upgrade though his profile changes (from veteran to apothecary) which, due to the wording in the book, disallowes making choices... so some players may frown on buying wargear in a certain order.  My group does not, as in previous editions the apothecary could take other gear, and indeed GW even sold models armed with other items like bolt pistols etc... but your mileage may vary.

As others have mentioned, if you plan to attach the Interrogator to the Command squad and then assault with it, things change.  The only banner I would consider then is the Revered Standard or the Company Banner, and you should definitely take the Apothecary.  Some models in the unit should be given melee upgrades (perhaps one power weapon to use at initiative, one powerfist to compliment the chaplains crozius, and since you seem to indicate being a fluff centric player the champion isn't terrible for the WS bump and challenge buffer), and I would suggest someone take Meltabombs.  They are very underrated against buildings, vehicles, and MCs for their low cost if making a take-all-comers list.  Pairing them with a combi-melta on the Chaplain also gives you a backup against a transport if his shot fails, or allows him to split off and have the until collectively try to take out two things (the fist will help too, but against something like AV14 melta will help a lot).

From your post it sounds as if you have a Rhino available for them.  I would consider taking 2 Plasma Guns to use through the firing ports, and then staying in the rhino with a Banner (your choice of which) which is then measured from the tanks hull giving you more radius to work with.

In my experience the apothecary is generally worth it, the champion is generally not.  If you're going to stay in the rhino as long as possible, getting the second two special weapons may be points you can save for elsewhere as they're only useful once disembarked.

As for the apothecary's wargear, check with your group.  A Veteran must still have his bolt pistol to take the apothecary upgrade, but theres nothing preventing him from making other choices first.  For example, you could change your chainsword for a plasma gun, and then take apothecary.  Once hes taken the apothecary upgrade though his profile changes (from veteran to apothecary) which, due to the wording in the book, disallowes making choices... so some players may frown on buying wargear in a certain order.  My group does not, as in previous editions the apothecary could take other gear, and indeed GW even sold models armed with other items like bolt pistols etc... but your mileage may vary.

As others have mentioned, if you plan to attach the Interrogator to the Command squad and then assault with it, things change.  The only banner I would consider then is the Revered Standard or the Company Banner, and you should definitely take the Apothecary.  Some models in the unit should be given melee upgrades (perhaps one power weapon to use at initiative, one powerfist to compliment the chaplains crozius, and since you seem to indicate being a fluff centric player the champion isn't terrible for the WS bump and challenge buffer), and I would suggest someone take Meltabombs.  They are very underrated against buildings, vehicles, and MCs for their low cost if making a take-all-comers list.  Pairing them with a combi-melta on the Chaplain also gives you a backup against a transport if his shot fails, or allows him to split off and have the until collectively try to take out two things (the fist will help too, but against something like AV14 melta will help a lot).

Is that accurate? I follow your logic, and if its right, then the Company Champion is not stuck either. His entry stats that his "Chainsword" only is replaced. So if you replaced the bolt pistol "before" wouldn't that work as well?

Thanks for the reply guys. I dont really want them to be made for melee so much as a melee deterrent, where a big melee group wants to think twice before trying to tear up my tacs b/c the Command guys are protecting it. Do all banners work normally if the squad is in a rhino/razorback?

I need these guys to help my GW advance up the field, what will help that the most?

yes this can work. If your HQ kills the squad however next round of combat more than likely your Champ is dead. And then they just challenge your HQ. So then the question comes down to is your HQ killy enough to smite everyone in the squad and actually win you combat........or did you pay 15 points for the Champ and have him get hammered into goo and then have you HQ wiff all his attacks and now you are about to get your HQ killed. This has been my own personal experience that does not mean it can't and doesn't work. My champ shall probably be named mister wiff for all he has accomplished. But if you like the sword and shield bit then by rule of cool you already win.

Archived