The Most Powerful Add-on for Deathwing?

Prot

What would you say is the most powerful add-on for Deathwing?

Let's say (for the sake of argument) that you have a very PURE Deathwing list of purely terminators. You have enough points (not a specific number) to add ONE unit of your choice to give your army the best chance of taking on all comers.

What is that unit?

A little deeper.... I'm trying to get away from my Ravenwing and I'm building an 1850 list but I struggle to add anything to the list. So I thought it would be a cool experiment to ask what you guys would do in the -one unit add-on - scenario.

It can be anything from the DA codex. A flyer, a squad, an HQ, a fortification, etc.

as much as you want to get away from them, a ravenwing squad with their teleport homers could bring your deathwing in right where you want them.  Or perhaps a squad in a drop pod with a teleport homer in it.  Either way if you are teleporting a lot of guys you want some method of getting them in on target.

What about a Thunder Hawk. It is better than a DP with Teleport homer, as it can drop off units right where you want them that can assault the turn they come in. A decent amount of guns on that boat, too. Plus later on you can use it to shuffle units around.

And last of all, I can also transport dreads... or Ravenwing!

It can be anything from the DA codex. A flyer, a squad, an HQ, a fortification, etc.

So I'm hoping for some good support ideas to fill the holes in Deathwing, but as mentioned can we limit it to the codex? I have most of what's in there so it would be easier to test it out.

Assuming you're starting with a "pure" DW force of Terminators, Dreadnoughts, and Landraiders with nothing else and wanting to move away from your bikes completely, I would consider a Techmarine.

On a Bike with a Power Field Generator he could provide a large amount of support to the vehicles (4+ save and repairs on top of rerolls to damage) and doesn't use up a Force Org slot you might want for other DW things.

It is an expensive single wound, and potentially easy spot for your opponent to pickup First Blood, but Id try a few games with it and see how it goes first.  It should be easy to keep him behind said vechiles and out of LoS, just be careful of things like Tau Missiles targeting him without LoS.  He is T5 2+/4++ though, and with DWA the opponent can probably be kept a bit busy in the first rounds otherwise.  GL.

I know its not "only terminators", but an only terminator list won't gain much from anything in the book except something like a Land Raider... which lands you back here.  Try adding some vehicles and move away from all infantry.

Black Knights, I think. You get homers, much-needed plasma, fast objective contesters, even anti-air at a pinch.

You know these guys have become my favourite unit in the 'dex. The problem is they are so expensive and not a troop in a Belial list. Don't get me wrong if I felt I could wedge them in somehow I would. They are fantastic.

On the Termie Librarian, what would you put him with? What would he have?

If points no object: Level 2 psyker, force axe, combi-melta or Foe Smiter for giggles and possibly a PFG I think.

Divination (Prescience) or Telekinesis powers depending on your preference. With Telekinesis you could possibly lose the shooty weapon upgrades and stick to the storm bolter.

I like the idea of the DA's chapter relic Shroud of Heroes too as you don't lose a weapon but it's stupidly expensive.

Fortress of Redemption is in the main rule book.

That's still not the Dark Angels Codex though.

It's a shame that Codex: Inquisition has been ruled out.  If you didn't want Coteaz (who is just pure awesome) as he's not in TDA, you could have always gone for a OM Inquisitior in TDA with a Psycannon and ML1.  And a few Skulls.

In need of AA a Mortis Contemptor with two Kheres AC and CML.

I don't like the 24" range on the Kheres since the model must be mobile to fill the AA role;  Give me TL Autocannons and the CML please.  Or Las if I've got the extra points.

Paul

See I don't know about the AA anymore. I was using Nephifail as a pillbox until I got sick of it. Now I'm in a phase of throwing some tacticals on a Bastion with a Quad, but here's the thing about a heavy Terminator army: Who cares if your opponent has 4 croissants (which you're going to have trouble getting rid of at the best of times) or who cares if he has a Heldrake?

I've been wondering about this. Since the number one concern is probably AP2, is it even worth worrying about flyers? Plus you can get 'underneath' them quite easily I am finding.... heck I found this out with my Ravenwing. I used to be concerned about flyers like everyone else til I realized I could get under them so quick they're lucky to get one turn of shooting without having to hover or leave airspace.

My problem is I'm a little burned out on Ravenwing but don't see Deathwing doing too well here. I didn't think there was an 'automatic' combo but I was hoping for something to shore up my Termies that wouldn't make me feel like I'm playing at a constant disadvantage.

What I mean by this is... with Ravenwing for instance there is a huge similarity. Numbers wise you are at a constant disadvantage. But the Dakka banner helps tremendously! To offset horde issues I sometimes go DUAL Whirlwinds hidden behind my Bastion. It offsets my two big disadvantages: Hordes and IG/Tau who castle up in cover.

I guess I've watched too many games where guys just plop their termies down and watch them die. I know someone here is big on the Landraiders but I don't think they'd last 5 minutes here... to many necrons... way too much melta. I'd love to try though.

Thanks for the advice.

In need of AA a Mortis Contemptor with two Kheres AC and CML.

I don't like the 24" range on the Kheres since the model must be mobile to fill the AA role; Give me TL Autocannons and the CML please. Or Las if I've got the extra points.

Paul

That's really not a problem for me. Flyers are often obliged to move close. And you can create a dilemma : either you approach from my tactical squad with your helldrake and risk to be intercepted by the contemptor nearby, or you stay far but make no damage this turn...

The LC are nice but costly and the autocannons have no points when you can field a double autocannon + aegis line for half less

The double kheres + CML remains the best configuration in term of cost/efficiency.

In need of AA a Mortis Contemptor with two Kheres AC and CML.

I don't like the 24" range on the Kheres since the model must be mobile to fill the AA role; Give me TL Autocannons and the CML please. Or Las if I've got the extra points.

Paul

That's really not a problem for me. Flyers are often obliged to move close. And you can create a dilemma : either you approach from my tactical squad with your helldrake and risk to be intercepted by the contemptor nearby, or you stay far but make no damage this turn...

The LC are nice but costly and the autocannons have no points when you can field a double autocannon + aegis line for half less

The double kheres + CML remains the best configuration in term of cost/efficiency.

ADL =/= Fluffy for Deathwing, so I'll take that argument as moot.  a 24" bubble is nice, don't get me wrong, but I also want to be able to use my dreadnoughts on T1 and 24" doesn't always give you range.  With the Autocannons, I can easily be popping Rhinos T1 before Fliers come in, and still get my Interceptor and SkyFire when they come in, since 48" lets me touch most of the board.  The Las pgrade just makes them that much nastier.

Paul

With the CML you'll still hit at 48, and the 12 rending shots from the assault cannon can take a flyer down even if you move. Toss Prescience on it and it becomes even more useful.

If the enemies doesn't have fliers (Because you make a all-comers list) the assault cannon will be much more useful. I've only used it twice but it was amazing. In a battle VS Necrons it mowed down a huge scarab swarm before it reached my lines, took down one of the spiders spawning them and limited all the enemy fliers from half of the board. It was the scouring mission so it more than paid for itself. Against c:SM It took down two fliers. One died to the CML that used interceptor/skyfire and the other to the AC next turn when I advanced (Prescienced for maximum effect).

While the range of the Autocannon is great... I think the assault cannon is better over all.

Just my 2c.

Archived