We Ride for the End; Ravenwing Huntmasters formation

Tiger9gamer

So i discovered I am one Darkshroud and two batle boxes away from this formation. I want to talk tactics =D

so, for this formation, can you outflank as one unit and use the turbo-boost attack in the same turn? Or maybe set up this huge alpha strike with 12" Scout move, 24" move, and then attack? Also, should most of the speeders/bike squads take melta guns for said aplha strike?

• 3 weeks later...

SO i had my apoc game today, and used a lot of RW bikes. I think that the turbo-boost attack would be great for an alpha strike against enemy emplacements and super heavies, provided EVERY biker squad has melta guns. 

in other news the Vindicator formation is super fun, especially destroying buildings! the Whirlwind formation is Meh, but only because I used the cloverleaf barrage in place of the newest one. I'm sure it could have been better!

Tiger you describe using a ravenwing formation but then you didnt say how it actually performed. Do you feel that you should have used them to alpha strike or did they get used to alpha strike? What was the end resultof the game and its high/low points

I was saying after my experience that they would be able to alpha strike a lot better, I think. I didn't use the actual formation as i wasn't able to put together all my models so fast.

anyways, if it allows 5 melta biker squads 5 MM attack bikes and 5 speeders that could have dual MM's to get in range of a super heavy for big arse fort to melta it to death, then yes I think it could be one warp of an alpha strike

I think it would do really good vs all super heavys minus the elder titans (unless more have some kind of 3++ shields as well). 20 normal bikes throwing str 6 nades (5 squads of 4 normal bikes, or 3 if the Sgt has a melta pistol), 10 melts guns, 5 multi meltas, 5 speeders of some kind (I prefer typhoons with multi melta) and 2+ shrouds. If you keep grenades in mind you could smoke anything that's av12 or less without batting an eye by glancing it to death plea the threat of meltas. With everything in 1formation does that mean the all act as 1 squad for targets in shooting or do they act as different squads (like when picking targets for shooting). I still think its odd that sammael isn't in it because balial is in the deathwing formation and that thing is scary, all termed get rend, ranged and melee (yes please).

Archived