BA camo

DarkMark

Hi,

I know for some the idea of BA wearing camo is a dirty word, but way back in ye olden times it did exist. In particular, I'm referring to the camo design on our old Imperial land raiders. For those of you that don't know its a browny, mustardy, and reddy brown colour. Does anybody know the story behind the pattern, or even better have a painted example?

I think my new year's painting goal will involve some of those FW sniper marines, with the cloaks, and reckon it would be a nice tip of the hat to days gone by to paint them with it.

So, if you've painted some camo on your 'angels please do show them off here.

Issue 235 had a big BA army shown, the guy did a desert camo rhino with a full squad of mk8 armour troops (AT-ST for a titan, and custom made land raider etc), but there is no explanation for the camo.  My issues go back as far as 213 around 1998, no idea before then sadly.  Looking through the back issues it makes you wonder ... didn't realise some units/models were made that far back!

I'd imagine desert camo would be most appropriate to BAs, so maybe look up some real world camo and steal ideas. I've done some urban digital camo on my scouts and there are a few pics in my blog if you're interested.[/plug]

@Infryrana: I'd love to see that pic from WD#235 if there's any chance of you posting it.

AGPO - I don't wish to overstep any copyrights etc, *edit* gonna see if I can get the images linked here and I can pm you the link.

I had to re-dig it out of the stack of issues 2 foot high lol, heavy stuff those darn things - I should ditch them, but they have lots of great pics and fluff in them.

Ok, made a new gallery called "An image request", should also be in the latest of gallery posts, or sort by most recent date.  There's two pics in there, one of the camo'd squad, one of the titan (well why wouldn't you want to see it?).

I have the rest, but I don't wanna step on anyones toes if such images aren't allowed.

*damn, I really need to stop editing my posts.  Ok, images are poor and so was the lighting - apologies for that :)

Cheers guys, I actually managed to find a camo marine blog with some crazy old skool schemes over on Dakka (Big H if you're interested). Although I thought they were quite cool I've decided to keep any camo to vehicles and sniper cloaks etc. The leopard fur idea is different and might try to add a bit in though it does feel a little glam metal. sick.gif

If you are good with weathering techniques and/or have an airbrush, you could probably disguise the pattern with some fading, shading, muddying and otherwise blending it into solid colours so that the pattern is only really seen in the middle of any sectional panel / item of cloth.  This would at least dampen the colour so that it doesn't scream tacky :)

Archived