Need Help

Komrk

To start off I don't know if this is the right place but it's about fan fiction. So I've been writing a story, but I've started putting off writing more because I don't know how to write Space Marine combat sequences. Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Hmm. My advice would be: Don't be afraid to kill your darlings (yes, I know I've ripped that from Faulkner). Combat for space marines is brutal and short, usually, with the space marine either victorious or dead. The way I approach writing space marines is somewhat sadistic - I will make sure astartes pick up at least some sort of injury (usually grisly or painful). It's in the nature of what they do. It's incredibly dangerous stuff and should be depicted with risks and consequences.

The thing is, you need to be in the saddle if you are to get any better. As they say, practice makes perfect. Clatter out a few micro stories or do a serial over the course of a month here on B&C. The point is - the more you write (and the more you get critiqued), the better you'll get. I've been dabbling with writing for years now - not only do I consider myself an amateur still but the best thing you can do is write with the intention that others WILL read it. It makes you start to question what parts work and what parts sound a bit guff.

A nice little short cut (for me I must hasten to add) is to try to write with a 'horror' slant on the tale. The idea is to make you think how a horror film or book would do things, how they would depict things and, crucially, how they would kill their darlings. wink.png

Hmm. My advice would be: Don't be afraid to kill your darlings (yes, I know I've ripped that from Faulkner). Combat for space marines is brutal and short, usually, with the space marine either victorious or dead. The way I approach writing space marines is somewhat sadistic - I will make sure astartes pick up at least some sort of injury (usually grisly or painful). It's in the nature of what they do. It's incredibly dangerous stuff and should be depicted with risks and consequences. 

The thing is, you need to be in the saddle if you are to get any better. As they say, practice makes perfect. Clatter out a few micro stories or do a serial over the course of a month here on B&C. The point is - the more you write (and the more you get critiqued), the better you'll get. I've been dabbling with writing for years now - not only do I consider myself an amateur still but the best thing you can do is write with the intention that others WILL read it. It makes you start to question what parts work and what parts sound a bit guff. 

A nice little short cut (for me I must hasten to add) is to try to write with a 'horror' slant on the tale. The idea is to make you think how a horror film or book would do things, how they would depict things and, crucially, how they would kill their darlings. :wink:

Thanks for the advice, now I need to work that into how a stealth squad would go about it behind enemy lines (they're Raven Guard) and they have only 6 people (deployed from Stormraven). I imagine it would be more of an assassination type killing but I'll make sure it's plenty gruesome because they all have lightning claws. And I'm thinking of doing a mini series following one veteran Sergeant or squad.

I still have much to learn about writing combat scenes, but when writing the few I have done, this is how I did it:

Think about the beginning and the outcome of the fight - who begins the fight? Who wins, how (stabbing, beheading etc), does the victor walk away uninjured? If not what injuries did they get?

Mentally "play" the scene in your head as if it's a film. Don't try to get it down on paper or computer, just get familiar with it.

Once you've done it a few times, "zoom in" on each part - who attacks with what weapon, what does the opponent do to counter etc.

Add in the details. What happens around them, the look on each fighters face, any motivations for the fight, etc, etc.

It's a long winded way and not for everyone I realise, but it might help you find your own way of doing it smile.png

I'll keep an eye out for what you eventually write about! smile.png

I still have much to learn about writing combat scenes, but when writing the few I have done, this is how I did it:Think about the beginning and the outcome of the fight - who begins the fight? Who wins, how (stabbing, beheading etc), does the victor walk away uninjured? If not what injuries did they get?Mentally "play" the scene in your head as if it's a film. Don't try to get it down on paper or computer, just get familiar with it.Once you've done it a few times, "zoom in" on each part - who attacks with what weapon, what does the opponent do to counter etc.Add in the details. What happens around them, the look on each fighters face, any motivations for the fight, etc, etc.It's a long winded way and not for everyone I realise, but it might help you find your own way of doing it :)I'll keep an eye out for what you eventually write about! :)

All advice is greatly appreciated and I will have to try that method out. Thanks for the tip.

For recon related sequences speak to any mates you may have in the army, I'm not sure how recon-based training is in the US but a hell of a lot of ours in the UK is, they'll be able to give to some nice tips as to how it actually works.

Similarly, read about - there's a hell of a lot of accounts from Afghan and Iraq that you can draw inspiration from, then look about at more medieval related history for the up close and personal.

I would make sure that there is a storyline within the fight - random violence, at least for me, is a big turn off. Has X killed Y because he's had to ensure opsec? Is   he taking out a sentry/roving patrol? If it's because you felt that the story was slowing down and you thought you'd just stick a random bloke in for your protagonist to fill full of bolter holes to keep it exciting it won't work properly.

As has been mentioned, there's nothing wrong with getting your men injured, just make sure that their injuries are consistent - don't let one get shot in a knife fight for example, I've read a few of those before and been rather confused lol. Also make note of their injuries in the fight: give him a limp from having had his knee armour damaged, leave him with reduced reactions because of a concussion.

Just practice!!

I hope I have helped, and look forward to reading anything that you produce!

You could use some basics from reality for the combat sequences. If one hits a target with the uper- longend- quarter of his chainsword it makes a "kickback" (even since he is astartes) (the sword just flips back right to a side or worst in his own face) that would be a cool in-trouble thing for any astartes (have seen realy expirienced lumberjacks in real life who still where that bad luck ... And even two of em are still alive and on good health.. [with large scar])

Archived