Could I use beastmen as cult troops

ZONKEY

I use them as melee cultists. Since they're so lightly armoured, you'd have a lot of work to do to explain how they get a 3+ save. Even bestigors lack the amount of armour you'd need to make that save convincing. You best bet is to either replace the beastman torso with a power armoured torso, or use a beastman head, either marine or beastman arms and Tau stealthsuit legs.

Fluffwise though, you're sweet. The Eye is full of all sorts of mutants, beastmen included, and it's not a stretch for a denizen of the Eye to be on par with a marine physically.

I think cultists have a 6+ save due to there being rag tag Khorne followers

The confusion is that "cult troops" is normally used to refer to Berzerkers, Noise Marines, Thousand Sons and Plague Marines (and sometimes to Raptors and Obliterators), as they are the Berzerker Cult, Noise Cult, etc.

Though I'm guessing the OP meant "cultists", in which case Beastmen work perfectly fine. I have a unit of Cultists that consists of a mixture of Beastmen, Marauders and Flaggelants that works pretty well for me.

I use beastmen as Kroot for fluff purposes. In the end, as long as it is obvious which unit is being represented and there are no ways to confuse them you can go nuts. I even saw Ogres converted to Obliterators and Centurions, Dreadnoughts to Broadsides, Minotaurs to Riptides, Vampire Count ghouls as Plaguezombies or the Rhino hatches being converted into Drones. There is no limit, just be sure to tell your opponent what said unit is and equip it with their respective weapons, then there shouldn't be an issues. All you need is a little imagination for the fluffy bits. In the end, your minis, your style ;)

I think cultists have a 6+ save due to there being rag tag Khorne followers

The confusion is that "cult troops" is normally used to refer to Berzerkers, Noise Marines, Thousand Sons and Plague Marines (and sometimes to Raptors and Obliterators), as they are the Berzerker Cult, Noise Cult, etc.

Though I'm guessing the OP meant "cultists", in which case Beastmen work perfectly fine. I have a unit of Cultists that consists of a mixture of Beastmen, Marauders and Flaggelants that works pretty well for me.

My thoughts exactly.

Archived