Digital Advent Calendar - Dark Angels

il-Fieres

I just seen that you can only pay with a credit card wich I don't have.

Does somebody know another way to pay for those digital gw stuff or do they only accept credit cards? Maybe Pay Pall?

Not that I know of. Might be worth a question to GW / BL though to clarify.

Cypher is ba-a-ack! Xmas came early!

DA's will be glad he can't be taken in a DA army. Yet, Cypher's supporters may be glad to know he isn't consigned solely to chaos space marines.

He can join Adeptus Sororitas, Blood Angels, Chaos Space Marines, Grey Knights, Imperial Guard, Inquisition, Space Marines, and Space Wolves.

The Lord of the Hunt story is too short, but you get what you pay for. I haven't listened to Cypher's mp3 story yet.

It would have been much more fun if he could be taken in a DA army, but as a desperate ally and units containing a model with the inner circle special rule had to fire upon him if in range.

Or something....

The point is I made a squad of plasma/bolt pistol vets and it irks me I can't take their inspiration in my army tongue.png.

I just seen that you can only pay with a credit card wich I don't have.

Does somebody know another way to pay for those digital gw stuff or do they only accept credit cards? Maybe Pay Pall?

Don't they also have that iDeal thingy?

And sodding awesome, forgot the secret question @ BL so I can't get Cypher. >_>

you would be a very wealthy beginner after buying an army, iphone, rulebooks, dataslates etc.

Get an eReader instead, they're probably a bit cheaper.

Posted · Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, December 25, 2013 - also saying where to generally llook for cypher rules
Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, December 25, 2013 - also saying where to generally llook for cypher rules

No mate I can't find the Ideal thing cause I always pay with that if I order something.

His rules are up at 1d4chan.

I would really like to read some more background info about him or is it still the same like we all know from him?

It seems like he is more of a fun character with some sweet rules but not an auto include for most people I think, people who will play him are fans of him and will use him just for the rule of cool.

Also:

Picked up the rules already. BS 10 and can fire both Pistols twice or run and shoot both pistols once. Just shy of 200pts and can be taken in any Imperial or Space Marine (including C:CSM) army except for Dark Angels. There are bonus rules for him vs Dark Angels. And a formation where he can take a unit of Chosen from CSM with him that come with Infiltrate.

Downside, he can not be your warlord, and he applies -1 LD to your warlord.

Should also note he is Initiative 8 and can fire his pistols in Close Combat. No Invul.

Without going into rules specifics (per the good Chaplain's instructions above), consider the following:

1. The new rules significantly upgrade Cypher's old stat line.  What's a good way to put this?  Have you seen the temporary rules that had been written up for Cypher for a Spanish tournament?  Well... use those as a starting point.  :)

This is neither here nor there, but this new Cypher strikes me as being somewhat like Castellan Crowe in the sense that he is a formidable fighter (to say the least) who combines unique rules with surprisingly mundane weapons (though there is one tasty exception to be found).  In this, he is kind of the polar opposite to a bevy of characters who share similar (if not identical) stat lines and rely on special weapons to make them distinct. 

2. The rules concerning Cypher's "entourage" stay true to the spirit (and, really, the content itself) of his original entry in Codex: Chaos Space Marines from three or four (?) editions ago.

There is A LOT of background information.  Much of it, to be honest, is a re-hash of the traditional Dark Angels history.

(To be fair, this is necessary because Cypher can be used by any number of armies whose players might not ever have been interested in investing in Codex: Dark Angels.  Are the odds of someone who is willing to drop $16 on this dataslate being ignorant of the history of Cypher and the Unforgiven pretty slim?  Sure.  Still, the point stands.)

That having been said, there is TONS of new Cypher background information (and some very nice illustrations, as well).  The sense of Cypher being an enigma remains, but while a clear answer is never given, I think the overall direction of the dataslate is that Cypher ultimately works on the side of the greater good.  There are some rather interesting sections describing the times that Cypher's path has crossed that of the Unforgiven.

Anyways, at 64-65 pages of background and illustrations (to include a few pictures of models - Cypher's and those of Fallen) plus another 80-ish pages dedicated to Cypher's own "Altar of War", I'd say the price tag is justified.  Sadly (for fans of the Fallen), this dataslate means that there will probably not be a Codex supplement for the Fallen Dark Angels, but this is a close second.  You even get a reprint of a pretty rare piece of fiction:  Cypher's meeting with Abaddon at the beginning of the Thirteenth Black Crusade!

Interesting to see that he can be taken in a Codex Inquisition force. That could create some novel army builds.

But he is very expensive - even though he has some neat rules.

Overall an interesting dataslate but I do wonder how often he'll actually turn up on a tabletop.

Cheers

I

Interesting to see that he can be taken in a Codex Inquisition force. That could create some novel army builds.

But he is very expensive - even though he has some neat rules.

Overall an interesting dataslate but I do wonder how often he'll actually turn up on a tabletop.

Cheers

I

In order to abide by the fluff, he shouldn't show up too often on the tabletop. And to be fair to the many debates about the amount of Fallen Angels gathering together into armies, the dataslate hammers it home (its pretty repetitive actually - almost too much devil.gif ).

If I were to play another army I'd almost always consider taking Cypher just to keep him hidden somewhere on the field.
With his WS, BS, way he attacs and all the special rules he is goung to be hell to catch, but by just keeping him bunkered somewhere he grants d3 VP to his side!

And that where his true strenght lies!

Just a shot across the bow: No full rules of Cypher and no saying where to look for them. Those that want the rules without paying for them don't need any help .

Selah.

That having been said, there is TONS of new Cypher background information (and some very nice illustrations, as well). The sense of Cypher being an enigma remains, but while a clear answer is never given, I think the overall direction of the dataslate is that Cypher ultimately works on the side of the greater good. There are some rather interesting sections describing the times that Cypher's path has crossed that of the Unforgiven

One thing I also noticed is that on the Black Library's page it is listed for both Warhammer 40,000 as well as Horus Heresy series. Now, I assume that the rules are only 40k-approved, but does the fluff tie in with the HH-series?

Only if playing against dark angels. So we will probably see him across the table quite a bit

So what are we going to do about it?

Porting in a squad of DWK?

For what's worth I think probably more DA players ould field them than any other player.. we seem to be fascinated by him more than anyone else, maybe because he's the frbidden fruit. Tht said I'm very curious about the new background. Ruleswise the rumors I saw placing him as ally to other SM chapters is a "faux pas" and it's literaly as disgusting as the Necron-Blood Angel brofist. Just doesn't make sense.

From Natfka, giving a recap, so those who play against Cypher, 

He is quite the powerful character, and point cost wise, is not that bad. There is the issue of extra victory point conditions when Cypher is fielded across from Dark Angels, and a -1 leadership penalty to your Warlord if you take him. Otherwise I see him as having some very powerful abilities that should make him quite powerful, even with the drawbacks.

I wonder what these conditions are. Have to wait till next pay day to get this. 

Also I can't find it now, but if playing against Cypher DA players get a special rule. Since I don't play no more, I forget what this rule is. Zealot maybe? Not sure what Zealot does. So we DA players get a bonus if playing against him, I think. Anyone know what I am talking about. 

Come on pay day. :)

It actually states that he has to be alive at the end of the game for his army to score d3 VP, it doesn't say that he must be played against DA. He only give points to opponent if the opponent is a DA player

It's says

"At Any Cost

The following additional objectives most be used in missions including cypher and dark angels models"

Now I know it doesnt say anything about ONLY missions including both but I would assume that's its meaning ( maybe it's wrong to assume )

Cheers katarn

Archived