Digital Advent Calendar - Dark Angels

il-Fieres

That's what he is : a support HQ so I don't see where is the problem...

A question just to check if I've understood well how it works :

If I take Cypher alone in my chaos army! he occupies a slot in my primary detachment.

If I take Cypher and 1-3 units of fallen they are considered as a formation and therefore occupy no slot in my primary detachment.

Am I right?

That's what he is : a support HQ so I don't see where is the problem...

A question just to check if I've understood well how it works :

If I take Cypher alone in my chaos army! he occupies a slot in my primary detachment.

If I take Cypher and 1-3 units of fallen they are considered as a formation and therefore occupy no slot in my primary detachment.

Am I right?

That's correct. But they are considered a Chaos unit, so they follow that ally matrix.

Cypher by himself can be taken as an HQ choice in the primary detachment of the listed armies (basically all imperial except DA and Chaos Space Marines).

If so it's obscure but a clever one.

Like Cypher, Arnold can be seen in different ways by different people - depending on where you are standing.

Nice historical link idea Archangel.

Cheers

I

Well played, Archangel!

Thanks. It's nice to see a few of my brain cells are still cooperating.

I just read the misdirection story... I knew cypher fought for and against the imperium, but I thought it always against the DA... Looks like I was wrong.

Some might be upset, and cry fluff-kill, but I like the twist.

It's very DA. Plans within plans, pieces being moved in some clandestine chess game towards ... what? dunh-Dunh-DUNH!

Actually this, if for no other reason, is cause to build some "disguised" Cypher models. An Inquisitor, a few alternate marine armours (BA, SW, UM, ...), a Witch Hunter (shades of Gideon Lorr), etc...

When he was grabbed by the BT, wasn't he described as wearing black armour? He infiltrates, blends in.

Brother_Darius, on 27 Dec 2013 - 21:36, said:

While I did buy the Cypher dataslate and found it worth the price ($17), I'm wondering if the DA Champions data slate was similarly of value? As it had a similar price.

The Masters of the DA isn't exactly a dataslate. It's a group of previously released Warlords of the Dark Millennium. If you don't already have them, they're worth it. It's a discount as a group, whereas purchasing them separately would cost a little bit more.

They have some character history, DA codex rules, and a section showcasing their wargear.

Whats this DA Champions data slate?

I am curious, haven't got the Cypher data slate yet. Just curious what happened to Cyphers knife? Wasn't it some C'tan knife or something? Does he still have it?

It's not in Cypher's wargear, ruleswise. However there is a phasey-warpy fluff bit of how sometimes its his ad sometimes its not.

He still has that knife - but not always. In fact most of the time he doesn't have it.

After he used it to stab the C'tan the Deceiver the blade was lost. But as that battle took place in the Warp it's now linked to the Warp somehow and it shifts from reality to the immaterium.

When he does have it it's hidden under his robe.

Cheers

I

PS I'd seriously recommend all Unforgiven gamers to get a hold of this dataslate.

He still has that knife - but not always. In fact most of the time he doesn't have it.

After he used it to stab the C'tan the Deceiver the blade was lost. But as that battle took place in the Warp it's now linked to the Warp somehow and it shifts from reality to the immaterium.

Cheers

I

PS I'd seriously recommend all Unforgiven gamers to get a hold of this dataslate.

Trying to edit the quote, can't do it for some reason. 

Why should all DA players get the data slate? We can't field him, unless we are playing a Non DA army then. 

Cheers

I

Trying to edit the quote, can't do it for some reason. 

Why should all DA players get the data slate? We can't field him, unless we are playing a Non DA army then. 

If you're interested in the DA's back ground, there are a lot of pages of fluff that involve them. It's also useful if you have more than one army.

Not to focus solely on Cypher in a thread about the whole Digital Advent Calendar, but here is part of the reference from Codex: Black Templar .

998.M41 - Crusade of the Ophidium Gulf

(excerpt from Codex: Black Templar, page 20)

... [EDIT] ...

Only reluctantly did the Dark Angels accept the Black Templars' aid, and upon the final assault on the 'Voice of the Emperor's' stronghold, it was the warriors of

Castellan Raimer who breached the defences and captured the enemy leader - a warrior cad in ancient black power armour without livery or panoply. Now suspecting the

source of the Dark Angel's reluctance to accept their aid, Raimer quickly fell back to the Ophidium Gulf and chained the prisoner in its most secure vault. No sooner had

Raimer returned to his ship than the commander of the Dark Angels demanded that the prisoner be handed over to them. Raimer refused at fist but when the ordnance

sensoria warned him that the Dark Angels fleet was powering up their weapons, he knew that he had no choice but to comply. Reluctantly Raimer handed the prisoner over

and, without another word, the Dark Angels broke orbit and departed the system.

... [EDIT] ...

If this violates any rules on posting of IP fluff, please let me know and I'll remove it.

Not to focus solely on Cypher in a thread about the whole Digital Advent Calendar, but here is part of the reference from Codex: Black Templar .

998.M41 - Crusade of the Ophidium Gulf

(excerpt from Codex: Black Templar, page 20)

... [EDIT] ...

Only reluctantly did the Dark Angels accept the Black Templars' aid, and upon the final assault on the 'Voice of the Emperor's' stronghold, it was the warriors of

Castellan Raimer who breached the defences and captured the enemy leader - a warrior cad in ancient black power armour without livery or panoply. Now suspecting the

source of the Dark Angel's reluctance to accept their aid, Raimer quickly fell back to the Ophidium Gulf and chained the prisoner in its most secure vault. No sooner had

Raimer returned to his ship than the commander of the Dark Angels demanded that the prisoner be handed over to them. Raimer refused at fist but when the ordnance

sensoria warned him that the Dark Angels fleet was powering up their weapons, he knew that he had no choice but to comply. Reluctantly Raimer handed the prisoner over

and, without another word, the Dark Angels broke orbit and departed the system.

... [EDIT] ...

If this violates any rules on posting of IP fluff, please let me know and I'll remove it.

I'd say that falls under fair use laws.

Oh, and this may be the event calendar, but it's in the DA subforum. Why would we care about anything but Cypher? ;)

I bought Cypher dataslate cause i own a IW army too and the Cypher model... i can use him just as a HQ in IW or moduify some DA veterans with spare CSM parts to make a fallen formation to go with IW...

And the BG is lovely too... Cypher is really a nice Character... And i think he's still loyal to the Lion but he has his own agenda... This is why he accepts to be viewed like a Fallen from the rest of the Legion...

It would have been much more fun if he could be taken in a DA army, but as a desperate ally and units containing a model with the inner circle special rule had to fire upon him if in range.

Or something....

The point is I made a squad of plasma/bolt pistol vets and it irks me I can't take their inspiration in my army tongue.png.

I would have liked him a fair bit in the army as well, but I couldn't really justify a way to bring him with DAs.

I was thinking in the same way you are, but it just feels a little too unfluffy to have Cypher be on the same battlefield and not having every single DA in the star system dropping everything to run him down.

New idea: Apoc game with nothing but Dark Angels fighting each other to see who gets to interrogate Cypher.

Archived