More models to build - help with Sternguard configs

infyrana

Righty, I just received the new sternguard and tactical boxsets, plus I have some spare bits and a few models that I have re-requisitioned.  I'm looking to make up two complete sternguard squads with some dedicated weaponry I can leave on them and use as is, or by splitting them down into smaller squads mission dependent etc.

Here's where you all come in - their overall setup and options - do I fully deck them with combi-melta's, add in plasma, or heavy flamers, or even the odd power fist etc. Your advice is most welcomed please - here's what I need.

- 10x man Sternguard squad - dedicated to vehicle / daemon / big target destruction, capable of splitting in two smaller squads.

- 10x man Sternguard squad - dedicated to heavy infantry / termi / minor vehicle / misc destruction, capable of splitting in two smaller squads.

I already started making up my Sternguard a few weeks back, currently have 5x combi-plasma marines, a few odd bolter marines, and 2x plasma gun marines (which I know aren't the best choice for stern, but they can be used elsewhere in my army).  I was thinking to have two squads, one mostly combi melta with a plas or two, and one mostly combi-plas with a melta or two, and a heavy flamer to add for taste.  But the question is - how many of what should I really be aiming for to cover everything I could possibly need?

I assume that's combi-melta/flamer.  I've honestly not thought about combi-flamers, and figured that 5-8 meltas were the better option.  Again, thought of the heavy flamer as a one off (heck, one has to model that thing if nothing else!).  20 Sternguard, 3-4 combi-flamers modelled up sound about right ?

Archived