Cypher in CSM

minionboy

Hey everyone! I'm sure I'm not the only one who has read Cypher's rules. But for those who haven't, he's basically 190 points, fires his pistols twice a turn at BS10 and with EW. The really juicy part is ATSKNF, Shrouded, Infiltrate, and Hit and Run...

If your group is like mine (and many others in the US who allow ICs to confir infiltrate), having Cypher infiltrate with a big block of 20 khorne marines who can hit and run and have shrouded... That kind of tickles me.

I too am trying to work out what kind of unit to run Cypher with.

One interesting thing to note, as was just pointed out to me is that if Cypher is within 12" of his Chosen Fallen, they gain ATSKNF.

Though, one thing I just worked out is it is also worth taking VOTLW now on your HQ because Cypher's -1LD on Warlord is offset by the +1 LD of VOTLW.

What about a big old annoying blob of cultists?

Mine does not allow ICs to confer infiltrate, on the basis of the squad not being joined to the character until after deploying, but needing the special rule before deploying to infiltrate in the first place.

Mine does not allow ICs to confer infiltrate, on the basis of the squad not being joined to the character until after deploying, but needing the special rule before deploying to infiltrate in the first place.

I understand some groups don't play the same way, so let's try bit to derail the conversation.

@Icarsun, that's totally right and you'll see that even the CSM special characters have VotLW!

It looks like the formation gives the chosen units infiltrate also...

Yup, the formation is pretty interesting to me. Pricey, though. Cypher's got some neat rules, but they do not come cheap.

Really fluffy, though, I'm not complaining. Just trying to figure out if I like infiltrating scoring chosen w/ black legion huron, or infiltrating, non-scoring, atsknf hit and run chosen w/ cypher. They're both pretty neat.

No gets hot on plasma with BS10 is nasty. Not sure if I'd want to use Cypher but it's nice to have the extra option, just seems odd that he's available to pretty much anybody. That's GW I suppose these days, forget fluff bring anything you darn well please ;)

That's GW I suppose these days, forget fluff bring anything you darn well please msn-wink.gif

Eh, he's always been available for other armies (If not quite this wide of a range) so it makes fluff sense.

He was available to Chaos and Guard previously, so not really fluff justification for him to be available to everyone.

It would be pretty weird for him to join a squad of space marines (the dataslate does mention he has been known to do this when able though), but it does offer some juicy examples where he appears amidst space marine forces and lends his aid. So it fits with the fluff the dataslate presents.

Seems to have mad synergy with Huron and Ahriman though. Kind of makes me regret abandoning my original plans of playing CSM and going DA.

Think about chooser and skulls , the shine of infiltration builds gets a lot smaller then.

I mostly use infiltration as outflank anyway. The people I play usually deploys smart enough to deny me deployment of my infiltratiors even without chooser or skulls, at most I gain 6".

Got's to say, I agree with my man the j. on this - besides hating Rune Priests for their 24" "I'm just a pup, but can dispell psychic powers just like Ahriman" bubble, their whole little 10 point, "no Infiltrate for you within 18 inches, because I have a ravenbot on my shoulder matey" (and oh, "I get +1 BS within LOS" too) drives me crazy.  (Not to mention "Unlimited" range Living Lightning - what, like from Fenris to the Eye of Terror? - or everything about JotWW - though my NM do tend to hop over that particular abomination, so props to my he/she homie Slaanesh for that one.)  But wait, it get's better - take two RP, so that one can give some Long Fangs the "Presience" our guys totally lack.  (I could so, so easily RAGE about this, but don't feel it's my place - I defer to by Brothers and Sisters who try, try and try to play Tzeentch for that.  But every time a so-called "Rune" Priest is gunned down by Chaos, anywhere in the cosmos, I smile.)

Happy Boxing Day - DoF   

Hold on a moment, do WE of CHAOS actually have the FALLEN as an exclusive unit to combine with CYPHER?

On a side note: every time that a Space Wolf somewhere across the time and space dies a horrible death I DO smile! I DO laugh!

Abby doesn't work that way. He makes chosen within his detachment troops, and dataslate formations like the fallen are outside of your the detachment.

I think, anyway.

I agree on the Abandon bit but what about using the Black Legion codex?

ask em what the point of shrikes rule is. Or how you start an IC I need a transportwith a unit. Hint it doesnt and you cant unless you follw the IC rules that say you are able to start the game with a unit.

Actually the rules explicitly permit starting an iC attached to a unit inside a transport. And the logic chain disallowing the Infiltrating shennanigans is pretty unassailable... Shrike is a special case since the wording of his rule specifically mentions him being attahed to a unit.

I still can't believe people bring this up.

Archived