is it worth buying old codecies?

imustbedreamin

Oh, heck, yeah. Read everything you can get your hands on. Because the rules aren't current any more you can buy them for tuppence ha'penny and they're packed with nice stuff. In general each edition improves upon the last, but that doesn't mean the older codexes aren't great for inspiration and fluff. They have little titbits hidden away that don't get covered in later editions and even the fluff you know already will have a fresh spin on it. The tone of each edition is different.

As a note, 3rd Edition codexes don't have much fluff in them and the supplement books like the Dark Angels one have even less. I hold a personal fondness for them because 3rd Edition is my favourite era of 40k, but they're slimline. Absolutely worth it, but they don't have a massive amount of chew.

Old White Dwarves are great too - try the old Index Astartes articles. 

The only old DA Codex I would bother with would be our first one - the joint one with the Blood Angels entitled Codex Angels of Death.

Has a lot of quality fluff in there that has in many cases been repeated, or subtly - or not so subtly - tweaked in subsequent books.

For me Angels of Death is kinda the bible as far as 'modern' DA fluff goes the post some of the pre-second edition silliness.

Just my opinion of course <_<.

Cheers

I

Yeah, in all honesty I didn't see so much difference in the background material between this Codex and the last one.  The most significant differences were in the descriptions of the units and characters, really.

Unless you are a collector or had the codex and lost it due to events in the Warp, I would also suggest having the current one and the Angels of Death thing. The one that was between them is rather less interesting, as new codex contains more background information, and as far as I remember the old one didn't have any facts that are not mentioned in the new one, but I may be mistaken in this matter ;)

- try the old Index Astartes articles. 

THIS!

Great books from a past era in which the WD had tons of fluff just for the hell of it and they actually compiled them in books.

Also the Inquisition ones...don't remember just now the name, one of them had a pic of a Dreadnought in the cover...those are great when you want to "do" some hobbying but don't quite know what...painting? building? Reading? What do I read? They usually help to galvanize your thoughts :)

I would also agree that at this point, you really only need to own Angels of Death and the current DA Codex for fluff, and the IA as a supplement. Everything from the 4th Edition one is in the new book, but a little better worded, depicted and edited, while the 3rd Ed 'Dex basically had almost nothing in it. Very little fluff in there.

For art, it's all great and I still reference 2nd and 3rd Ed images.

I think the previous codex had better fluff than the current. For example read Sammael's entry in both.

The current codex suffers from the entries being template based writing. Ever entry can be broken down as follows:

"It was he who A, B and C. It was he who 1, 2 and 3. And he who XYZ!"

Archived