Vorth Mordrak "the Haunted" and the Third Brotherhood

Grimm Blade

Excellent work Grimm Blade! While I am unfamiliar with this character, I agree no helmet is better. To me that says 'special character'. I also really like the storm bolter force sword. I like the old Grey Knight models and like to see new takes on some of the old stuff.

I'm going be contrarian and tell you to put that helmet back on him.  The head is stretched and left in a very ill-repaired and untended state, which I'd say is unlikely given that he's a Grey Knight (scars and mess of sutures, fine, but no missing face-parts). The expression looks like insane rage rather than holy wrath, which is fitting for Zhufor, but not so much for a Grey Knight.  Also, there's a Khorne symbol carved into the head and that... No, just... no.

Thank you for all of the feedback Brothers.

I agree with you Brother Brazentooth that the Khorne symbol has to go! Mordrak is still WIP, and since I have been deciding on which head to use I have not worked on it yet. The same is true of the Storm bolter barrels, they will be drilled out.

I am thinking that I like the no helmet look more, it really does add A LOT of character to the model and represents Mordrak's wrath and hatred towards Daemons and Huron nicely.

I agree with you Brother Brazentooth that the Khorne symbol has to go! Mordrak is still WIP, and since I have been deciding on which head to use I have not worked on it yet. The same is true of the Storm bolter barrels, they will be drilled out.

I am thinking that I like the no helmet look more, it really does add A LOT of character to the model and represents Mordrak's wrath and hatred towards Daemons and Huron nicely.

Well, it's a free hobby. Just remember: Even if you cover up that Khorne symbol, you'll always know it's there. And deep down... that makes you a heretic. tongue.png

Well, it's a free hobby. Just remember: Even if you cover up that Khorne symbol, you'll always know it's there. And deep down... that makes you a heretic. tongue.png

LOL!!!!! Thank you for the warning Brother. I guess that means that Alaric from the BL novels is also a heretic given that he has a Khorne brand msn-wink.gif

Here is some more work I did on the Librarian's sword. I have finished the runes on both sides of the blade, determined which hands to use, and drilled out the haft of a halberd to use as the hilt of the sword:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/GKTerminators/Grey%20Knights/B1E7D408-8FAC-444A-9704-DCE10D89D0A3_zpsrqustaft.jpg

I have decided to use the Black Templar Sword Brethren models as the primary reference pieces for my GKT Librarian's robes and cloak

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440272a&prodId=prod1160095a

I really like the movement they provide to the models, and their divergence from standard GK robes.

I started to make the plasticard skeletons for the tabard this morning and I am excited about this stage of the conversion yes.gif

Have to ask: how did you make the runes on the force sword? Are they sculpted, or carved plasticard?

They are sculpted, although if you have thin enough plasticard that would probably work too.

Here is some more work on the Librarian. I have added to the victory laurels on the servo skull, and added psycher horns to his personalized buckler shield. The shield will also be used as a cloak pin for the sword brethren style cloak that I am going to sculpt. I have also added horns to his chest heraldry.

You can see the beginnings of the tabbard work below also.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/GKTerminators/Grey%20Knights/3D271887-FFF8-49B0-AD2F-FA0096741845_zpsrpk6vbrc.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/GKTerminators/Grey%20Knights/5B109A34-FF27-4DDE-88FD-E85ACA91B6B0_zpsfw7lfe8f.jpg

C and C welcome.

Put me in the "no helm for Mordrak" camp. I think the uncovered head will set him apart from any other character in your army as well as giving you a strong focal point for figure.

Theoretically, you'll have him surrounded by some soft palette figures (the ghosts), he'll be in cool toned armor, but the eyes will be drawn to the one piece of humanity in the work, which is the skin tones on the unhelmed face.

This is brilliant work.

Wow, never would have thought to combine the deathwing knight with the grey knight terminator torsos like that.  Can we get a side and read shot? 

I am at work, but I will definitely put up the requested pics when I get home.

I think that it makes a nice clean conversion that stays true to standard GK wargear and still manages to distinguish it as that of a Librarian.

Thanks for the side and rear shots Grimm Blade!  Wow, that land raider is just fantastic! The trim in particular is quite nice.  What were the dimensions on the styrene strip you used? The servo skull camera suite is a pretty inspired idea as well.  God, that's just a gorgeous tank- you should be proud of that one. 

This is the inspiration for my next GKT!!!

I sticky tacked the model together last night and I am pretty happy with how the idea translated to the model. I have decided to give my version a bit of a twist. I wanted to incorporate a Purifier/Crowe/Brotherhood Champion feel to the model, so I incorporated a Daemon blade into the conversion. 

You will have to wait until I post pics later tonight or tomorrow to see the model, but I am interested to hear what you think of the concept.

Archived