Characters using Fast Shot with Gun Emplacements?

Lochravin

Gun emplacements and Emplaced Guns: The basic rulebook seems pretty clear that these are two different things.

For instance, emplaced guns can fire automatically where gun emplacements cannot.  In the rules for emplaced guns, page 96 of the basic rulebook, says "all relevant special rules from the firing model and the weapon are used." This seems pretty clear that a character that has Fast Shot can use the Fast Shot skill when firing an emplaced weapon from a building.

However, for gun emplacements, the rules just say "following the normal rules for shooting". This does seem to imply a character using a quad gun from an Aegis Defense Line can, when rolling 6s to hit, use precision hits, because that doesn't seem to conflict with RAW.

The problem is that Fast Shot is used when a character is firing "his weapon", but using an adjacent gun emplacement doesn't seem to make it "his weapon". The rules say a gun emplacement can be fired "instead of his own weapon", which seems to further the argument that a quad gun from the Aegis Defense Line isn't "his weapon" and therefore not subject to Fast Shot. 

I'm thinking that a character can use Fast Shot on an emplaced gun in a building, but not a gun emplacement purchased as part of an Aegis Defence Line. Unfortunately, the rules FAQ does not clear this up, which shocks me.

I'd be interested in your opinions, especially any that can point to clear resolution on this.

Opinions on other forums seem to be mixed, probably no more than 70% agreeing with me, but significant others saying you shouldn't get hung up on the definition of "his weapon" as the main argument against fast shot.

Thanks, Lochravin.

I agree with you that its RAW.

However, It sounds silly either way. I would personally say you either get both or neither and just work it out with your opponent. I'm at that point where I cannot take GW seriously with anything, so if something iffy shows up I just work it out with friends.

Fast shot adds a single additional shot to an Exarchs shooting attacks. When an exarch is firing a weapon hes manning it is effectively his weapon- he knows how to make every shot count, and since shots are an extrapolation, a representation, not literally bullets fired, theres no reason RAW or RAI that I can see that would mean there isnt +1 shot given.

Fast shot would work as well then unless there is some specific wording that says it only works with non-heavy weapons.

ADL can get dirty if you get a Tau Buff Commander attached to a group manning the gun. Cover/Night Fight ignoring Skyfire rounds with Tank/Monster Hunter? Hell, ally in a Skyfire ML Dev team and goto town with 8 TL S7 Un-Jinkable Hunting Shots.

Opinions on other forums seem to be mixed, probably no more than 70% agreeing with me, but significant others saying you shouldn't get hung up on the definition of "his weapon" as the main argument against fast shot.

Really?  Because I have never seen it played this way and have been using similar wording in 2 different versions of my codex over 2 different versions of the main rules.  Other than the occasional guy on the internet, I have never seen it done differently at any store, tournament or club. "Her weapon" = the weapon the model is firing.  Maybe xenos scum are different ;)

Really? Because I have never seen it played this way and have been using similar wording in 2 different versions of my codex over 2 different versions of the main rules. Other than the occasional guy on the internet, I have never seen it done differently at any store, tournament or club. "Her weapon" = the weapon the model is firing. Maybe xenos scum are different msn-wink.gif

This ^^. I've only ever seen this argument on the internet, never in a game. I use Eldar allies quite alot and I've never had anyone dispute whether Fast Shot applies to a gun emplacement or not.

Archived