Blood Angel Titan Hunters

L30n1d4s

Before the advent of Escalation and Superheavies/Titans/Gargants in normal 40K, this unit would have seemed an excessive waste of points on a suicide unit, that is almost guaranteed to die the turn after it arrives.

Now, with 500+ point Lords of War (or even 900 points, in the case of the Revenant Titan), spending this much to take out the center of gravity of your opponent's army is actually reasonable, I think.

What am I talking about here? I am talking about the following combination:

-Dante

-Honor Guard Squad with Jump Packs and 8 Infernus Pistols (dual-wielding for the win).

Now, this unit starts in reserve and then comes in (hopefully turn 2, but turn 4 at the latest) and deep strikes EXACTLY 1" from the rear armor of the enemy Superheavy/Titan etc. using Dante's ability to not scatter when DSing. For most Super Heavy vehicles, that rear armor is AV12, and for the Eldar Titan, it is actually AV10!

It then unleashes 9 Infernus shots (one of which is BS5, from Dante), on average getting 6-7 hits. Of these hits, about 6 of them should penetrate, causing 6 lost HPs immediately.... of the penetrating hits, half should cause Explodes results (thanks to AP1), meaning that you should get an additional 3 X D3 HPs lost, which means a minimum of 9 Hull Points lost and an average of 12 HPs lost...more than enough to one shot that Super Heavy Lord of War ;)

Now, the Revenant Titan is a little different, due to Holo-fields....after taking the Holofield saves, this unit would only get an average of 4 hits that got through. However, because it is against AV10 with Melta, it is basically guaranteed that everyone of these hits becomes a penetrating hit. 4 Penetrating hits takes of 4 HPs right of the bat, then adding an average of 4 more (2 x D3 ) from Explodes results.... that means the Revenant is down to 1 HP left, provided it didn't lose any earlier in the game... the rest of your army ought to be able to get at least one glancing hit through against AV12, finishing the Titan off and taking 900 points of your opponent's army off the battlefield.

Now, the downsides of this tactic are the expense of the unit (Dante + HG + JPs + 8 Infernus Pistols is NOT cheap, coming in at just over 500 points) and the fact that it is almost certain to die after executing its mission, either from the Super-heavy's catostrophic explosion or from your angry opponent's return fire the next round.

That said, if you are able to decisively eliminate the lynchpin of your opponent's army (kind of like taking his Queen in chess), you should be able to shift the overall tide of battle in your favor with your remainig forces (heaven forbid you have your own Super-Heavy to use ;) !!!)

One other advantage of this unit is that it can safely deep strike inside the perimeter of Void Shield generators, thereby bypassing any protection they would give to the Super Heavy unit.

Also, this unit can be used to deep strike in and destroy enemy fortifications, especially Aquila Strongpoints with macro-Cannons/Vortex missiles, if that is required, thereby eliminating that D-weapon threat to the rest of your army (and giving you the advantage, if you have D weapons of your own).

Or do the same with a drop pod and 4 combi melta/1 melta sternguard?

Giving up slay the warlord and 500pts. I dunno.

Its like taking your opponents queen in chess, by sacrificing your own queen.

I'd rather win my games by killing more of my opponent then they do of me.

What I suggested in the Escalation thread was 10 SG, drop pod, 2 melta, 8 combi melta. 345pts, and more melta than you currently have.

Place the pod 1" from the enemy superheavy, and all but a direct 8+" scatter away will see you within 1".

What I suggested in the Escalation thread was 10 SG, drop pod, 2 melta, 8 combi melta. 345pts, and more melta than you currently have.

Place the pod 1" from the enemy superheavy, and all but a direct 8+" scatter away will see you within 1".

this smile.png and if you really need you could add a librarian with combi melta, divination to a 9 man sternguard with 2 melta guns, 7 combi meltas in a drop pod to reroll all the misses.

this smile.png and if you really need you could add a librarian with combi melta, divination to a 9 man sternguard with 2 melta guns, 7 combi meltas in a drop pod to reroll all the misses.

Cant use divination turn you come in sadly.

Q:
Blessings
are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement
phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves
rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)
A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose
turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per
page 9 of the
Warhammer 40,000
rulebook.

If I'm not mistaken, all you'd have to do is resolve the deepstrike before the psychic test.

Archived