End of the Year War Stories

SvenONE

So the year draws to a close this evening and I'm sure it's been an exciting year in the hobby for some, our codex approaches its 1st birthday.  I'd ask everyone to recall any tales of heroism in the name of the Lion out there on the battlefield.  Perhaps a heroic melta gunner, a triumphant commander, a lone sergeant, or a solemn tale of heroes lost.

This year for me included:

• A plasmagunner putting a shot through the cockpit of a stormraven and damaging a nearby enemy squad to half strength.
  • Sammael barely escaping (1 wound left) 2 squads of DE Wyches (almost 60+ attacks!!!)
  • Losing 3 DWKs to Necron Immortals on overwatch
  • Every time Ezekiel successfully landed a mind worm
  • Ezekiel perilsing himself to death off a mindworm!
  • Belial putting a wound on a riptide and causing him to flee off the table (with SoS!!)
  • Belial chaining across the table to wipe out 2 Necron warrior blobs
  • A lone remaining scout holding an objective and Belial by himself behind enemy lines for a linebreaker 1 point victory.
  • A non scattered Land Speeder Vengeance large blast over a BA assault squad
  • Being utterly destroyed by the 3rd turn vs a Karamazov Grey Knights list (2K points)
  • An exploding darkshroud giving up first blood killing 3/5 of my nearby command squad (banner included)

One of mine actually came on the eve of 2013 ending 

5 Deathwing Knights taking on and finishing a wraithknight with a mighty smite attack, then clearing the eldar pathfinders squad before manning the quad gun behind a defense line to take down a Hemlock flyer

another one would be my Nephilim taking down a razorwing then a second which crashes into the ground wiping out the remeants of unit of wracks 

I was playing against a local Tau player, who is rather new, but has kind of a big head about how "bad-ass" his gunline is.

He deep-struck his Broadsides in a pretty bad spot, made the hit to stick, and was gloating about his wonderful positioning, obviously forgetting that my Mortis Contemptors had not only clear LoS, but failed to keep his shield drones between them.

(2) Las Cannons and a CML from each of them, and the pair of broadsides were smoking ruins.

Space Commy Laser Jelly

:D

Paul

How in the blue blazing balls did he deep strike Broadsides?

Back on topic.

~ 5man DWK squad charged Thunderwolf Cav with a Beatstick lord. Beatstick lord is the only one left after I4 Smite attacks. Next few turns he slowly kills off the remaining DWK. Endgame the Beater Lord loses his last wound to a Rhino SB.

~ Black Knights dismantled a Riptide turn 2, then was charged by a second on turn 3. Tau forgot I had a spare warp charge and had his ruin smote upon the table top.

~ Grounded 2 Nurgle Daemon Princes and Bel'kalor (sp?) on Turn 2, manged to mangle one of the DP once he's grounded. Lost my Librarian, White Scar Captain, and 6man BK squad when he rolled 'Errhm' on Hallucinate, allowing 3 DP to beat them all senseless and me not able to do anything for 2 full rounds of combat. (f***ing seriously?!) One unit of Plaguebearers kept mishapping back into reserves before finally mishapping to the far end of the table. Despite the fact that he had shrouded and atypically a 2+ cover save he still kept taking unsaved wounds. When the 3 Sternguard I had left fired Dragonfire rounds at Bel'kalor (the Dataslate demon) my opponent remarked "Dragonfire rounds? Nobody uses those things!" Only to lose his Demon Prince to, yup, Dragonfire Rounds! Ultimately lost the game because I didn't move my last tactical squad up to grab the relic, but it was a really fun game nontheless.

~ Beat an Orc Player turn 2. Battle Mission: All around defence (?). Only thing he could start with on the table was a Firestorm Redoubt and a squad of lootas. Turn one see the redoubt suffer catastrophic collapse courtesy of the Melta Gun RWAS after the Loota squad is murdered by the flamer RWAS. Despite him being tabled we went ahead and played the game out. (Which I think I still went on to win regardless) Also kept hit n' running Gaz'kull, which was amusing (and kept him from charging, yeesh!)

~ Lost an entire RWCS and Sammael to loota Shooting... in one round of loota shooting... f****ing Orks.

~ *Insert horror stories involving Prescienced, Perfect Timing Plasma Cannon Deathdealer squads here*

~ Librarian w/ PFG rode in the center of a 5 strong Typhoon squad. ended up with a grand total of 54 wounds on a single squad of Sisters of Battle. Mathhammer ftw!

~ Dark Lance shoots my 4++ Deathwing Crusader on turn one, game 1 of a Tourney. Pens. Fail 4++. Rolls 6 on Pen chart. Vernerable. Rolls 6 again on Pen chart. Rolls 6" explosion... all my bikes were packed around it. Thank fully I lost none of them.

~ Before the new codex for Sisters came out, my Librarian killed the Resurrecting Saint... 3 times. The third time she didn't get back up and the game ended. That VP ended up winning me the battle.

Those are the ones that stick out in my mind the most.

~I had a squad of scouts hold up 2 ten man plasma dark angel squad and a librarian for two turns.  My opponent thought that shooting the squad would work better then charging in, and well, between going to ground, camo cloaks, and a whole shoot ton of lucky dice rolls, the 5 scouts gave me time to grab the relic and hide.  I won the game with 1 tactical marine left on the board!

1.- A lone hammenator charges a riptide...surrounded by an apoca team and 3 FW squads.

Defensive fire of FW squad 1 (yeah, not models, unit! got shafted there...)... saved.

Defensive fire of FW squad 2...saved

Defensive fire of Apocas... saved

Defensive fire of riptide...saved

Defensive fire of FW squad 3...1 unsaved wound.

The opponent was sweating, swearing and cursing...while I was laughing out loud (it had been a terrible game regarding my opponents behaviour and cheating).

This allowed 5 terminators to charge his Ethreal and 2 FW units without defensive fire, which resulted in me getting warlord, linebreaker and devastating his backfield.

2.- In this same game, turn 5, I was closing the game and the relic was under a riptide, unclaimed.

Libby charges the riptide and the conversation went something like this:

- Strength?

- regular dude, S4

- bwhahahaha you'll need 6s to wound me

- (silent)...just you don't roll any 1s

To hit, to wound... 2 wounds...he misses 1...LD check, psi weapon does ID and he looks in shock.

- Now, go and learn how to be a sport...you just lost by 1 point...I'm terribly sorry...

(Karma sometimes DOES give you these situations!)

3.-

Mawloc DS in front of my objective hugging scouts.

5 RWBK outflank...-1T, rapid fire plasma talons, no Mawloc left

Next turn, another Mawloc arrives...like 40" away from the RWBK hahahaha

4.-

Tervigon assaults full tactical squad (just a melta)

He wiffs, I use grenades, deal 3 wounds...he stares at the table!

4 combat rounds after, the tervigon actually manages to kill the squad, having only 1 wound left... and spends 2 turns RUNNING AWAY from me no to concede another anihilation point!

"Be a man, come to the fight...you cowardly bug!"

5.-

IG, bases, he has his base semicovered with 2 units (small opening)

- I'm gonna roll the defensive vs that terminator when you charge!!!!

- Why should I charge? I don't want to kill you...only need to contest!

Terminator fails to reach with running move, but a lone bike moves, flat out and just barely contests

6.-

Same game, a vendeta drops 10 guys in my base and they run to hug my base.

A 1HP left whirlwind tankshocks the unit, he fails leadership, runs away.

My 1 remaining scout trods along, touches the base and calls it a game.

You gotta love nice smooth games, luck and staying focused!

Archived