Cypher

Theduke08

Greetings brothers!

Has anyone considered including Cypher in one of their army lists?  Im thinking about putting him in a big 15 man unit of dead company with bolters in some terrain in the middle of the board and watching someone try to move them.  

Um... not to intrude on your topic brother but... are you sure you posted this in the right subforum? I think you might be wanting to ask the Dark Angels...

(Although I could be wrong, it's happened before. ;) )

Some of us don't have the Cypher data slate, so what does he actually bring in terms of buffs or benefits? On the basis of not knowing what he does, I'd be reticent to put anything static with a unit of Death Company (given that they should nearly always be engaging your enemy in HtH), and expect the DC to do the same.

Happy to be enlightened as he's a great character :)

Basically the deal with cypher is that he grants a unit infiltratre, has eternal warrior, WS7, and BS10. Whats even funnier is that he can use his two pistols in CC so half of his attacks are at S4 AP5 and the other half at S7 AP2.

I don't think that he can lead a unit of DC though as I don't think he has a good enough ally relationship with anything outside of C:CSM.

Off the top of my head he grants infiltrate, shrouded and hit and run as an independent character.  He also has BS 10 and fires his pistols at full BS in overwatch and also can shoot them in CC meaning S7 I8 AP2 pistol shots in CC.  

In the data slate it says he can be in SM, BA, SW, GK etc.  Basically any flavor of space marine besides dark angels and he doesnt count as an ally meaning he can ride in our transports too.

Off the top of my head he grants infiltrate, shrouded and hit and run as an independent character.  He also has BS 10 and fires his pistols at full BS in overwatch and also can shoot them in CC meaning S7 I8 AP2 pistol shots in CC.  

In the data slate it says he can be in SM, BA, SW, GK etc.  Basically any flavor of space marine besides dark angels and he doesnt count as an ally meaning he can ride in our transports too.

The big thing I'd add is that he causes your warlord to suffer -1 to leadership.

Lord Cypher can't be your warlord, but he is part of your main detachment and doesn't take up a HQ slot.

While I understand that Meph and a basic libby are dependent on ld10 why is Tycho?  The only reason that i posted this is that he is a unique character and could bring a little fun to the table top.  Of course he isnt going to make us more competitive but i do think he is fun.

Oh, I think he will be really fun, loads of neat little special rules that we don't have access to. Using a Reclusiarch as HQ would prolly be the best bet.  I have an old Cypher model knocking round somewhere (minus back pack) so I will be giving him a go for sure.

I usually only go with a Reclusiarch as my main HQ. So this is sounding like music to my ears.

Still though, which unit would one pair to Cypher?

The big thing I'd add is that he causes your warlord to suffer -1 to leadership.

Lord Cypher can't be your warlord, but he is part of your main detachment and doesn't take up a HQ slot.

One more thing, if he dies and there isn't an enemy near him (D6 inches) he "escapes" and doesn't give VP.

You cannot infiltrate Cypher with a squad thatdoesnt have the infiltrate rule themselves, unless your club/friends house rule it otherwise, as you have to deploy the DC unit before you deploy Cypher.

You are perfectly able to put them all in reserve and have them outflank, however.

The best thing is Cypher unlocks Chaos Chosen (Fallen) who have ATSKNF when he is nearby, and can have 5 plasma/meltaguns to a squad.

Archived