FMC and tank shock

Garath

Before you call me a power gamer...

There's a guy, packing like 6 of these in his deamon list. And keeps hiding them behind buildings- even when they fly.

He has to be stopped.

Anyway, here's the rules question:

A tank cannot tank shock a flier -got it. There isn't any mention about not being able to tank shock a FMC (tho some reason would imply it). Since that same reason would imply that a FMC cannot hide behind a building- I'm gonna take the higher morale ground herewhistlingW.gif

What happens if that FMC is tank shocked? Clearly the tank can tank shock within 1" of it- then it has to move aside.

Furthermore, does the FMC get destroyed if it fails a landing test in the following shooting phase and has to land within an inch of the tank in question?

I't not like i'm gonna use this stuff- but since FMC are really one dimensional, hard to destroy and easy to use- this could potentially kill that build.

Comments?

You may tank shock a Flying Monstrous Creature while it is swooping.

It may step aside (moving out of the way if you stop on top of it) or Death or Glory, as normal.

Since it's stepped aside, if it gets shot down then it just takes a wound, as normal.

Overall, a generally useless tactic except with empty, gunless rhinos.

I can tank shock FMC for real...but that's crazy!!!

So i drop a 5 man tac squad behind it and tank shock with my LR     -      dead!!!

This again?  It just moves out of the way even if that move is behind the LR that tank shocked it.  Shortest distance possible; if it is not possible to move backwards or to the side then it moves forward. Thanks for the free 8" move!

UNless that then brings it into rapid fire range for you to try to down it then charge it? or just get it out of cover and into los... BEing able to move your enemies units is never a bad thing...

None of which refers to official rules...

Yea, all you're doing is giving the FMC a big free move toward your lines. That's the worst kind of stupid tactic one could use. msn-wink.gif

Ok, maybe I'm reading this wrong...

"If some enemy models in the enemy unit would end up

underneath the vehicle when it reaches its final position (it
makes no difference whether the unit is falling back or not))
these models must be moved out of the way by the shortest
distance, leaving at least I" between them and the vehicle ,whilst
maintaining unit coherency and staying on the board. Any
models that cannot manage this are crushed and removed from
play as casualties"
Procedure:
1.positon a few models to surround MC
2.tank shock so it ends beneath the tank's final postiton
3.Death or Glory ?
4 .Since it cannot move away...
See that last part about leaving a 1" gap?

You don't count the tank that is on top of the model when looking for the 1" gap.  Otherwise there would never be a 1" gap since no matter which direct you went there would be a zero inch gap between the tank and the model beneath it.  That space the tank just moved out of will do just fine if it is the closest open spot.

You don't count the tank that is on top of the model when looking for the 1" gap.  Otherwise there would never be a 1" gap since no matter which direct you went there would be a zero inch gap between the tank and the model beneath it.  That space the tank just moved out of will do just fine if it is the closest open spot.

But you do.  As soon as the tank comes into contac with the enemy model, it stops and the opponent decides to move away or do a DoG attack.

Then ,if the MC in question wants to move there has to be a gap between it and the tank (by moving back an inch, the left or right) .

It must also keep an inch distance to the squad .

Only after all this does the tank continue to move and finish it's tank shock....

No, that's not at all how it works. The tank makes contact, at which point a Morale Test is taken. If passed, then it can Death or Glory or not, and if failed it falls back. Then the tank continues and finishes its move. If you stopped in base contact, then the FMC doesn't move at all and gets to strike the tank in CC. If it ends up on top of it, only then does the FMC move out of the way by the shortest distance, and this is in any direction that he can go. Here's a picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/veritas117/move.jpg

One of those two yellow arrows is "the shortest distance" by which a model must be moved out of the way. FMC doesn't die, and failed tactic completes.

No, that's not at all how it works. The tank makes contact, at which point a Morale Test is taken. If passed, then it can Death or Glory or not, and if failed it falls back. Then the tank continues and finishes its move. If you stopped in base contact, then the FMC doesn't move at all and gets to strike the tank in CC. If it ends up on top of it, only then does the FMC move out of the way by the shortest distance, and this is in any direction that he can go. Here's a picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/veritas117/move.jpg

One of those two yellow arrows is "the shortest distance" by which a model must be moved out of the way. FMC doesn't die, and failed tactic completes.

And the part about keeping a 1" distance?

You're not getting it. The FMC moves out of the way. Any way, including through the vehicle. The vehicle, which has stopped, provides a definitive point to measure from. So, you move the FMC the shortest distance (including through the vehicle) until it's 1" away from enemy models. As you can see, there are many places it can go, if necessary. The absolutely only way this tactic would ever work is if the FMC and tank are 1" away already, and both models are closely surrounded by your guys, as that is the only way to make sure there's nowhere for the FMC to go.

BRB FAQ page 6:

Q: Can a vehicle Tank Shock a Swooping Flying Monstrous Creature? (p49)

A: No. If a Swooping Flying Monstrous Creature would end up underneath the Tank Shocking vehicle when it reaches its final position, move it by shortest distance so that it is 1" away from the vehicle.

So you can't tank shock a FMC at all.

I'm not going to push this as the situation wil hardly ever happen...

You're not getting it. The FMC moves out of the way. Any way, including through the vehicle. The vehicle, which has stopped, provides a definitive point to measure from. So, you move the FMC the shortest distance (including through the vehicle) until it's 1" away from enemy models. As you can see, there are many places it can go, if necessary. The absolutely only way this tactic would ever work is if the FMC and tank are 1" away already, and both models are closely surrounded by your guys, as that is the only way to make sure there's nowhere for the FMC to go.

The point here is that a model cannot ever move through anohter model , unless it's tanke shocking. Even then, you move the models away from the vechicle as it reaches them.

And we are both wrong  to seek any logic in a game that claims that a Flying 5 ton bug is equally hard to hit as a jet fighter.

I'll just make my gaming life easier and do my very best that this never arises.   Thanks for the replies guys

Raeven, you do not need to move your guy if he's within 1". The vehicle can stop within 1" (but then it won't actually TS), and it can end in BTB (at which point the MC gets to attack it in the close combat phase), and in either case the MC does not need to move away.

Only if it ends up underneath it does it move. ;)

Because the tank shock is resolved once its in btb, not 1" away, otherwise you never tank shocked or could hit it with a cc weapon. You're adding rules that don't exist. It says nothing about staying 1" away. 1" away from the vehicle is not underneath it, is it? ;)

I think its written quite clear, if a bit illogical.

Archived