Ravenwing Banner and attached Allies

3DJutsu

The banner states "Any friendly Ravenwing unit within X" of this banner automatically passes its Initiative test when attempting to Hit & Run".

So when my Black Knights auto-pass their H&R test, would the Allied WS Chapter Master attached to them come with them? What about an attached Dark Angel techmarine?

You both should go back and read the hit and run rules (BRB 38).

The very first sentence is... "a unit that contains at least one model..."

• Sammie attached to an assault squad, all models get H&R.
  • RWBK with attached WS bike captain, all models gets H&R.
  • RWAS with attached DA techmarine, all models gets H&R.
Now if the units were not attached prior to entering CC then yes the group with H&R would leave CC and the group without H&R would stay.

As to the banner it affects the unit, which includes all attached models. So 2 and 3 are RW units with attached IC, and therefore would be affected.

1 is less clear cut to me, but I would allow it if my opponent asked for it and wouldn't argue if they said I couldn't.

(unless it was the same game).

** On a side note, would Sammie give skilled rider to the assault squad? Meaning they could jump in and out of terrain with impunity.

Yes, characters cannot split from units for any reason other than the normal one (i.e. you choose to do so in the movement phase).  Unlike 5E, 6E was written to be inclusive regarding special rules; particularly in regard to characters, meaning that characters do not quash rules, and rules the characters themselves have are shared with a unit they join.  In this case, you have a Ravenwing unit joined by two characters, neither of which are Ravenwing.  Is the unit no longer a Ravenwing unit then?  Nope, it still is.  The two characters simply are a part of the Ravenwing unit now (even though they are not Ravenwing), and so can take advantage of the banner along with the rest of the Ravenwing unit.  If either of the characters leave the Ravenwing unit they will of course no longer gain any benefit of the banner, they not being considered to be a Ravenwing unit when on their own.

Right right, they an only join or leave in the movement phase. So I guess they would H&R when the Ravenwing auto-passes their test.

Nice, cheers mates.

I might be stating the obvios here, but:

Hit and run

"A unit  that  contains at  least  one model

with  this  special rule  that  is locked  in
combat can choose  to leave  close  combat
at  the  end of any  Assault  phase" 

Since an ICs join the unit- they all Hit and run together

The problem Garath is not the fact that can he hit and run or not. He can .

The problem is the fact that the banner allow to pass automatically the I test for the RW models and only for them... So the question is : if there's a WS captain inside the squad, does he profit from the auto pass bonus or does he nullify the banner effect?

Exactly. You need to consider what constitues a 'Ravenwing unit' when there's non Ravenwing models attached.

By RAW I'd still say yes it still is a Ravenwing unit - albeit one that contains non-RW models. If the banner says 'RW units' (don't have Codex with me to check) and doesn't specifically mention individual models, I'd say you were good to go.

Cheers

I

I'm with Isiah, the unit is still an RW unit, he just happens to be along.  I think a similar situation would be if two units in assault have their two ICs in a challenge, the unit that loses combat (and assuming subsequently fails their LD test) would fall back, that includes the losing IC in the challenge as well, assuming he wasnt killed.  He doesn't get stuck there as he's part of the unit.

The fearless USR applies in similar fashion.  Necron Wraiths for instance have fearless but might be running with a Destroyer Lord (not fearless), if they lose combat they still autopass their LD check, the Destroyer Lord doesn't take a test or fail on his own.

Well the difference in your example is that by RAW all models in a unit have Fearless if one model present has it. The RW banner issue is slightly different.

But we agree on the overall result :yes:

Cheers

I

The problem Garath is not the fact that can he hit and run or not. He can .

The problem is the fact that the banner allow to pass automatically the I test for the RW models and only for them... So the question is : if there's a WS captain inside the squad, does he profit from the auto pass bonus or does he nullify the banner effect?

You are reading "Ravenwing models" when what it says is "Ravenwing units".  One would assume that the writers very specifically wrote it as "units" because they know that various RW units can be joined by a non-RW characters, and they would not want a situation where a unit ends up having to split up in such a way that is not allowed for in the game rules.

Archived