Deathwing, Greenwing and ... Wolfwing?

Frater Cornelius

Hey lads!

So, after quite a while I decided that it would be time to cross unfamiliar waters with the ships of my Lost Company of Space Wolves and take a stab at the Dark Angels Codex.

I got to admit, I LOVE Terminators, especially those Deathwing Knights. It fits my Company so well. I use a lot of DA bitz and aesthetical cues like robes on my Space Wolves and their Battlesuits (my Tau counts-as) to give them than knightly and monastic feel that I like so much in addition to the usual SW look and feel.

The problem was, that I dislike buying too many armies since models would be gathering dust.. and I hate when models gather dust. Now, as I have pretty much completed my SW army as I like it and well under way with my Tau, I realised that I barely use my Terminators.

My question is, what models do I need to get for Deathwing and Greenwing (or a mix)? I have Belial (my Arjac), a Venerable Dread (my Björn), TDA Librarians (Rune Priests), TDA Chaplain (Wolf Priests) 20-some Terminators in various forms, going to get Knights, some Termies could easily be the Command Squad. On the Greenwing side I have Librarians, Chaplains, all my Grey Hunters and Bloodclaws and Long Fangs, a lot of 3+ bodies and I think I have an Azrael somewhere. I do not own a single LR, as I do not like them very much and I am not a big fan of bikes or speeders. Are they mandatory in those builds?

As for allies, I know Tau fire support for a DW army will be amazing and largely eliminate the need for backfield units.

But what about SW allies? On paper, it looks solid with SW drop podding and throwing around jaws while DW arrive first turn to put up additional pressure. I will relegate Divination needs to my Inquisitors (Inq. Detachment) as they are Battle Brothers with both SW and DA and won't trigger runic weapons. In addition, Servo-Skulls will reduce scatter-distance for pods and DW and ensure a successful alpha-strike while the Thunderwolf Cav charges up field.

Thoughts and tips? Everything will be much appreciated!

Truth be told the only thing you need for a Deathwing list would be Belial and Terminators. Greenwing is much the same, just take Tac Squads and what you want. Truth be told Dark Angels are pretty straightforward when building an army.  

That being said, I don't think it's a good idea to Deepstrike Deathwing Knights. They don't have any ranged attack so the turn they deepstrike they'll just be sitting ducks. It's not that you can't deepstrike them, I just think Land Raiders are really good for them. 

Deepstriking ranged Terminators though is pretty great, I would suggest putting Belial with a Deepstriking unit as not scattering is wonderful. I'm not sure if Space Wolves can take it, but Cyclone Missile Launchers are pretty good on Terminators, additionally Dark Angels exclusively get Plasma Cannons on their Terminators if that interests you. 

I wish I could help with allies, but I've only played mono-armies. 

Thanks for the comment.

I have two spare TDA legs and chest pieces, so I can build myself a PC TDA once I get the Knight box. Other than that I have all the heavy weapons that DW could get for themselves.

I agree that DWK are inferior when DS (though they can still run, HA! That'll show 'em), but getting a Land Raider would totally mess up my Company ethos and feel I am going for in the end (mainly Infantry, light transports and alternate movement like pods, deep striking, outflanking or infiltrating). One Land Raider might be okay as a defacto flag ship, one venerable heavy vehicle for those heavy duty jobs, but I heard that LR work best in pairs. Also they cost a lot (in terms of € and points), not leaving much room for allies (which I like taking every now'n'again).

In the end, I am hoping that deep striking DWK and not scattering far/at all with help of the Servo-Skulls and running them into position will work out with increased target saturation with all the other DW coming down as well as drop pods with GH or the Tau threat standing back on my end ready to shoot some stuff.

Archived