Nephilim Jetfighter overcosted

Larhendiel

I am desperately searching ways to deal with night scythes and those AP1 templates of doom from necrons and I was reading about our one of two flyers to see if I could use it, what struck me is that we have a special rule called missile lock, so I opened brb to find out what it does, it makes template weapons scatter only d6" but when I browsed through gear options for Nepilim I find no template weapons aviable!
We probably pay for a rule that is completely wasted on us!

Three words: Forge World Mortis.

And it fits in with our tradition of getting shafted with our codex.

At least this time its limited to just a few models.

Back in the original 3rd edition codex we had an army-wide rule that could be quite hindering.

Allies. Tau have loads of Intercept units, Imperial Guard have Vendettas and Hydras, Space Marines get their Stalkers. You yourself have Flak Missles.

I would also recommend the Mortis Contemptor, as mentioned above, really nice unit, albeit rather expensive. There's also the Land Raider Helios, FW gun batteries (for what they are called, it's 3-4 gun emplacements with different weapons that take up a FA slot) and the anti-air Whirlwind.

I've decided to go down the allies route to get some hardcore AA.  If fielding everything AA, I will have:

1 Fire Raptor (will probably be painted as 30k DAs)

1 Stalker / Hunter

1 Storm Raven

2 Storm Talons

Also opens up the option of Centurions.  Love them or hate them, their grav weapons hurt.  A lot.

In the FAQ it states to ignore the Missile Lock rules and it doesn't mention any point decrease. I don't think we're paying for a special rule we can't use, I just think the codex was really rushed. 

As far as dealing with fliers, the above suggestions are pretty good. Dark Angels can use Dev. Squads with Flakk and a Quad Gun, but other than that we're a bit lacking on AA in our codex.

I know quad gun works wonders but the thing is, these fliers are AV13! I probably go allise with Hunter with skyspear AV12 tank should survive first turn of S7 salvos. Has any one of you got any idea how to deal with deathmarks with attached cryptek? Two of these units come down and execute two of my crucial units quite often. Out of about 15 times we played I won by one point only twice against this guy, and one of these times was when I took deva banner and 3 land raiders

One more oddity, I was thinking of deep striking Deathwing knights, attaching sammael to them close to enemy position, hit&run and counter attack, I was thinking that having Sammy with T6 would be hilarious, but then on p.45 it say it increases T by one, whereas on last unfoldable page it states that it grants T5..........

Yes it's overcosted and not that great of a unit (relative to other 6th Ed. fliers).

But as others have said your options (in codex) are:

ADL Quad Gun

Contemptor Mortis (FW is legal!!)

Out of Codex:

Stormwing Formation

Tau Allies

IG Allies

C:SM Allies

you can also get Valkyrie for the cost of 152 max with inquistion (12 points for 3 models inside it or take more if u want). If your only doing it for a flier to take down other fliers I think its the way to go before allying with IG or dirty things like tau. I'm a fan of ADL. stick a dev squad w/ flakk missles and lib librarian in an ADL and watch the fliers die.

I know quad gun works wonders but the thing is, these fliers are AV13! I probably go allise with Hunter with skyspear AV12 tank should survive first turn of S7 salvos. Has any one of you got any idea how to deal with deathmarks with attached cryptek? Two of these units come down and execute two of my crucial units quite often. Out of about 15 times we played I won by one point only twice against this guy, and one of these times was when I took deva banner and 3 land raiders

None of the Necron Flyers are AV13 that i know of. You sure he's not cheating on you? Cuz Necron flyers can't be upgraded you know. Comes with whatever it comes with, and it doesn't have the quantum shielding i think? the upgrade that makes necron barges AV13, which is not on Necron flyers, nor can be taken as upgrades for flyers, that i know of.

da wut!?
I just checked it myself and yes I have been cheated, night scythe has not quantum shielding!
I don't have allies yet but I want to add Iron Hands for it will not die, feel no pain chapter master on a bike hunter/centurion squad. I will do them but first I want to paint what I have now. We don't play yet on Forgeworld, my current club despise it as a synonim of power gamers, nowadays we even often play by unsaid rule that no unit should repeat itself more than three times on a board. So I hardly ever see even resemblance of a spam armies. It makes it much more enjoyable as there is no longer paper scissors scenarios.

Really, they are playing Croissant Wing, cheatin' to boot, and then hating on FW as "power gaming"? Pot, meet kettle. Three times repeats in a single army is spam.

The Nephilim is not that great a flyer, and it appears that the hopes that other fliers would be brought down to its level have been in vain. :(

@ Lord Sesslec... yes... it's a nice diplay model... it looks good on your shelf...

Do yourself a favour and buy Imperial Armour volume 2 second edition...

@ Larhendiel... soon GW and FW will merge their sites and GW will sell FW models through normal GW mail order... If your friends dont accept FW tell them that you dont accept necron flyers... If they ask why tell them... If you dont accept a GW legal entry for my codex (FW IS GW just a division of the main company) then i am free to not accept a legal entry of your codex... period...

Thank you brothers, thank you Master Sheol, this is good argument and I will use it as I would love myself to use several things besides Mortis dreadnought, Caestus ram for terminators etc. MayorDaley, in which imperial armour do I find these nasty weapons you have mentioned?

@marvmoogy... yes you are right about the nephilim being a good strafing flyer against light infantries but... it is a dogfighter according to the BG...

The support flyers should be the DT... but unfornately it has just a one use bomb, a Amazing cannon that is just an oversized flashlight and a battery of hurricane bolters that can be useful only if a RWCS run under the body of a DT with the SoD...

It's a matter of fact that the design of the DA codex was rushed and incomplete... we must accept that GW at the fast pace of releases they are keeping are not able to even FAQ the bad things in our codex... We have only the FW IA weapon to boost our limited AA abilities...

@ Larhendiel... you can find all things in "Imperial Armour volume 2 (warmachines of the Adeptus Astartes) second edition...

Archived