A couple of questions from a new player

mitch_lion

1. i would like to use both sternguard and vanguard as i love the models, would it be fluffy if a dark angels succesor used the space marine codex? as i dont want to use the space marine codex just ally them to my angels

1.i would like to build a death wing force but cant paint the bone colour for the life of me, is their much information on how other successors run their "deathwing" and what terminator models would be suitable ( the succesor im thinking of is sons of caliban)

Most of the successor chapters paint thier Terminator armor the same color scheme as thier power armor.

As for the vanguard and sternguard, you can use the models as a company veterans squad, OR you can use the ally matrix to ally in some 'vanilla' Space Marines.  The Dark Angel successors pretty much go by the same organization as the Dark Angels themselves (at least by the fluff, which is what you asked about).

I agree with Johny on this one. Just ally guys in. I also like Sternguard and Vanguard however the one thing I loved about Vanguard (the deepstrike and charge rule) is gone so I just stick with Assault Squads now. Sternguard get the special ammo which is awesome but I've noticed they don't live long as everyone must remove them from the board. Regular bolt guns do surprisingly well I've found. Admittedly I don't play against uber tough opponents who are awesome but if you can get a double tap on some squads without cover Bolt Guns can lay the hurt. Add the nice banner of devastation and you have the ability remove anybody.

If you heart is set on Sternguard and Vanguard then Ally them in paint them in your DA colors and tell your opponent they are DA who trained with a few C:SM chapter for awhile and picked up their specialties. Or that they just are DA period. Allying in Space Marines with other space marines is a lot more feasible to me than some of the allies out there today. Tau with Draigo etc drive me a bit nuts. Imp Guard with Space Marines also makes sense. Imp Guard with Dark Eldar would need a seriously good story to make it fit in my mind but I'd still play the person.

As for terminators I picked up Disciples of Caliban because I hate painting bone as well plus I liked the Disciples fluff (very little of it) so I painted them up and like the look of my entire army being the same color.

Some people are very strict some aren't just understand if you are playing because you love the units or just want the most powerful build you can come up with and be clear at the beginning with your opponent. Don't claim to be a "for fun" player and then lay down the uber Tau of Doom that has Six Riptides in it.

1. i would like to use both sternguard and vanguard as i love the models, would it be fluffy if a dark angels succesor used the space marine codex? as i dont want to use the space marine codex just ally them to my angels

1.i would like to build a death wing force but cant paint the bone colour for the life of me, is their much information on how other successors run their "deathwing" and what terminator models would be suitable ( the succesor im thinking of is sons of caliban)

1. As said you can use the models as company vets. Usually running A Unforgiven Chapter with SM codex is frowned upon because it can be misleading to the opponent.  Still it's not unheard of. My personal experience ... I tried to do it but switched back to DA Codex... something didn't feel right.

2. DA Sucessors cant use any mark of terminator armour... usually the older the better ;) As for colours the clours of the 1st Co ar the same as the Chapter.. to the best of our knowledge only DA Chapter has different colours from company to company.

Qute:

I can give you an easy way to paint DW bone color that's easy and looks ok if you'd like

Another option allowed by the rules : one can use DA, ally them with SM, and paint his SM as DA. (with different marks to recognize what is DA and what is SM)

Like a Ultramarines 1st company using Death Wing rules (an all-Blue Terminators army using Death Wing rules, as seen in a White Dwarf, this dates!).

Caution nuke.gif : Looks like power play, not for everyone, or against everyone, for some or most folks might even not follow the spirit of the game. If you think about choosing this, ever, scan the players in your area, allowed, not allowed, power play, cheating?

That being said, the option you chose as seen in your last reply is pretty good IMO. And safe.

Good gaming. :)

Archived