Best StormRaven loadout for current Meta...

Chaplain Gunzhard

So guys... I am finally getting around to finishing this one storm raven after several years of WIP. I play mostly against IG, GK, SM, DA, sometimes Bugs and Eldar and occasionally DE and other stuff.

What do you guys recommend, given the current metas, for a best all-around Storm Raven weapon loadout?

Thanks!

If you can spare the points, definitely grab the Hurricane Bolters. If you absolutely cannot, then go TLAC, TLMM.  Offers incredible versatility. 

The TLPC seems nice, but you cant really shoot anything in the air.  Also, the TLLC, though reliable means that if the raven survives and has spent all the missiles, it buzzes about shooting two shots a turn.  Not overly useful in most circumstances.

If you can spare the points, definitely grab the Hurricane Bolters. If you absolutely cannot, then go TLAC, TLMM.  Offers incredible versatility. 

The TLPC seems nice, but you cant really shoot anything in the air.  Also, the TLLC, though reliable means that if the raven survives and has spent all the missiles, it buzzes about shooting two shots a turn.  Not overly useful in most circumstances.

Yeah, the lascannon one seems disappointing.  I far more often use my AC one, despite the LC one being better painted.

I can't justify the Plasmacannon because of the inability to shoot enemy flyers.

Hurricane bolters are nice, but I'm not sure they are often worth the points.  I add them to my Assault Cannon raven when I have the points.

JamesI is pretty much saying everything I feel about it.

I will add my justifications though:

• I never have any trouble against things that a heavy bolter is good at killing, so the multi-melta is a no-brainer as it's free.
  • Assault cannon theories out to being better than the lascannon at all armour values, so unless I'm playing on enormous boards is also a no-brainer.
  • Hurricane bolters are neat-o, but they get lumped into a similar role as the heavy bolter and aren't free.
  • The versatility in being able to potentially blow a flying monstrous creature out of the sky in one turn is of high value to me.

Remember that assault cannons are better than lascannons at killing low AV (flyers and transports) and are about equal at killing AV14, although it's been a while since I've done the maths.

Plasma is a nice option, but I have enough of that in my tactical squads.

A raven putting out 12 TL bolt shots and 4 AC shots is always good.

I just got my first one this week. I am planning on getting setting mine up as a TLAC and TLMM with the additional Hurricane Bolter. Not sure if I even want to magnetize it because I think that this set up will give me everything I could need. 

I've played red space marines since 1st edition... BA since 2nd... the newest codex is coming out this year... you might wish you had magnetized them then hah - it's happened to me more times than I can count.

I just got my first one this week. I am planning on getting setting mine up as a TLAC and TLMM with the additional Hurricane Bolter. Not sure if I even want to magnetize it because I think that this set up will give me everything I could need.

I've played red space marines since 1st edition... BA since 2nd... the newest codex is coming out this year... you might wish you had magnetized them then hah - it's happened to me more times than I can count.

Amen Brother. Seriously good advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember: never ever... No; ALWAYS mag your weapons options! You don't know what's around the corner. 7th Ed might favour hoards. Your best battle buddy might build a green tide, or your gf falls for Belial. HB and hurricane Bolters are ace for swarms, plaz cans so useful Vs termis.

Atm flyers are best for air cav, strike and skarper, pinpoint target objectives. And all the above fire power might be best coming from the ground. Next dex might put ravens back in skimmer mode.

Just saying; for a few minutes work with some mags in the build you can prepare yourself for years of joy on the battle field.

zIve got mine kitted out with TLHB , TLAC and Hurricane bolters. Since it was a custom DIY model before the SR kit came out yet I dident magnetize anything though.... It has served me nicely mind. The high amount of dakka this thing can pour into an opponent is amazing! At a pinch it can also serve as light AT if you can get in the sides which tbh isent all that hard with a flier woot.gif

The missles also sometimes blow stuff up which is an added bonus. Tbh though if you dont magnetize the model make sure it fills a gap the rest of your army is struggling with. A SR is a little to pricey to do trivial things...

Archived