Tycho's dead mans hand, ap 2 or 3?

depthcharge12

Hello brothers,

Thought I'd stop in from my usual shenanigans in the heresy.

I had a question concerning Tycho as he is a beast and has plenty of modeling opportunities.

My question is regarding his Dead Man's hand. It says in the entry that it "ignores all armor saves" however we all know this was from 5th edition.

The FAQ doesn't say anything about it, however the rule book says that all special weapons count as AP3. Yet Abaddons sword is Ap2 and it said ignores all armor saves.

So AP2 or 3?

What do you guys think? Thanks

It doesn't have an AP value, his attacks just ignore armor and rolls 2D6 for pen. So no extras on the vehicle damage table. 

I'm inclined to agree with this but to muddy the waters a bit, ignoring armor would technically be AP 1 would it not?  (rules as written thou, it has no AP value atm unless its in the digital dex somewhere, don't have that)

It doesn't have an AP value, his attacks just ignore armor and rolls 2D6 for pen. So no extras on the vehicle damage table. 

I'm inclined to agree with this but to muddy the waters a bit, ignoring armor would technically be AP 1 would it not?  (rules as written thou, it has no AP value atm unless its in the digital dex somewhere, don't have that)

That depends on who you're fighting.  Ignoring armour can be anywhere from a 6+ save to a 2+ save...  So no, it wouldn't necessarily be AP1.

He just punches things and they die.  The way I see it is its half way between a powerfist.  Strikes at Init, but not nearly as strong since its his base str. instead of str.8 or 9.

And what do you guys imagine the hand to be like?

I took it literally and thought it was his left hand that had the skeletal artifice on it. I'm thinking it's like a phase knife that reaches through armor, which IMHO is pretty ba tongue.png

the GW model is sculpted with the left hand/arm to be the dead man's hand afaik. Anything kind of funky armor wise would probably work. I was going to use a 1k son arm for my kit bash till I found a bionic arm I liked a little better.

Its clear for fighting creatures/units as it states ignores ALL ARMOUR SAVES

Invulnerable saves only

BUT

Hes good at punching vehicles so it needs clarification to determine if its AP1 or AP2 for vehicle penetration results 

what that what you were wanting to know?

No AP listed, so it has no AP. It just ignores armour saves.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hes good at punching vehicles so it needs clarification to determine if its AP1 or AP2 for vehicle penetration results 

It's not complicated. If he doesn't have an AP he doesn't have an AP.

But now does it have the penalty for having ap - ?

IIRC that means -1 on the damage charts

No, Tycho is not AP-, his close combat attacks do not have an AP value, they simply ignore armour.

Ignoring armour saves does not mean AP1. Nor does not having an AP value mean AP- (An argument which has a logical flaw in it...).

^^ It's as simple as this smile.png

But now does it have the penalty for having ap - ?IIRC that means -1 on the damage charts

No, Tycho is not AP-, his close combat attacks do not have an AP value, they simply ignore armour.Ignoring armour saves does not mean AP1. Nor does not having an AP value mean AP- (An argument which has a logical flaw in it...).

^^ It's as simple as this :)

Thanks I guess I was making it more complicated than it need be haha

Just realized how much of a BAMF Tycho could be...

Yes indeed. Ld10 to the whole army, 2+4++, a combi melta that shoots special ammo, and he ignores armor saves and 2d6 armor pen.

I intend on putting him with a stern guard squad and possibly a divination Libby muwhahahaha

Oh oh Oh! While we're on the topic of our Crazed Captain, what form do you guys usually take him in?

Yes indeed. Ld10 to the whole army, 2+4++, a combi melta that shoots special ammo, and he ignores armor saves and 2d6 armor pen.

I intend on putting him with a stern guard squad and possibly a divination Libby muwhahahaha

See, I would think that you would want to take DC Tycho to take advantage of his Super Punch of Awesomeness. +1 Attack and +1 WS to his statline seems to add to it. Stick him with some bolter DC and bam! Is there a drawback that I'm not seeing?

In his normal form, I agree that Sternguard would be the best fit. But it seems like you're wasting the potential assault power in a shooty squad. The rites of battle rule could be pretty handy though. 

What do you guys use to determine what form you're taking Tycho in?

LG

Oh oh Oh! While we're on the topic of our Crazed Captain, what form do you guys usually take him in?

See, I would think that you would want to take DC Tycho to take advantage of his Super Punch of Awesomeness. +1 Attack and +1 WS to his statline seems to add to it. Stick him with some bolter DC and bam! Is there a drawback that I'm not seeing?

In his normal form, I agree that Sternguard would be the best fit. But it seems like you're wasting the potential assault power in a shooty squad. The rites of battle rule could be pretty handy though. 

What do you guys use to determine what form you're taking Tycho in?

LG

Problem with his DC form is that he CANNOT join the DC.  He's not listed as an independent character, therefor must roam the battlefield all by his lonesome.  Sucks.

I think ignoring armor is not an AP value, it ignores armor, i.e. disallows any armor save whatsoever.  Probably will be rectified to become AP3 in a future data slate, or the new codex, unfortunately.

As for what it looks like, it's normally supposed to be just a digiweapon of some kind, but I just painted mine with a bonish left hand:

http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_8363/gallery_60983_8363_11935.jpg

Archived