New to The Rock

Tenacious_B

Hail brothers, I'm new to the 40K universe and chose become a Dark Angel initiate. I started out with the Dark Vengeance box but quickly expanded my battle force with another Tactical squad, a Deathwing command squad, three more Ravenwing bikes, and a Venerable Dreadnought. I'm looking to play a mixed force and I'm looking for tips on load outs and future additions to my army.   

Well, play a few games and we can help point you in the right direction for your collection. Welcome to the Rock.I would suggest a command squad with a banner of devastation to go with your tactical squads, your Librarian will help those. Maybe a few Rhino's to go with them too. Since you have a lot of green wing so far a devastator squad will probably help. I prefer Lascannons or Plasma for mine. Hope this helps.

Welcome on board Brother!

As Dafoo suggests, get your models together, get a couple games so you get a general feeling both of your army and what you'll be likely to face and from there it'll be easier both to define your list and what style fits your way.

Its easier to help from a "I've tried this and I've found these problems" scenario :)

Thanks guy's. The army's I mainly play against are Dark Eldar, Necrons, Orks, and Blood Angels. And I'm hoping to get a large enough force that eventually I can pick and choose my army to counter whatever I think will be thrown at me, as well as hold my own in whatever tourny I wish to enter. 

Welcome brother. 

Having run a lot of greenwing before drastically expanding my army. I would suggest getting a Crusader to go with your army. For the points, it can handle most things with his hurricane bolters and twin linked assault cannons. You can also get a Multimelta to go with it as well. When I first started, didn't have any Ravenwing or Deathwing, the crusader helped fill in that gap. A librarian like our brothers mentioned in a good way to go as well.

My advice is to go to ebay and see if you can get the DA half of the DV set because from 2 of them you can make quite a good, cheap army that should be able to hold it's own against most forces.

I just thought of this the other day as I was mucking around with DW armies but if you use the DV set as a base and do some minor conversion work you can have 10 terminators with 2 CML's with Azreal (the DV company master already has all the wargear required), two tac squads (PC/PG isn't a bad loadout), and a full bike squad if you like.

I was going to buy 2 mortis contemptor dreads, however, but for a midrange shooty army 10 terminators all with a 4+ invulnerable is a pretty tough unit to kill off and can handle opposing cc units that might otherwise wreck your tacticals. Likewise AP2 weapons are a hard counter to all of the high T low armour save MC's around at the moment, such as riptides and wraithknights, and it looks like tyranids are going make alot more MC's popular so plasma weapons will be even more necessary.

I was contemplating getting a Mortis as well to counter my freind's Necron flying circus. (I do a lot of reading on this and other sites for tactica). But so far all the other armies I can hold my own against even as a begginer. (I have a habit of stomping the hoardy Orks with the multiple Plasma wepons as ConvertToaster mentioned).

For the Emperor and the Lion!

My advice is to go to ebay and see if you can get the DA half of the DV set because from 2 of them you can make quite a good, cheap army that should be able to hold it's own against most forces.

I just thought of this the other day as I was mucking around with DW armies but if you use the DV set as a base and do some minor conversion work you can have 10 terminators with 2 CML's with Azreal (the DV company master already has all the wargear required), two tac squads (PC/PG isn't a bad loadout), and a full bike squad if you like.

I was going to buy 2 mortis contemptor dreads, however, but for a midrange shooty army 10 terminators all with a 4+ invulnerable is a pretty tough unit to kill off and can handle opposing cc units that might otherwise wreck your tacticals. Likewise AP2 weapons are a hard counter to all of the high T low armour save MC's around at the moment, such as riptides and wraithknights, and it looks like tyranids are going make alot more MC's popular so plasma weapons will be even more necessary.

I'm thinking something similar for my Guardians of the Covenant. Azrael, Librarian with power field generator, Techmarine with power field generator (possibly on bike), Two tactical squads, Lascannon Dev squad, 5/ Terminators, 2 small bike squads and a smattering of equipment and if I have points an aegis line (though with 2 power generators and Azrael's helm I think it may be a little redundant......other than a quad gun that is.

First welcome to the rock.

Second if you are going to use a PFG might as well put the guy on a bike. Whatever unit you have the guy with may or eventually will get wiped and hopefully you PFG survives. Then you really want him going somewhere else and he has to footslog all the way there and probably wont make it. Also two PFG's I'd save the money on the aegis line.

I run a not so competitive group but I've found a prescience Libby with 4 Flakk ML's does really well for all around stuff though against cron air it might be a problem. However four lascannons also have a good bet of smoking one flyer a turn with prescience. From a collecting it looks awesome stand point get a Nephilim/Dark Talon. If you really can't stand the rules then use it as a stormtalon counts as if you think your gaming group would allow it. Remember there comes a point where the look of your models will mean as much if not more as if you win with them I've found.

I love the Deathwing Knights. Lucky for me they are awesome for one round if used right. I found if I want a distraction the deepstrike and pray they live method works well for me. Your mileage may vary though.

Once again welcome and play and have fun especially if your budget is limited use counts as and then buy what works for you and what you like.

P.S. Don't let the Chaplains scare you in Cell 42. I've found that chicks dig scars. The bruises went away after a week...............I'm still working on my random twitch though. Good Luck!

Yup. Some days you will do amazing things with them..............then some days the five guardsman will use overwatch and kill two and then manages to kill another in hand to hand...........and then you wiff all your attacks. At which point you should actually probably pick up your dice and go home..........or report to cell 42.

Yup. Some days you will do amazing things with them..............then some days the five guardsman will use overwatch and kill two and then manages to kill another in hand to hand...........and then you wiff all your attacks. At which point you should actually probably pick up your dice and go home..........or report to cell 42.

Grot shooting....

Archived