Suckerpuch with Assault squad

Garath

Here's the idea : 

Getting first blood is sometimes key  to winning so this a simple ,easy to use combo with the Assaut squad.

No.1

5 Assault marines , 2 flamers, sarge with combi flamer  

No2 

5 Assault marines, 2 plasma pistols, sarge with combi plasma 

Drop pod with DW launcher - FREE

Drop poding is nothing new , but having the whole deal for 130 pts a pod sure is.  Tho you do have to beware interceptor units, the price of this squad is really low comparing to the firepower they put out 

Izzat two pods or one?  Cause both those squads wont fit in one pod because they are two different units...  

You are also depending on a lot of luck...  What about against an all mech force and the Plasma Pistols cant pop the transports?  What about a guard/guant horde squad that you have no hope of annihilating with shooting alone?

That said, it's not a horrible idea and has been discussed before....

Oh dear, reading back my post...  I mean 2 different pods- and you take the one you need according to the opponent you're facing.   Of coures,  this isn't possible in a tourney.  

Either way, it's a bit of a gamble - but I don't  mind.  The setup is dirt cheap, and CAN get me first blood.  It might do nothing , or destroy a Wave serpent with the HQ in it...

with interceptor if you drop the pods or anything in you can avoid getting shoot if you have a way to block LOS by the end of your movement phase. So drop it with a building or something between the interceptor unit and the pods, or bringing in termies behind a land raider or something like that, Can't shoot what you can't see.

Indeed by RAW.

The RAW states that you get a drop pod for free. Not "a drop pod with the ML option for free.

The ML are in the options paragraph, hence are not included in the drop pod description and wargear.

You can try to argue as much as you wish but you'll be systematically refused by tourny organizers... As for friendly games... Well I can say by experience that a friendly game that start by a RAW argument on list composition never ends well.

Don't have the C:DA codex on me but I do have C:SM and the only 2 things you can even do with a droppod is swap it's stormbolter for a DWL for XXpts (cost of plasma gun) or purchase a locator beacon.  I'm pretty sure both codex entries are the same, I can't see why C:DA would get any options different for drop pods.

Should also point out that you can't fire the DWL on the turn it arrives as blast weapons can not snap fire.

Haha, which is funny considering that it's probably the "fastest" things in the game when you consider it dropping from space.

As a former BA player all I can say is assault marines that don't score are unimpressive. DA has way better choices for alpha strike, but this works pretty well in a penny pinching pure greenwing list. The flamer option is cool, I wouldn't use the plasma unless I was being fluffy.

As a former BA player all I can say is assault marines that don't score are unimpressive. DA has way better choices for alpha strike, but this works pretty well in a penny pinching pure greenwing list. The flamer option is cool, I wouldn't use the plasma unless I was being fluffy.

What would you drop in the pod?

~shrug~

This idea "might" get you first blood.  A lascannon in the back of your deployment zone "might" get you first blood, too...  Personally, I prefer that my assault marines have the mobility that comes with their jump packs.  If I want a deepstriking melee unit that walks everywhere after it arrives, I'll take a unit of deathwing. 

Look guys - I wasn't suggesting this is the grand tactic extrodenaire...to begin with, I was looking for a cheap unit to get me first blood .

A unit of DW terminators is a good choice - but for those pts I can get 2 such pods

I think finding a unit that's cheap and can give first blood is really just a strong cheap unit overall.  First blood usually comes from multiple units pouring shots into a small-medium, medium strength unit or armor that's been penetrated.

If you want to go the drop pod route you're only going to get 1 in on the first turn unless you bring 3, which then starts to get expensive.  A 5man tac squad with combi melta on sarge and a melta gun might have a chance of popping a vehicle, but like March said, for almost the same price so could a 4x Lascannon squad.  Additionally, a 5 man tac squad in a drop pod seems like a waste of space.

There seems to be a lack of communication here - I never suggested a tactical squad .

The whole concepts was around an Assault squad which gets the drop pod for free.  5 man with 2 flamers + sarge with combi flamer in a drop pod for 105 pts  is dirt cheap .

So bringing even 3 is still drit cheap for 9 flamer templates on turn one. 

Sorry it seemed like in your last post you opened the discussion up to a general "what's cheap and will get me first blood".

In that case with your proposal, so long as your drop pod doesn't scatter too far you'll probably score a good amount of wounds on the right chosen target.  Guaranteed first blood? Maybe not against space marines, but against most other codices, there's a good chance.

You would get 2 flamer templates turn one with three pods. Honestly that is the better route. Just use the third pod for something else maybe late game objective snag tac squad? I would choose termies over this though, although I do understand that you are going for a quick cheap punch. Which terminators definitely are not. Bonus is if your opponent is freaked out by it and focus fires your assault squads you only lost one ninth of your army.

Personnally, I prefer the combo : tactical with flamer, sgt with bolter flamer, techmarine with servo harness and bolter flamer in a drop pod.

250 pts more or less (I play 7-8 marines because the rapid fire may help), for 4 flamers templates + 12 bolter shoots so more or less as much as 2 assault squads with a comparable effect. The only difference is that they are scoring so it's really annoying for the opponent because he can't forget them.

The only thing most important in such tactic is to make sure that you have enough units to support them turn 2. So you must have RWBK or DW assault to support them. A lonely unit may give you first blood but it's more interesting to create a strategy that gives you first blood AND line breaker

Look guys - I wasn't suggesting this is the grand tactic extrodenaire...to begin with, I was looking for a cheap unit to get me first blood .

A unit of DW terminators is a good choice - but for those pts I can get 2 such pods

Not ~quite~... two such pods cost 40 points more...my point is that first blood isn't something you design your list around!  Design your list to cap objectives and harvest kill points.  Maybe keep linebreaker in mind...but kill the warlord and first blood are things you earn with tactics, not list design!

I'm listening... what do you use? 

~sigh~

First blood, as I said, isn't something you build a list abound. It's something you keep in mind in terms of avoiding surrendering first blood to the enemy...and a 5 man squad deepstriking within half-range of the enemy's basic shooting weapon sounds like a great way to give up first blood on the cheap!  Sure, it's possible that you harvest that first blood point with a drop-pod that disgorges three templates on arrival...but only if the enemy gave you a fragile unit to target.  If he's following the rule that you don't field units that fold like a cheap suit in the face of three S4 AP5 templates, then your five man unit not only fails to harvest that (single) VP, it surrenders it.  In order to have a really decent chance of getting that VP, you need three drop pod loads of the unit you're talking about...which will run you nearly 400 points...and that's not a good plan for "I'm gonna get me first blood!"

Moreover it is likely your opponent get the first blood by intercepting your pod. The problem with such pod squads is that they need to be close from the enemy to be efficient due to the close range of their weapons => more risk to land in LoS of a multi tube autocannon.

Like it has been said : 2 means you still get one in first turn

3 is more than termis AND it blocks all your FA slot for that "tactics" meaning you must get rid of RWBK. That's more than the simple price they cost, because it means you get rid of a fantastic unit just for one VP.

I'm with march10k on this one : if you get the first blood but your opponent gets the other VP with ease, I don't really see the point.

Drop poding is nothing new , but having the whole deal for 130 pts a pod sure is. Tho you do have to beware interceptor units, the price of this squad is really low comparing to the firepower they put out

I've had a similar idea against super heavies

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b606/Dark_master1/Company%20Vets/4CA39579-83A6-40FF-90E9-93E6BE8E04F6_zps8sopjlob.jpg

10 company vets

5 x Combi Meltas

2 x melta guns

1x multi melta

2x storm shield.

Will only see 'big' games as the unit is expensive. But 7 meltas and 1 snap shot multi melta should give my opponent's super heavy something to worry about.

Plus a beacon in the drop pod gives an extra point to DWA too.

DM

Archived