Suckerpuch with Assault squad

Garath

combat-squadding on arrival makes it slightly more likely that 1-2 marines survive the turn of their arrival, but it also makes it incredibly unlikely that your opponent won't get first blood if your meltas whiff...and whiffs happen.  My knights smited a trygon for all of one lousy hit point playing against pbenner the other night!   The only thing that would make me combat-squad on arrival is if I was trying to melta two targets.

Well if your opponent sets up in a "Castle" formation then this unit is just as well podded to your side of the board and slogged across...   this only works if you can pick off a flanker unit and limit the amount of return fire your squads take...   It's very situational, unless there is something that MUST DIE...  that might make it a good trade off.  Like Grav Centurions or a Riptide...

I don't try too hard to get that first blood.  I do my damnedest to deny it by not giving you anything easy to shoot at before I rip your face off on turn two, though.  Usually, that works for me, you have to either kill a venerable land raider with a 4++ or a librarian you can't see to get that KP, so if you get that, you've earned it!

How can you ask for cheap when your previous go-to unit was a drop pod full of Sternguard, even before you buy them wargear they are hardly a cheap solution.

And no I'm not relying on my lascannon for first blood.  With supporting fire from multiple units I hope to score a first blood or weaken threats from my enemy to mitigate any future losses from their turn of shooting. 

Good luck finding your silver bullet unit, when you find something let us know.

I ment the stample drop pod unit of 5th ed was sternguard.  Never said "I" used it.  I was primarly playing Orks at the time.  Hated 5th ed -It sucked and I'm glad it's over.

Don't know if the drop pod unit for DA exists- so asking you guys would be a good idea - all of us play by the same codex

I'm still trying to find my foothold in 6th ed.  No single setup is what I would find stable for me.  

The local meta consists of :

- A veteran Chaos powergamer with 3 Helldrakes

-another Vet with new flying Tyranids

- a "that guy" playing Necrons ,3-Scythes,3Ann barks etc

- a solid vet player playing Tau

- a born champ that can play any army(and has 7 of them)

- 3 new guys that have been playing since 6th came out- and they all play Eldar

And the rest of the crew that are either new, bad or too fluffy to be worth of list building headaches.  I can literally put any squad in my army and will have a very solid chance of wining.

I'm not being over critical here, or trying to sound cocky - but only these few setups mentioned worry me  .  One thing to note, I my meta , people don't use allies.  Tournies don't support them.  Don't ask me why.

With all that in mind, you can clearly see that unless I'm playing against Tau- interceptor is not a major concern                                   

My knights smited a trygon for all of one lousy hit point playing against pbenner the other night!  

This was glorious!  What I thought was going to be a pile of goo ended up surviving the smite and tarpitted against the Knights for most of the game.  Then again, both my Trygons were wiffing pretty hard as well.  It goes to show that the Knights are very survivable, considering that my Trygons x2 were stuck in with (3) DWK for 3 rounds?  They also continued to sink a wound or two through those turns, nearly taking down one of the brutes.  

I'll work on that BatRep tomorrow.  I'll have to figure out a way to get a good over-head shot of the table from directly above for the next one.  

Paul

Belial's performance was pretty good, though.  He cut down a tervigon in a challenge (and never needed the reroll afforded by the five man cheering section) and then finished off the wounded trygon...nine wounds put on TMCs (one was overkill), and nothing in return, then it took two flyrants with their 12 twinlinked S6 shots each, plus a swarm of nearly 30 gaunts to torrent him to death.  Strangely enough, I drew eldar as my opponent tonight in exactly the same mission and deployment (purge the alien on short table edges), and came within two models (one a flier) of tabling him the way you tabled me, Paul.  Sometimes the dice gods laugh with you, and sometimes they laugh at you. 

Archived