Deathwing Grav Centurion Phobia!

Scarion

So as a side project for me I have a 1500pt Deathwing force, it basically has belial and like 25 terminators. Last Saturday I was playing a friendly 1500pt game at my local store against an ultramarine play, well guess what, he had two units of grav centurions with grav amps! Now these thing are insane against my deathwing (or any 2+ heavy lists). I literally lost something like 18 out of 25 of my terminators in the first turn of shooting!

How, fellow brothers do we avoid this mass deathwing slaughter aandwin against these abominations?

Any help/tactics/advice would be extremely nice as I do not have a clue.

Thanks Scarion

First, Use cover right.  He cant shoot you if he cant get LOS.

First turn droppod (with a Missile launcher) a squad of Assault marines with plasma pistols or the CoVets squad loaded with combi meltas right behind the Centurions.

Black Knights for plasma nastyness and as a Teleport homer for Deep Striking.

Dont Termies still get their 2+ normal save against grav weapons?  If not then:

DW Knights with a 3++ as the closest unit granting cover to squads behind...   A couple Hammernators in each squad so that he has to get through the 3++

Land Raiders.

they are AP 2 weapons and they use your armor save to wound on (so 2+ armor save = 2+ to wound). They are really nasty plus they can each shoot 5 shoots of grav weapons + another heavy weapon (heavy bolter or rockets I think). I played a game a while back and he had 3 of them and I was playing my ravenwing. them 3 models killed 1 squad per turn without even trying. If they know what they are doing they will place them in cover so they are hell to kill as well (T5 2+ save, 2 wounds each). The plus said they can't deep strike and the only transport for them is a land raider but they don't need to do either really. Force weapons I think are really good at taking them down or just a mass amount of stuff.

Thanks Pyro...  It was the AP2 that I was missing in my head...

@ the OP:  So you are only running squads of 5 termies so he can only kill 5 max at a time per squad of Centurions per turn right.  They do not get split fire do they?  

The Drop pod I mentioned on turn one can also homing beacon for your DWA on turn two since it was on the table at the start of the turn...   (If your opponent hasnt killed it yet...)

@Dean, they can potentially Splitfire if they upgrade their sgt with an Omni scope.

@OP, yes, they are scary, but as has been said, using LoS blocking terrain to maneuver the follow in with staying in cover (the only downside is if they snag Perfect Timing on a psyker which gives them ignore cover, then you're down to invuln saves).

Brother Dean is on to something strong in that the centa can only reliably put wounds on 1 squaf a turn. Id advise rolling in with DWA (a landraider is chancy as 3x Grav cents only need 3x6's out of 15 shots per turn to wreck it (hull point + imobi, then 2hp each result after).

Use of support units is key: Rw BlackKnights is clutch as they can Rad grenade(brining the T5 cents into ID range of PF/THs) also plasma talons to bring AP2, and teleport homes to maximize your DWA; Some LC dreads to fire down range (again, high ap, plus ID if you get rad grenade hits in there).

They are a tough matchup, but the Deathwing earned their name by scouring an ENTIRE PLANET OF GENESTEELERS, they can overcome a few mareens in power armor inside power armor ;-)

I've played Deathwing for a long time.... It is all about wound denial. Dont give them targets. Expose overwhelming force to a single squad at a time and wipe it out. Force them to shoot at the front squad (preferably Hammernators or DWKs with 3++) and dont offer the ones behind without serious cover saves.....

Now actually pulling off the theory in game is another story.....pinch.gif

Good point on the Rad grenades.... I've only been playing RW this edition, you would have thought I could have reasoned that out myself...

Thanks guys that helps alot! So what im getting from this is that I need to avoid getting into LoS and then hit them hard with fists, hammers etc, however I should take maybe a dread in a droppod to get a locator beacon allowing me to gain better security when deepstriking. Also Black Knights and Deathwing Knights are all good at killing them. Plus if I DWA nearish to them so I can charge the turn after I arrive wont I have the same issue? Plus would anyone be kind enough to write out a suitable list to use in my semi-friendly games.

Thanks guys this helps LOADS!

Given I never fought against grav guns to date, I would go with the other Brothers have said. I do suggest Black Knights with the rad grenades and mixed squads of Deathwing. Plasma Cannon in one squad and Assault cannon in the other. Plasma for both fluffy and damage purposes and the assault cannon for the potential of rending shots. Also DWA in to catch them as well. Twin Linked the turn the deep strike. 

Another thing to remember is that Belial does not scatter, period, end of discussion, when he deep-strikes.  Use him and a squad that can lay a shooting hurt AND a melee-whooping on the Centurions together (have Belial join the squad at the moment of deployment, so they all deep-strike together without any scatter), and drop them as close as possible.  Your shooting will be twin-linked, so you have a good chance to lay some wounds on, then you'll be able to charge on your next turn to finish them off.

I'd think that a 5-man squad for this should be a couple of TH/SS to tank the wounds, plus any of the heavy weapons the Deathwing gets, and then one more kitted out as you like to go with the SGT and Belial.

they are AP 2 weapons and they use your armor save to wound on (so 2+ armor save = 2+ to wound).

So it's a mission for ....

THE BLACK KNIGHTS!

A little grenade launcher shoot with -1T and BAM! Insta kill plasma for everybody !

You mean everybody with a starting toughness of 4. I believe the centurions have T5.

Yeh they have toughness T5 which means I would be needing meltas which again is hard to come buy with Deathwing I was thinking 3 black knights with TPH then deepstrike the Deathwing Knights very close and then BAM! hit them with the str 10 ap 1 maces of awesomeness and then Bob's your uncle!

they are AP 2 weapons and they use your armor save to wound on (so 2+ armor save = 2+ to wound).

So it's a mission for ....

THE BLACK KNIGHTS!

A little grenade launcher shoot with -1T and BAM! Insta kill plasma for everybody !

You mean everybody with a starting toughness of 4. I believe the centurions have T5.

It's puts lascannons and THs at the ID threshold though!

Archived